strat wiring help....please

douglas225

i am struggling to find a wiring diagram and/or mod that would help me do the following:

- change the volume knob to a rotary type pickup selector switch
- change the middle tone to the master volume
- change the bottom tone to a master tone
- i would leave the current switch in place but it would be inoperable

can anyone point me in the right direction

b_rogers

I think you are gonna have to buckle down and study some wiring diagrams and learn a little about potentiometers. You can copy a diagram of a standard single tone vol pot and then just run all the pickup leads to the poles of the switch in the appropriate order. Then the out of the switch to the controls and out out jack as normal

Gclef

Why?
A rotary is usually a 6 position switch? Why bother? A superswitch will give you all the wiring possibilities with the easy usage of a strat switch.
Did you ever try to switch a rotary on the fly accurately?

There are plenty of wiring diagrams for the superswitch too.

Good luck!

douglas225

Why?
A rotary is usually a 6 position switch? Why bother? A superswitch will give you all the wiring possibilities with the easy usage of a strat switch.
Did you ever try to switch a rotary on the fly accurately?

There are plenty of wiring diagrams for the superswitch too.

Good luck!
one of my goals in suggesting a rotary was to get rid of that switch....it is constantly being hit. i thought the rotary may fit nicely at the existing vol knob/pot location.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
It took me a few starts to get use to the switch.
I would still council against a rotary, unless you are not the type of player to switch p'ups mid tune, and in that scale, the bottom tone position might be better so you still have proximity access to the volume.
Maybe a 5way style tele switch horizontal... That might come across very clever in a strat arrangement.

Trending Topics