• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Stratocaster: ESP vs Tokai vs Edwards vs Fender Japan

Turbo911

Could please someone knowledgeable in this field help me with choosing one of these Stratocasters?
* Tokai AST series
* Edwards E-SE series
* ESP Vintage Plus
* Fender Japan STR-ALLVC

All are current production models as I don't want to buy used form overseas (I live in Europe).

First question: how do they compare to each other quality-wise? Which one uses the best woods, the best dried woods? I know a lot of people love vintage Tokais, but these are not vintage, so... I think this is aspect is usually overlooked in discussions.

Second question: which one of them has the slimmest neck? Are they thicker than contemporary Fender American Standard? Tokai doesn't mention neck shape, so that adds to the confusion. I personally want the slimmest neck and I don't want the V shaped neck profile. And by neck thickness I mean the center of the back of the neck, where the thumb rests against it in a classical position - that is, the thickest part of the neck - I want it as slim as possible for a Stratocaster (which of course is never going to be Ibanez Wizard slim).

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr.Strat

Of those, the ESP is going to have the skinniest neck (back thickness I mean, not nut width). If you have ever played an ESP, they all kind of use this thin-U shape neck that has a pretty distinctive feel.

Unfortunately, that ESP is relic-ed :( (unless that is what you want)

Turbo911

Yeah, it seems like ESP is the one for me then. I don't dig relic'ing, but at least they're relic'ed pretty lightly, so that can do for me. I wish they had more choices of finish, though.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom