1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Strat ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by troyr_2000, May 17, 2011.

1. troyr_2000

troyr_2000 Member

If I put say a hot rails or other sc sized humbucker in my strat do I lose all of the sound position 2 has? Not like the sc in the bridge but damn I love position 2.

2. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Yes, it will change. You could wire the hot rails to auto split in that position, it will help. But that pickup is still pretty hot/middy. It's always a compromise.

3. whaiyun

whaiyun Member

I like the 2nd position (as well as the first) of my strat loaded with a Fralin Steel Pole 43.
    It's not as quacky because of the mid-forward bridge pickup but its got some sweet rhythm tones to it, almost like a jazzmaster pickup ...

4. zul

zul Supporting Member

It will always be a compromise I think. I'm usually on pos 5 single, 4 for quack, and 1 for bridge humbucker, with pos 1 being the most prevalent. I have literally tried close to 50 different pickups for that strat bridge pos in the last 30 years. Tried a bunch of different wiring schemes too to get pos 2 to sound right. For the most part pos 2 needs to see only the single coil from the bucker to achieve trad quack. The problem I encounter is that most humbuckers that have a decent single coil output usually are pretty hot in series mode and that is a pos I am not willing to compromise on.

Presently the set I have is medium output with '54 pro neck, AVn 62 mid and a Norton bridge. The Norton is the sound that I have been after for all these years so it has to work with whatever middle pickup I decide on. I am set with pos 5, 4, and 1 and now, even pos 3 too since the kinman sounds great when I took it off the tone pots. The two tone knobs are wired to the bridge and neck with the middle naked so that pos 2 and 4 are not loaded with both tone pots. I have a triple switch for the bridge bucker so pos 2 may see series ,single or parallel modes. On Pos 2, single has the best quack, parallel is less quack with fuller bass, but series is a little peaky.

Make sure you get the polarity right. I tend to not prefer RPRW middle so my kinman mid isn't. There are a bunch of wiring schemes to look at and I learned a lot by listening to how others like walterw, husky (Suhr) and Anderson approach this conundrum. I have a decent enough pos 2 now but it nowhere near the cluck I get on pos 4, but since this is my preference anyway, and I can live with this compromise. I might also be able to use pos 2 more if I change my approach by not treating it as an alternate cluck tone. But I am constantly fudging this pos to focus further, but more than content with the set and pos 2 for now is merely a leisurely labor of love.

Hoping that this thread might uncover something overlooked.​

Last edited: May 17, 2011