• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Strat Wiring: Help Me Find This, Please

Torren61

Okay, so, I built/assembled a Brian May Red Special tribute guitar prototype on a '69 Tele Thinline reproduction body. I used one volume and six slide switches. Kinda busy pickguard.

Yesterday, I was rewiring my FrankenStrat. First, I wired it Nashville style and then i wired it Fender style and then I wired it Eric Johnson style and now it's just kinda Jimmy Vaughn style with a blend pot for the bridge and neck.

Then, I saw a wiring diagram from Seymour Duncan. It used a push/pull on one of the pots so you could activate the bridge pickup with the neck pickup. That way, if you were in the neck or neck/middle positions, you could add the bridge in there as well. I can add the bridge pickup the way I have the guitar wired now and use the second tone pot as a blend pot.

Last night, I woke up around two in the morning and realized there MUST be a way to use two more push/pull pots in the middle and bridge position to reverse their phase. The neck push/pull pot would stay put in it's phase but would add the bridge.

So here's what you get: Bridge only, bridge and middle, bridge and middle reverse phase, middle only, middle and neck, middle and neck reverse phase, bridge and middle and neck, bridge and middle and neck reverse phase bridge, bridge and middle and neck reverse phase middle, bridge and middle and neck reverse phase bridge and middle, bridge and neck, bridge and neck reverse phase bridge, neck only.

Your "footprint" for pots and switches remains the same as stock. Just a five-way slider switch and three push/pull pots.

I emailed Seymour Duncan to ask about a schematic for what I'm trying to do but I don't expect to get a schematic back from them. They have tons of stuff to do. I've been Googling but I can't find a schematic for this. Can you help me find one? THANKS in advance!

Brian N

Here, I drew up this diagram for you:

You'll need to add push-pull pots onto the other 2 pots that don't currently have them. Then instead of wiring the neck and middle pups directly to the switch, wire them to the pot like this diagram (neck to one pot, middle to the other, leave the bridge as is)

Quote me if you have any questions about it or I won't see it.

Torren61

Here, I drew up this diagram for you:

You'll need to add push-pull pots onto the other 2 pots that don't currently have them. Then instead of wiring the neck and middle pups directly to the switch, wire them to the pot like this diagram.

Quote me if you have any questions about it or I won't see it.
Hey, wow, thanks for that. So, if I use the Seymour Duncan wiring schematic for the one push/pull and then sub two more push/pulls with this schematic, that'll do what I'm hoping it'll do?

Brian N

Hey, wow, thanks for that. So, if I use the Seymour Duncan wiring schematic for the one push/pull and then sub two more push/pulls with this schematic, that'll do what I'm hoping it'll do?
Yes, it will. The push-pull portion of the pots are completely independent of the pot itself, so you can set it up however you want. On the diagram I made up, the pickup will have standard wiring when the pot is in, and reversed phase when the pot is pulled out.

Torren61

Yes, it will. The push-pull portion of the pots are completely independent of the pot itself, so you can set it up however you want. On the diagram I made up, the pickup will have standard wiring when the pot is in, and reversed phase when the pot is pulled out.
That's perfect! I can hardly wait to do some soldering.

Trending Topics