stratocaster E-string problems

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by timeforheroes, Jun 7, 2008.

1. timeforheroes

timeforheroes Member

I ve played some strats that really have a spankiness to thier attack. I love that. especially on the low E string.

How do i get that? every strat that i have owned has been good. I liked them all. There must be something i am doing wrong cause all of my strats have a real mushy attack on the E-string. How do i get more snap and spank to my E-string?

does it have to do with spring placement/ numbers? block my trem? what do i need to do?

any helpful advice would be appreciated.

2. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Lowering your pickups on the bass side will go a long way in helping you get this sound.
    That is the first thing I look for in buying any Fender- Strat or Tele.

If it doesn't have that or I can't see the potential for it with adjustment I look for another.

After the pickups I would look at the neck relief too.

3. RMstrat

RMstrat Member

loosen your truss rod as much as you can stand. the looser mine is the more spank I get

4. timeforheroes

timeforheroes Member

out of all my guitars, my AVRI jazzmaster has glorious response. i love the attack of that guitar....I just want something that i get similar results with. SOmehthing that i can drag around town ya know.

thanks for the tips so far.

5. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

That snap is the result of the string ringing out cleanly. Three things that can impede that are:

1) Action too low or the string saddle cocked to one side - it should be parallel to the bridge top w/ equal pressure on both 'feet'.

2) Pickup too high on the bass side, or even on the treble side too. Don't hesitate to look to lowering the treble side of the pickup as a solution too.

3) Backbowed neck or too little relief causing the string to choke out.
    3.1) Nut cut too low if it's a prob on the open low "E" only.

ALWAYS set the relief first, then nut slot, then the action, then pickup height. Cheap pots, switches and output jacks can also impede snap. Frankly, without seeing your Strat or playing it, I bet it's the saddle on the low "E".

Level the saddle, make sure the action's not too low, make sure there's a little relief (fret the "E" string on the first fret w/ your left hand index finger and on the last fret w/ your right pinkie. Now tap the string down against the frets on around the 9th or 10th fret using your right index finger; there should be a tiny amount of clearance, like no more than the diameter of the high "E" string - .010". Lower the bass side of the neck pickup until it's 3/8" from the bottom of the string to the top of the pole piece with the string unfretted - good place to start.

Hope this helps, Dana O.

6. Structo

Structo Member

String gauge plays a role too.

7. timeforheroes

timeforheroes Member

what gauge gets me where i want to go?

8. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I think you gotta look first at setup, then at string gauge. Most guys use 9's, 10's, or 11's on their Strats, some go for bigger strings and tune down 1/2 step.

If your guitar's set up right it will do the snap thing with any gauge, though your particular guitar and your playing style might slightly favor one gauge over another.

Have you ever had your guitar setup by a pro? It's really well worth the money. Most folks don't know how well their guitars can actually play, until they have them setup by a pro. What's your location? Maybe somebody here can recommend a pro in your area ....It'll be the best $60 you've ever spent I'll wager.

Good Luck, Dana O.

9. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Quartersawn maple neck. It will spank you till you can't stand it. Try an EJ strat. Real, percussive and spanky, great for slap funk styles and chickn' pickn.

Some strats spank, but every single quartersawn neck I've gotten has had a ton of it.

10. timeforheroes

timeforheroes Member

alot of my playing is slappy. i usually mute the strings that arent being playing...but i end up hitting them all anyways...kinda like SRV did.

ill look into 1/4 sawn necks.... why do the 1/4 sawn necks spank more?

11. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

Quarter sawn maple is more rigid and moves/.resonates less than flat sawn.

However, many strats have great snap and percussiveness, and they have stock flat sawn neck.

What kinda pickups do you have right now? Does the guitar snap when played acoustically?

12. bigwebb

bigwebb Member

sorry to bump an old thread but I am going through this with one of my strats right now and was wondering what the outcome was. I recently steped up to ghs 1300 Low tune strings with a 58 gauge in the E position and am wondering if the nut slot is just to small. I was previously using 11's when it was setup and the bone nut was actually cut for it but I think the E was like a 50 or so then.

13. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

IME, it's all about the wood. If the bass on your Strat is dead after changing strings, you need a different guitar. Pulling and snapping the low E is one of the 1st things I do when I'm considering buying a new guitar.

14. adamg

adamg Member

I have had success with lowering the pickups the few times I have encountered this.

Some pickups seem to be a bit fiddly with the adjustment requirements.

also use the bridge pickup for optimum "snap"

15. bigwebb

bigwebb Member

this is when the guitar is unplugged. For me anyway

16. David Garner

David Garner Member

I'm guessing setup issues. Mine was real spanky until I changed string guages, then the whole thing died. New setup and it's back to being wonderful again.

17. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

Putting an extra downward wrap on the low E string can help as well.

18. bigwebb

bigwebb Member

god I hope this is the case.