Stratocaster + Clark Amps ......Best Strat tones ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rock Fella, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

A dude I know who knows a guy who owns a Relic`ed Fender Strat and Clark Tyger 2 x 12 told me it is the best Strat tone id ever hear , I know nuthin about Clark amps, anyone got any experience of the Strat / Clark pairing ?

jimmy

2. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I'm still experimenting with my Clark Tyger 3x10. This amp loves single coil p/us. I play a G&L ASAT Classic tele and a '61 strat. Always jumper channels, and for single coils plug into the normal channel, with higher volume in that channel.

This is an warm, transparent sounding amp with a unique, singing voice. The G&L needs nothing. The strat benefits from a little clean boost, in my case a Klon (no gain) and Gainster (gain OK). The strat exploits that wonderful tweed clean at lower and medium volumes. Such a sweet, rich sound. Somehow clear and textured at the same time. As volume goes up the amp -- already lively and punchy-sounding -- gets REAL excited. Lots of sustain, singing overdrive. Favorite tone so far: on the middle p/u. playing slide in open E. I've mostly not played slide on a strat for 30 years, can't get it to sound right. This sounds right.

Put the Tyger right up there with my other favorite strat sounds -- a BFSR, and a Gibson GA40.

3. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

know where i can hear clark amps dude ?

4. Ogre

Ogre Member

I have a Clark Beaufort, which is the tweed Deluxe(5E3 circuit) clone. It sounds wonderful with my Teles, so I will plug my Strat into it, and report back. As far as playing one, you will have to find someone that has one, as they rarely show up in shops. I have a real tweed Bandmaster, and Strats sound good with it, I prefer the narrow-panel tweed Pro w/ its 15" speaker for Strats.

5. mad dog

Rock: That's the problem. You can't hear one, unless you hook up with a player/owner. I risked buying one used without having heard any Clark. Turns out that was the right risk to take.

Where are you at?

6. monstermike

monstermike Member

They're tweed Fenders, and REALLY good ones. From everything I've read from you, I don't know if the Fender amp vibe is really your thing - the cranked overdrives are rattier, looser and more dynamic (less sustain, etc.) than a "high gain" amp. It seems like what you want is tight bass, effortless sustain, and smooth highs - that's not really a tweed Fender.

7. spikeRI

spikeRI Member

yea Jimmy, don't think you're the tweed type

8. James Knox

James Knox Member

VERY HAPPY Strat through Clark Amp Guy here!

My main guitars are an Eric Johnson Strat, and an American Deluxe Strat with Kinman AVN Blues PU's and a Nocaster through a Clark Tyger, Clark Beaufort (w/ Celestion Blue) or a Clark Lil Bit, depending on the SPL of the project - all three Clark amps have a unique Sonic Signature that identify them as all being in the "same family".

My first Clark was the Lil Bit (Tweed Champ) bought sight unseen. When I saw the build quality and heard the tone, I knew I was on to something very special. Since then I have bought three Beauforts and a Tyger (all used, all sight unseen) and NEVER dissapointed - I sold one of the Beauforts to my best friend and I still have the others. I HAVE sold off all of my other amps - a 1965 Fender Deluxe Reverb, a 1967 Blackface Champ, a 59 Tweed Tremolux, a Dr Z Maz 18 Jr, a Carr Rambler. The only Vintage Femder amp I still own is a 1967 "transition" Super Reverb - and only because it is too heavy to sell/ship - it NEVER gets played.

The Amp leg of my Tone Quest Journey is complete - with Clark Amps!

Peace,

James

9. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

10. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Jimmy,

Go listen to the following:

The first 2 Fabulous Thunderbirds albums: that's Jimmie Vaughan with a strat into a Tweed Deluxe and a Tweed Bassman

Mike Morgan and the Crawl: Live in Dallas - Old strat, and old Epiphone Riviera through a 1959 Bassman

Buddy Guy - anything off the Chess label - Buddy with his 1957 strat through a 1959 Bassman

Otis Rush - Cobra Recordings - Otis with a 1957 strat and a Epiphone Riviera through a 1959 Bassman

THESE are the benchmarks of Tweed + strat tone for me. My favorite is Jimmie Vaughan, because its real clean and crisp with just enough hair around the notes, to me that exemplifies the Tweed + strat pairing.

Of course SRV used a 1959 Bassman late in his career too, and Billy Gibbons has used some tweed from time to time.

As far as YOU liking Tweed, I just don't see it either. If I recall correctly you mentioned that you were not impressed with the Marshall JTM45 which is basically an "angry Tweed Bassman". Tweeds are all about, sloppy low end, nice reedy overdrives, and beautiful full round cleans, at least that's what I hear.

Jason

11. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

[​IMG]

Do 59 Bassmans suffer from a farty low end ?

12. Ogre

Ogre Member

Tweed Bassmans hold together(more headroom) longer than the other 2 amps mentioned. The tweed Deluxe is the fartiest.

13. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

In my experience with the 4 old Tweed Bassmans I've played through, they sounded "relatively" solid until about 4 or 5, then got pretty "spongey" sounding.

The Deluxe is definitely "flatulent", but that's part of the charm of Tweeds.

14. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I have had my Clark Beaufort for about a week and I can vouch for the great tones paired with a strat. I have an EJ strat and a G&L Legacy w/Frailin Blues Specials in it. I used to use a few OD pedals to get the tone I wanted out of these strats, but now I prefer just the amp or just the amp and the Clark Gainster. I am sold on the tweed tone.
    I highly recommend the Clark Gainster pedal. I got the pedal before I rec'd my amp and I wasn't that impressed with it honestly. But then my Beaufort arrived and it is the perfect match. It takes the tweed tone and just takes it a little further. It literally gives you more of what you are getting. A little fuller, a little more gain and sustain, but no color. It is the ultimate OD pedal for tweed amps, which makes sense since it is designed by Michael Clark.

15. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

Keeping control over the low end is just part of learning how to finesse a tweed amp with your playing. Working tones by touch is definetly a major aspect of the tweed charm.

16. e h e

e h e Member

Re: Otis Rush

I don't think the Epiphone came into play until later. His Cobra label material was, as I recall, recorded with some sort of Fender guitar, and a healthy dose of guitar from Ike Turner.

17. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

Plus, you can always put a P10Q or N in place of the P10R's and get a much tighter and responsive low end at volume. It works great - I took out two of the R's in my Vicky Bandmaster and replaced them with Q's. You still get all the beauty of tweed with a much stronger bass.

18. mad dog

Forgot to mention speakers. My Tyger has 3 Weber P10Qs in it. Big tight bass, lots more headroom than I expected. Less than the narrow panel bassman, far more than deluxes I've played. The original owner had Jensen RIs in it, I think P10Rs, but was not impressed. I certainly am with these webers. I generally prefer ceramics; surely they'd sound good too, but those alnico webers are too good to mess with.

I was playing it tonight, realizing how hopeless it is to try describing how an amp sounds. Also, mine has the built-in 3-knob reverb. It's so good, I've never turned it off. Is it the amp, the reverb, or both? Beats me.

19. lousyatit

lousyatit Supporting Member

The Clark stuff is very well built, he has got to be one of the tightest wound people that I have met in my entire life.

20. Topcat

Topcat Member

I heard the Clark Tyger at the Michigan ampfest a couple of years ago and it was definitely a standout amongst many amps brought there that day.

BobbyRay owned it at the time and he was auditioning it and just tore it up--killer sound and killer playin'. Really knocked me out. The Clark Tyger is a great sounding amp in the tweed vein. BTW, Bobby played a Strat through it.

Very impressed. Terry