1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Strat wiring, do u have to use same cap for both ..

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by bluesking55, May 22, 2011.

1. bluesking55

bluesking55 Supporting Member

tone controls?
    How would I wire it up for 2 separte tones? What lugs on the tone control should it be wired 2 and then grounded?

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

of course not. two different size caps makes perfect sense, especially when mixing different kinds of pickups.

the wire comes in to the counter-clockwise lug of each pot, the cap goes on the center lug, and the other end of the cap goes to ground.

3. whiteop

whiteop Senior Member

.1, .047, .022, .015 are cap values I use regularly. I like the orange spragues and vitamin Q oil caps best. The higher the value the more the low end u get but to be honest it doesn' t seem to make that much difference.

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

that's not quite right. you get less highs, not more lows.

the bigger the cap, the lower the "cutoff" in frequencies, above which the signal goes away when you turn the tone knob down. a .01μF cap leaves in plenty of midrange and just kills the high treble, while a .05μF cap kills some mids, too.

the low end itself is the same no matter what.

(also, it totally depends on what pickup you have as to how much the cap affects it; a "hot" pickup with a higher DC resistance gets affected more, so a smaller cap is plenty to darken it.)