• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Strategy changes at Gibson/Epiphone

FranP.FranP

Hi there,

Gibson brand is now, after their last afordable Les Paul family, completelly overlaped with Epiphone solid body Les Pauls .... An unfrequent "canibalization" by the premium brand over the afordable/value brand (and not the other way around like most "brand canibalizations")...both competing gor the same customer.

It seems to me Gibson brand portfolio strategy will be like Fender, from Custom Shop to low end Vibe series, all branded Fender.... While Squier in not any more the cheap second brand.

Web searching what those two brands announced at NAMM, can't find the answer.

What will be Epiphone brand ? a value semihollow brand and a super cheap firewood solid guitar product company ??

Thoughts from insiders ???

Average Joe

I hope both companies take the time to clean up their naming conventions while they're at it. As it is, there seem to be very little structure or predictability to it - and once you ad retailers who get it wrong on their websites it's often hard to tell exactly which model you're looking at.

TheBuffalo

Gold Supporting Member
I hope they start making gibson in japan. I'll be the first one to buy one of those.

1.theyll be cheaper
2.theyll be just as good on quality If not better
3. Some of the first ones to come out May be worth some money later

Where did you get this information from? What source?

Edit: I might not be understanding what your saying correctly

Last edited:

cutaway

I hope they start making gibson in japan. I'll be the first one to buy one of those.

1.theyll be cheaper
2.theyll be just as good on quality If not better
3. Some of the first ones to come out May be worth some money later
They did that with the Elitist brand a few years ago and discontinued them for some reason.

TheBuffalo

Gold Supporting Member
They did that with the Elitist brand a few years ago and discontinued them for some reason.
Yes I know, and those are expensive these days too

But if they put the gibson name on it, that would be a big deal

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
I think of the current Epiphone brand as serving the same function as Fender MIM and Squire (made in china). I believe that the strategy has them thinking the surge in low end manufacturing quality will not erode the Gibson brand as much if it is named Epiphone. But that's just a guess.

cutaway

Yes I know, and those are expensive these days too

But if they put the gibson name on it, that would be a big deal
I don't think they should put a Gibson name on a non-us guitar strictly from branding POV. Gibson is reserved for their USA guitars. And because they've protected this, they can charge a premium. Wouldn't make any sense.

FranP.FranP

Gibson Melody Maker series (and parts os Studio series ) are not made in the US... Btw, who cares,

My point is about quality and price point, the low end LP Gibsons just announced are overlaped with Epiphones. ... To let you understand, if you have $ 500 to spend on a LP, what would you buy ??? Not a Epi, I guess although price is the roughly the same

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
Gibson Melody Maker series (and parts os Studio series ) are not made in the US... Btw, who cares,

My point is about quality and price point, the low end LP Gibsons just announced are overlaped with Epiphones. ... To let you understand, if you have $ 500 to spend on a LP, what would you buy ??? Not a Epi, I guess although price is the roughly the same

Your question was about the strategy and the brands... quality, where they are made, price, and the customers perception of the product based upon those issues are inherently linked.

colinesquire

Melody makers are indeed US made. Parts like bridges & tailpieces & tuners are not made by gibson and come from a variety of overseas suppliers. It's always been that way.

ixnay

They are actually made in the US. You obviously care or you wouldn't have made the comment in the first place.

If you have proof to the contrary, I'd love to see it...

HP Hovercraft

What about the classic Epiphone guitars? It's not all overlap with Gibson.

And yes all Gibsons are made in the US, even the Melody Makers.

TheBuffalo

Gold Supporting Member
I don't think they should put a Gibson name on a non-us guitar strictly from branding POV. Gibson is reserved for their USA guitars. And because they've protected this, they can charge a premium. Wouldn't make any sense.
I didn't say they should, I just said I would buy it :)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom