Strat w/a Brazilian Rosewood Slab

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Housered, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Housered

Housered Member

Never played one. What is so magical about Brazilian Rosewood?

Thanks!

2. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

Mainly the fact that Fender switched to Indian RW! Everyone wants what is no longer available.

But seriously, BRW can have spectacular visual beauty. It also sounds a bit brighter to my ears compared to IRW, just a touch closer to ebony. I like it but would not pay tons more money for it, especially on a strat.

It is a pretty small component in the overall guitar tone. That means nothing to most players, but to some folks it is worth the money. Each person must decide for himself/herself.

3. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Brazilian certainly smells better. So if you're the kind that sniffs fingerboards in your spare time, the upcharge is a small price to pay to feed your fetish.

4. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

If you are the kind that sniffs fingerboards in your spare time, then you also probably sniff a lot of other stuff as well and don't have much time to actually play the guitar. :)

5. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

To my ears, Brazilian rosewood fretboards tend to sound more focused than Indian rosewood. But, the fretboard type is only one contributor to overall tone...so one can't say that "more focused" will be true in every case.

Tone is very subjective...and, to me, round laminated rosewood fretboards on Strats tend to sound better than slabs...but that's only one guy's opinion.

6. MisterTV

MisterTV Supporting Member

+1
    I think it's 99% the "forbidden fruit" appeal. If Leo Fender made the first Strat fingerboards out of elephant tusks, there would be a contingent today saying it was the most pure sound possible, never again to be replicated.