1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Strat wiring diagram for blender pot?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by atomheartmother, Jun 23, 2006.

1. atomheartmother

atomheartmother Senior Member

Does anyone know of a wiring diagram for a Strat that includes a blender pot? So basically it'd be: three SC pickups, 5 way, master volume, master tone, blender.

2. stucker

stucker Member

The Lindy Fralin website has a good Strat schematic with the belender.

Scott

3. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Member

4. atomheartmother

atomheartmother Senior Member

Is that from Acme? That is where I'd get the pot from.

5. has-sound

has-sound Member

I believe it is from the Fralin site.

-Stan

6. xroads

xroads Member

Is the blender pot 250k or 500k?

7. has-sound

has-sound Member

If I had to guess, I'd say 250k.

-Stan

8. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Member

I have the one from Acme and it's pretty cool. I'm pretty sure all the pots are 250 if my memory is correct.

9. xroads

xroads Member

Thanks guys! I rewired my strat using a 250k blender pot on Saturday, and I like the results I am getting so far. The schematic depicted above turns on the neck PU on if the pot is tuned down. Is that right?

10. LaXu

LaXu Member

Do you need a special pot for the blender or does an ordinary pot, like what is now wired as a tone pot in a strat, work for this? I've never been a big tone pot user so having it possible to bring in the neck pickup whenever I want would be cool.

11. Luke V

Luke V Member

If you're on the bridge pos. turning up the pot blends in the neck pickup, in the neck position, it will blend in the bridge pickup, in pos. 2 + 4, you can get all 3 pickups. The volume kit shown above is great too.

12. scottlr

scottlr Member

I have a Strat that came to me with a blender pot. I can't say I have found it useful. I haven't done anything to it, but I seem to keep it in the notch all of the time. Moving it from there doesn't do anything that is pleasing to my ears. I have no idea how its wired, but I think I'd prefer to just have a regular tone pot and have it connected to the Bridge pup. I have this done to one of my 4 Strats, and I love it! I actually finally use the bridge pup with a tone control! I never understood the reasoning for NOT having a tone control for that pup.
    If someone can explain the usefulness of the blender pot, next time I fire this Strat up, I'll mess with it, though. I am open minded about it.

13. Sean

Sean Supporting Member

14. scottlr

scottlr Member

Sean! THAT sounds interesting! So the Bridge is ON all the time, and volume control determines how much, if any, is applied to whatever selection you have? I am printing the diagram out for future reference.

15. xroads

xroads Member

Scott,
    I find that turning on the bridge and neck PU (full blending in) you get an imitation of a tele sound.
    Moreover, adding just a bit of the neck PU to the bridge gives a nice crunch rhythm sound.
    Otherwise, I agree with you: the initial idea of blending had a lot more appeal to me on paper than it turned out in the real world...

16. IndieHead

IndieHead Member

frens, I recently had this wiring done, following the K7 wiring setup posted by kinmans. the thing great about it is now i have a master tone which can control the harshness of the bridge pickup. but when i tired to blend in the neck/bridge, all 3 pickups....i dun really hear that much of a difference! prob just a slight difference to my ears!

the tech who did it for me, just used the same pots on the guitar. I understand the blender pot needs to be no load..... wats wrong with my wiring?

Please advise.

17. Stratman76

Stratman76 Member

There seems to be some confusion here.

A Blender pot is a no load pot - not a stock pot (pun mercilessly intended;-)

Based on conjecture and not experience, Blender wiring provides-
    Position 1- blend potential of the Bridge and Neck pups using the Blender pot (Bridge pup also available solo)
    Position 2- Bridge and Middle pups (blends in neck pickup dependent on Blender pot setting)
    Position 3- Middle only
    Position 4- Middle and Neck (blends in bridge pickup dependent on Blender pot setting)
    Position 5- blend potential of Neck and Bridge using the Blender pot (Neck pup also available solo)

Tone 1 is a Master Tone control for all positions.
    Tone 2 is your no load Blender pot.

I've never done this, so I'm asking for verification. Is this correct?

From Acme Guitarworks Strat Blender diagram-
    When the Blender is fully clockwise, it is out of the circuit and does nothing. Turning it counter clockwise in positions 1 and 2 mixes in the neck pickup; turning in counterclockwise in position 3 has no effect; turning it counterclockwise in positions 4 and 5 mixes in the bridge pickup.

The indication here is that stock positions 2 (bridge and middle) and 4 (neck and middle) could be left "normal" provided the Blender pot is fully clockwise.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  18. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

I like pictures so...

[​IMG]

19. Stratman76

Stratman76 Member

testing1two...thank you! This looks very cool. I can't see any reason not to do it? What are you giving up? When neck and bridge are blended together in positions 1 and 5, are we getting the same humbucking (noise reducing) effect as we get in 5-way stock positions 2 and 4?

20. jawjatek

jawjatek Member

I used a slightly different wiring method for the blender pot - I only wanted it active when the bridge pickup is selected in pos 1 or 2 (move the "bridge" blender pot wire to the bridge PU terminal on the other side of the switch and wire the poles together like standard wiring). Mixing the N & B gives me a tone similar to Albert Collins tele, but I don't find that sound (or any other of the blender sounds) very useful, so I am ditching the blender and changing all my strats back to vol, neck&middle tone, bridge tone. I use standard CTS pots modified for no-load for all tone pots. I like to roll the tone way down on the bridge pickup, it gives a nice old-school growl I find very useful, and I can leave it pre-set. YMMV but this works best for me.