• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Stratocaster - Mod Shop/Partscaster/Other?

Platypus

not in rivers, but in drops
Silver Supporting Member
If you don't mind going MIM, which I wouldn't for effectively just a body if you're swapping necks anyway, fender has done some surf green player series, just gotta watch out if you're picky on color because some are just surf green, some are a "pearl" version (which I actually really like, but it's a little different), and some are a "satin" version. Neck swap would get you there since those I think are the classic fender med C.

Also I think the road worn vintera has what they call a "thick soft V" neck, which might be to your liking, but it's got some relicing, which is everyone's favorite topic.

Further down the partscaster route, there's a surf green Noventa body for sale on reverb for now for like $400 with a 4lb 15 oz listed weight. Downside is you'd have to route out the middle to convert to a SSS and it's a hardtail.

I would imagine any real shops selling on reverb would have no problem weighing a guitar for you if you ask nicely. I think most people don't list strat weights as much because it's not as much of an issue as it might be for like a les paul.

I found the classic player 50's series and that looks promising, yeah I don't honestly care if it's MIM because I am likely going to gut the entire setup and replace the neck anyway, so it'd literally just be making sure the body isn't dead or a boat anchor.

Good call out on the pearl/satin, I am aware of those colors (I actually like the pearl one, I have a MIM bass body in that color) already but I appreciate the heads up. I'd prefer the standard surf green for this instrument.

I saw the Vintera/road worn ones, nothing against relics (I own one already because it was a better player than the non-relic option in a shootout), but I'd rather this one not be if I can avoid it.

I don't have the proper tooling right now for routing out the Noventa body, but I appreciate the suggestion!

Unfortunately, I am 0/5 on getting a weight statement on Reverb sellers. Usually a rude response as well, which is an interesting tactic for trying to make a sale, but I appreciate they see a fair share of tire-kickers and it's annoying potentially.

Platypus

Silver Supporting Member
Partscasters and Mod Shop guitars have zero resale value, relatively speaking.

If you want a S-style guitar that includes exactly all your musts and has a decent resale value, then order a Fender Custom Shop with these specs.

The drawbacks? It will cost a lot more than a partscaster, and there is a risk that it might not sound as good as you hoped.

Agreed on a Partscaster, I figured the resale hit on the Mod Shop was significant but I would probably get something from it. I parted out a guitar for my last Partscaster build and I more than broke even on the parts than I paid for the original instrument, so I could always go that route I suppose, but it was also about 1K less all-in, so unlikely here.

Stratburst70

I would also suggest the partscaster option. Find a Strat with the body weight and colour you like, then order a good sized neck from Warmoth or Muzikraft. I’ve had good experiences with both these companies.

Atdi2000

Parts caster and just swap parts till it's what you want. And yeah not many want a fully assembled warmoth or allparts, but if you sell them as parts they really get a lot interest on ebay.

art__vandelay

Silver Supporting Member
As everyone is saying: partscaster, partscaster, partscaster. The initial hurdle is the apparent expense, but trust me, you'll save in the end because you'll stop shopping.

It took me a couple years to get where I'm at, but my Strat and my Tele have both knocked CS examples out of the house and are the best of each for me.

Warmoth 59 necks on each, MJT bodies on each. Fralin's in the Strat + Lollars in the Tele.

PXL_20211208_171349084.jpg
PXL_20211222_180100295.jpg

Muttlyboy

Gold Supporting Member
Music Zoo gets spec-built Fender Custom Shop "No-neck" Strats. Stratocasters with a Nocaster Profile.
Every now and then they have a Pre-owned one on their website. It's still expensive, but they allow a trial period.

I have a couple Partscaster builds with Warmoth Fat-profile necks. I haven't tried their "59" profile but that one sounds pretty interesting. If you're willing to apply the finish yourself, the neck will cost closer to $200 (if you you're not getting flamey maple), or you could go the roasted route and no finish would be needed (feels great with no finish).

Platypus

Silver Supporting Member
They don't? At least for bodies they always have when I've checked.

They do in the showcase, which doesn't ever really have the options I want available, they don't feature it on custom orders unfortunately.

Platypus

Silver Supporting Member
As everyone is saying: partscaster, partscaster, partscaster. The initial hurdle is the apparent expense, but trust me, you'll save in the end because you'll stop shopping.

It took me a couple years to get where I'm at, but my Strat and my Tele have both knocked CS examples out of the house and are the best of each for me.

Warmoth 59 necks on each, MJT bodies on each. Fralin's in the Strat + Lollars in the Tele.

View attachment 478244 View attachment 478245

Have you compared the 59 necks versus the Boatneck profile? The Boatneck or Fatback profiles are larger carves and seem more up my alley but yet another variable to sort out I guess.

iced_earth

I think you'd like the Fender CS 57' Soft V neck shape. I had one and the neck depth was 0.88 at the nut and 1.00 at the 12th fret. There really wasn't much "V"... more like a nicely rounded C to me.

Platypus

Silver Supporting Member
I think you'd like the Fender CS 57' Soft V neck shape. I had one and the neck depth was 0.88 at the nut and 1.00 at the 12th fret. There really wasn't much "V"... more like a nicely rounded C to me.

That's surprising that it's 1.00 at the 12th, that might be honestly good enough for me.. only remaining downside there would be the unknown weight factor.

Mark Robinson

Gold Supporting Member
The boatneck is big and has a lot more “V” to the back than the 59. I have one, with a 15” radius thick rosewood board, snagged out of the showcase a bunch of years ago. I finished it myself, which I think really helps the budget. Finishing a rosewood board neck is about 30% of the work of finishing a maple neck.

An old or middle period Jeff Beck, or a Strat plus is pretty close to what you want. The swimming pool route allows the full sized humbuckers, but you’d need short leg base plates on the pickups or they’ll hit wood before being low enough without modifying the depth of the route at the legs area.

The Becks and Strat pluses I’m familiar with are generally medium weight alder bodies, so if you want a sub 7 pound guitar, probably look elsewhere.

Platypus

Silver Supporting Member
The boatneck is big and has a lot more “V” to the back than the 59. I have one, with a 15” radius thick rosewood board, snagged out of the showcase a bunch of years ago. I finished it myself, which I think really helps the budget. Finishing a rosewood board neck is about 30% of the work of finishing a maple neck.

An old or middle period Jeff Beck, or a Strat plus is pretty close to what you want. The swimming pool route allows the full sized humbuckers, but you’d need short leg base plates on the pickups or they’ll hit wood before being low enough without modifying the depth of the route at the legs area.

The Becks and Strat pluses I’m familiar with are generally medium weight alder bodies, so if you want a sub 7 pound guitar, probably look elsewhere.

This is super helpful information, thank you for the feedback on the Boatneck especially.

I won't be doing anything in this instrument but SSS but good to know about the route either way.

I'd love to find a lightweight, resonant body finished in the real Surf Green color code.

7 lbs for the entire completed guitar would be perfect honestly.

Muttlyboy

Gold Supporting Member
This is super helpful information, thank you for the feedback on the Boatneck especially.

I won't be doing anything in this instrument but SSS but good to know about the route either way.

I'd love to find a lightweight, resonant body finished in the real Surf Green color code.

7 lbs for the entire completed guitar would be perfect honestly.
7lb for a Strat can be tough to accomplish.

The Trem assembly and 3 pickups add some weight (versus a Telecaster).

I think you'll need to find a body weighing a bit less than 3.5 pounds.

Platypus

Silver Supporting Member
7lb for a Strat can be tough to accomplish.

The Trem assembly and 3 pickups add some weight (versus a Telecaster).

I think you'll need to find a body weighing a bit less than 3.5 pounds.

Good to know, I will almost certainly never use the tremolo, so maybe I just go with a hardtail here?

My actual limit is less than 8lbs, but 7 feels like an ideal outcome.

Muttlyboy

Gold Supporting Member
Good to know, I will almost certainly never use the tremolo, so maybe I just go with a hardtail here?

I had a chance to try out a Hardtail once. It was pretty cool. It sounded a lot like a Tele.

Platypus

Silver Supporting Member
I had a chance to try out a Hardtail once. It was pretty cool. It sounded a lot like a Tele.

It hadn't occurred to me but seems obvious now, would changing this bridge setup kill the quacky Strat thing I am going for here? I don't want another Tele :)

I imagine it plays a factor, but the pickup combinations are the main source of that tone in my head

TT hankie

Silver Supporting Member

Definitely go with a hardtail if you dont use the trem. Will save you nearly a pound of weight. All of my fender style guitars are partscasters and I love them.

My lightest guitar is my white strat with a trem. 6pounds 4 ounces. body weight was 2.9 lbs and I used and aluminum trem block to save weight

Mjt sells bodys and you can custom order color and specify a weight range. I recently started to use Bloomdoom guitars and they have the same kind of deal.

If you go with warmoth for a neck keep in mind there "modern" construction necks are heavier than their "vintage modern".

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
I've been fooling with, gigging, building, & playing Strats for 50 years and my best one's were the one's I found by running the racks. Sometimes the right parts come together but most times they don't. But if you feel all Strats sound pretty much the same to you it won't matter which approach you take. Good luck!

Last edited:

Platypus

Silver Supporting Member
Definitely go with a hardtail if you dont use the trem. Will save you nearly a pound of weight. All of my fender style guitars are partscasters and I love them.

My lightest guitar is my white strat with a trem. 6pounds 4 ounces. body weight was 2.9 lbs and I used and aluminum trem block to save weight

Mjt sells bodys and you can custom order color and specify a weight range. I recently started to use Bloomdoom guitars and they have the same kind of deal.

If you go with warmoth for a neck keep in mind there "modern" construction necks are heavier than their "vintage modern".

Thanks, that's great info.

I'm aware of the Warmoth thing and my spec'd neck is the vintage/modern, but I appreciate the heads up there.

Does MJT let you have a non-relic option? I was under the impression their whole schtick is relicing, even if light. I would love to be able to get a custom body where I control the weight though.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom