Strat Wiring Question - No ground for tone pots?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by LJD, May 10, 2014.

1. LJD

LJD Member

This is the wiring for my AVRI 62 Hot Rod (below). Can someone explain why the tone pots aren't grounded to the back of the volume pot like in other strat wiring.

[​IMG]

Here's a Road Worn (with grounds to the vol pot)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  2. bluesky636

bluesky636 Member

Have you actually removed the pick guard assembly and examined the electronics? The wires may be there and just not shown in the drawing.

See the outline on the back of the pick guard that looks like a smaller pick guard? I'm willing to bet that is an aluminum shield. The pots are grounded through the pot mounting threads to the shield. Feel free to add ground wires if it makes you feel better.

3. handtrix

handtrix Member

IIRC In your 62 Hot Rod diagram, the outer line is the actual pickguard and the inner is shielding tape. This is making contact with the Tone pots and acting as a ground and grounding the Tone pots, as opposed to the Road Worn vintage style wiring...

Like This :

[​IMG]

4. LJD

LJD Member

Yep that's exactly what mine looks like inside, shielding layer and no ground daisy chain. So (lets say) if I put in a prewired harness WITH ground wires on the casings, it would just be redundant? Wouldn't harm anything, right?

5. bluesky636

bluesky636 Member

Didn't I tell you all that in my post?

And the shield is not tape. It is thin sheet metal.

6. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

yep and yep.

i like the ground wires though; if a tone pot comes loose, it won't stop functioning like it would if it was just grounded through the mechanical connection to that shield plate.

i run actual soldered ground wires on jazz bass pots for the same reason.