Strat wiring mod mistake - help needed

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by guitguy28, Apr 5, 2015.

1. guitguy28

guitguy28 Member

Hi,

I just re-wired my Strat, with a new 5-way switch and pots. I followed the old wiring setup I had in there, which had a mod so the bottom tone control worked on BOTH middle and bridge pickups.

BUT, I added in a new mod, which has the bridge pickup wired to the middle lug on the 5-way, and the middle pickup wired to the bridge lug. All I did was alternate the lugs.

With this mod, position #3 on the switch gets the bridge pickup and position #5 gets middle, the reason I did this is so that position 4 gets bridge/neck a la Tele.

So! I wired it all together, and it mostly works as intended, but first, I can tell it's not properly grounded, (all the connections are ok) and the bottom tone works on the middle, but works as a volume control for the bridge and not a tone control.

My best guess is because I have a tone for the bridge, and now the bridge and middle connections on the 5-way are alternated, I need to re-wire something else, any suggestions?

2. arwhite

arwhite Member

Check out the wiring diagram for the Classic Player 50s Strat. It does the neck/bridge thing and works like a charm.

CP 50s Strat Service Diagrams

3. Gevalt

Gevalt Supporting Member

4. Tonebender

Tonebender Supporting Member

Do you have any pics? That would help a great deal...

My advice is re-check your work.

I gotta ask why put your pickups and switching in funky positions to get the N+B tone? Seems counter-intuitive if you ask me.

Consider using a toggle switch or push/push pot for a "neck-on mod" You can get N+B and N+M+B out of it......

5. cratz2

cratz2 Member

My first ever strat mod was to physically switch the neck and middle pickups so I could get the neck+bridge and have them RW/RP and the neck+middle be RW/RP. And I wired the second tone pot to affect the bridge pickup as well.

As to why one might prefer to stick with the switch only is, in live play, it's much faster to just use the switch in my opinion. Now that I don't play live, I prefer a blender pot.

6. guitguy28

guitguy28 Member

Did you mean you switched the pickup lugs, or you just moved the actual pickups to the different pickup slots?

7. cratz2

cratz2 Member

To get RW/RP between the bridge and neck pickups, you need to physically switch the middle and the neck pickups and not change anything on the switch.

8. guitguy28

guitguy28 Member

Can you give me a more detailed explanation?

9. guitguy28

guitguy28 Member

OP here - just wanted to say that, for anyone who may read this thread in the future, I have since solved the problem:

I took apart the guitar again. All the connections looked okay. But the mistake I had made (doh!) was that one of the wires on the resistor on the tone control was touching the ground on that control.

With that resistor touching ground, the two tone controls were acting as volume controls.

I bent it out of the way, put it back together, restrung it, and... problem solved! Everything sounds the way it ought to.

Just a reminder to make sure nothing in your wiring is touching something it shouldnt:eek: