• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Strat - Where do you pick?

buddastrat

Depending on the sound I want, for a full sound, over or closer to the neck. Sometimes I pick on the fingerboard for that thing. But when I'm palm muting, obviously further back. Don't limit yourself to one spot.

Lots of people pick near the bridge then they blame the guitar, especially the bridge single coil, saying it's weak or tinny, when it's really them making it tinny.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Yep, back towards the bridge for more treble/twang - hell sometimes I pick up on the neck for extra fatness.

try a nice thick rounded V-pick or your index fingernail up around the 15th fret. chunky.
Exactly opposite of how I would describe it.
I find it mellow with an airy edge, picking there.
I'm usually just to the neck side of middle. Very common.

anominous

Exactly opposite of how I would describe it.
I find it mellow with an airy edge, picking there.
I'm usually just to the neck side of middle. Very common.

must be in the technique. when I'm doing it, I'm going for chunk

not metal chunk... funk chunk

zztomato

I finger pick. Most often between the middle and bridge pickup resting my hand on the bridge.

wookyoftheyear

Silver Supporting Member
Generally between the neck and middle pickups, closer to the neck.

But yeah, I play toward the bridge or up on the neck for certain sounds. It varies a lot depending on strumming, fingerpicking, single-notes, and clean/dirty tones, if I'm playing with someone else, etc. But to a certain extent, even that's subconscious.

KWthinline

While I love my Strat, I always gravitate towards my Tele because no middle pickup to obstruct my playing!!!!!!! Someday I will find the proper picking technique on the Strat....

J-E-M

Between the neck and bridge pickups, right where the non-existent mid pickup on my strat would be.

hvactech

Silver Supporting Member
As someone already mentioned at the neck of slightly higher for that fat singing sound or nice rounded out chords. Plus more of your subtle nuances come from there like your slight pinch harmonics and such. Thats where I prefer anywhere around the bridge becomes to thin brittle and lifeless. Imo

Jonny D

In general, I play fairly far forward (which is why the placement of the volume control doesn't really bother me), but I do play right back at the bridge for certain sounds.

DT7

If on the bridge pup or middle-bridge combo, right between the middle and bridge pups. Good for palm muting and snark.

If on the neck pup, between the neck and middle pups, usually. Good sweet tone on the neck pup there.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom