Strat weird low e string overtones question...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by guitarplayaman, Mar 21, 2006.

1. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

Ok...my hiway 1 strat has this weird overtone happening on the low e string..

it's not the pickup height...tried that. IT's especially noticeable up around the 10th fret and higher...it's like a weird nasty overtone..throws off my ability to intonate it.

what is this and how can i fix it myself?

THANKS!

GP

2. trisonic

trisonic Member

If it's not "wolftones" from the pick ups then it almost certainly the strings.

I used to use DR Blues until I had a batch that I could not intonate - I was tearing my hair out adjusting the bridge saddles back and forth when I realized that the strings were sick....dumped them and have had no further problems (I moved onto Burnished Nickels and then Dean's S.O.B.)

Best, Pete.

3. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

have you tried a new string? i've had defective strings do that.

4. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

I have tried two different gauges of strings messing with this guitar...seems to be there either way.

5. Evan Gluck

Evan Gluck Member

sometimes even if the pickups are at the lowest point possible they still affect the string, that is a good time to check out the micro-tilt to be sure, then make a real shim from wood to get the angle.
    Evan

6. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

thanks Evan...might be time to take it to a pro...

7. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

I was just going to say the same thing. I've had problems in the past with trem springs and bridge saddle screws not being down all the way that caused weird resonance things. If it isn't the strings, check these.

Steve

8. Sol

Sol Member

If the problem gets worse as you get to the 12th fret, it could be the nut that needs looking at.
    If the string is not sitting in its slot accurately you can get strange things comming across as you near the 12th fret.
    If your having intonation problems as well its even more likely to be the nut.
    Have a look at it anyway it cant hurt and it might just be the fix you need.

Sol

9. Greggy

Greggy Member

I'd suggest you check the trem springs also. I had a similar problem with my strat, I stuffed soft cotton between the springs and the cavity body and the problem is solved.

10. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

thanks guys. Don't think it's the trem...or the bridge saddles could be the way the nut is sitting because...i can tune the guitar up play and open e chord...it's in tune then when i play your basic g chord the low e is way out of tune....

11. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

If it's sharp then it sounds like the nut slot needs to be deepened some.

12. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

i tried to deepen the nut...didn't seem to fix it.

still going sharp....