Strat vs. Tele?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by guitarz_dave, May 20, 2006.

1. guitarz_dave

guitarz_dave Member

I've been a Gibson player, but after my '77 Les Paul got the best of my back (it was 13 pounds), I've been trying other guitars. So far I've been happy with a Gibson CS336 and PRS McCarty, though I'm going to get a Fender to play around with too. I'm experimenting with an EJ Strat, which seems really great so far. (I play rock, blues, some jazz and some country).

My question is this: if you were going to start with one (nice) Fender, would you get a Strat or Tele, and what would be your reasons?

Thanks.

2. Crumblebum

Crumblebum Member

Strat................more versatile, more comfortable, more choice.

3. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

Telecaster

This is one way to sum up the Tele:

10 Perfect Guitars and their Applications

by Joey Leone
    http://myrareguitars.com/10perfectguitars.html

But mostly, just because it's a more bare bones guitar.

To me, Strats are just too overused these days anyhow.

Pete

4. GTRJoe

GTRJoe Supporting Member

Strat for all the reasons mentioned above and the tremolo is a nice option as well.

5. KRosser

KRosser Member

The first really nice guitar I owned was a late 60's 335. I worked like a dog, saved my money and bought it. It was my guitar all the way through Junior High and High School. I got bitten by the Fender bug my senior year in high school, which began in September 1979. My choice was a brand new Tele. I was under the impression, for some reason, that I could only have one nice guitar at a time, so I sold the 335 for $250 (ouch....). I used that for several years until I bought my first really nice Tele, a natural '72 Thinline, I guitar I loved but which I sold after it developed some issues, which I'm kicking myself over now because a good repairman could have fixed all of them. From there it was a Carruthers Strat for a couple years until I missed the Tele thing...I went back to parts Teles for a couple years then onto G&L ASAT's as well as developing a big thing for Jerry Jones guitars, then Saul Koll's, only now I know I can have more than one guitar at a time and I keep all the guitars I like..

Anyway, to answer your question, I've never even owned a Fender Strat (though I currently own one superb G&L Legacy), so there....

6. BarneyFife

BarneyFife Supporting Member

You may find that one "fits" you better than the other. After years of dual humbucker guitars, I bought a Grosh strat. Loved the way it played and sounded at home, but not on stage. Got a Suhr strat, same thing. Fender Custom Shop strat, ditto. Back to Grosh, same thing once again. Apprehensively bought a Grosh Tele, LOVED IT! I now play that one and a Suhr with a neck bucker.

All of the strats were wonderfull guitars. Other people sounded great on them. But I did not. I just sound better on a Tele than I do a Strat. I don't know why, but it cost me a lot of money to find that out.

I would say buy a good Tele AND a good Strat (you don't have to spend a lot of money for either). And see which one fits you best.

7. TwoGeez

TwoGeez Member

3 Pound???? An LP? Is that a typo? You're not going to find a strat or tele that weighs much less than that, and depending on wood type, some will probably even weigh a little more....

8. TwoGeez

TwoGeez Member

BTW, Strats are my favorite guitars... Go with a Strat

9. thintele

thintele Member

Strats are definately a more versatile guitar, but there is something about a Tele in its simplicity that just really makes me prefer it. That bridge pick up cranked through the right amp is just Rock n Roll . But also since my band is dabbling in some country-ish and Americana it seems the perfect fit. BUT...I will always have a Strat or two... or three
    Hell just buy both and get it over with:dude

10. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

They are different but both can sound as good as the player is capable of playing. No, teles don't get that out of phase quack, middle pickup honk, or sweet yet clear neck pup sound, and strats can't quite cop the bridge twang or neck/bridge pup combo brilliance and funk but both are fine instruments for many styles of music.

Contrary to somewhat popular opinion I find the tele is easier to play with a simpler and more manageable sonic palette and control layout (2 pickups/knobs versus 3!). Sometimes fewer decisions is better. I also like the neck/bridge combo for ensemble work. That preference would win out over my enjoyment of the excellent strat neck pup sound and the ability to generate automatic funk with the in-between thang. Close call though.

I play both. I like the band saw construction appeal and minimalist functional headstock shape of the tele but I can certainly appreciate the sexy comfortable curves of a strat.

So I'd get one that looks best to me.

Seriously

hunter

11. stephenT

stephenT Silver Supporting Member

Get the Strat and then buy the hat, you'll be "Strat in a Hat".

12. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

I love Strats...but there's nothing as amazing sounding as a good Telecaster bridge pickup.

I'd never not have both but the Tele is the quintessential electric guitar. Hardly any bling, especially compared to Gretsch & Gibson {the biggest blingers ever invented!}, but tonally the most sophisticated guitar ever manufactured. Quite rightly, buy a Tele.

13. 900

900 Member

14. jonleecourage

jonleecourage Member

I primarily like strats and they speak to me more/are "my sound", but I'm not sure I agree it's more versatile than a tele. Yes, you can get more tonal combinations on a strat, but to me they're all uniquely "strat" sounds. With a tele, particularly if you're willing to stick a mini, a p90, or a bucker in the neck slot, you can cover way more tonal ground without having sounds that are immediately identifiable as "tele". Add a strat p/u in the middle and you've got even more versatility. I guess you could do likewise on strats too tho.

Somehow I've always imagined the tele as the ultimate grab-n-go guitar, a kind of swiss army knife, and as someone above said, it's kind of a "guitar's guitar", another way of saying it's just quintessential guitar archetype.

In the end, it's really a very personal choice - play lots of guitars and find the one that speaks to you most, that you bond with; it'll jump out at ya.

15. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

Play both and see which applies to your style the most. Tele's are great rhythm guitars with distinctive tone. I have been a strat guy for most of my life, but am coming around to love the tones and applications of Teles...not to mention there are too many strats out there. Either way you'll be pleased.

As for weight, they are making lighter Les Pauls now-a-days. You have many options.

16. lhallam

lhallam Member

Iluvstrats made me realize than I needed the trifecta - LP, Strat & Tele.

So happy I did.
    PS - Added a P-90 for good measure. :drool

17. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

I've found Telecasters to be much more versatile, and much more of a natural fit for me...

18. deepbluez

deepbluez Member

Really comes down to the style of music you're playing...for me, back then, a Strat was the ticket. Now...I can't imagine not having atleast one of each.

If you like the EJ hang on to it and find a tweaked MIM tele on the cheap...you'll soon see why "both" is a popular answer to your question.

dpblz

19. guitarz_dave

guitarz_dave Member

Ok, I'm keeping the EJ Strat (which I REALLY love) and will have to look into a Tele too :AOK

20. George Johnson

George Johnson Member