Stratocaster neck on Jazzmaster ... I did it, and it was a huge hassle

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Asimauve, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Axeaholic

Axeaholic Supporting Member

[​IMG]

The axe is a Squier Mascis Jazzmaster, I've used it as my lone Fender live for the last little while, it took a tumble on stage and off snapped the neck, so the solution was to try to find another similar neck, which proved close to impossible, the neck on the Squier JM is based off the Rory Gallagher it's a great feeling piece ...

Tried a few Fender necks that were either too big or too flat.

So Craigslist and Co, it took a few weeks and suddenly a B. Hefner neck showed up with similar specs. Original owner had meant it for a 60s Strat project.

Anyone else have experience with these swaps ?I have to admit it looks weird and took forever to get the action right.

2. SciFlyer

SciFlyer Supporting Member

That looks great.

3. Deed_Poll

Deed_Poll Member

Why was it a hassle? Should be a straight swap.

4. Axeaholic

Mascis neck was a bit thinner around the neck pocket, strat neck's radius was vintage which meant I had to adjust for a rounder profile, at this point the investment into a Mastery bridge might be inevitable, I have a 'roller' Tune O matic right now.

Also ... How the hell do people tolerate vintage tuners with a Jazzmaster trem ???

5. Deed_Poll

Deed_Poll Member

I would save your money and get a Mustang bridge if it's 7-1/4". I've never had a problem with the tuners, you might want to check that the bridge is able to float freely when you use the arm. This is the most likely culprit if the guitar won't return to pitch.

6. ripple

ripple To keep fresh, keep capped & cold. Silver Supporting Member

I love the mint pickguard!

I always thought Tort on White looked better, but after seeing your Mint/White Jazzmaster, I've revised my opinion.

What a beauty! And nice salvage job!

7. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

I have vintage style locking tuners on my JM but before I switched I had zero issues with the stock tuners and I use the trem pretty frequently.

8. thewestwon

thewestwon Member

A well cut nut and a proper setup.

9. Axeaholic

Update ... well ... for 40$ I found another Mascis neck this morning on CL .... took the Sperzels off the old JM neck and removed the Strat neck ( will keep it around for a future project).

The new Squier neck fit like a glove, gone are all the 'hassles' of the Strat neck, flatter radius of the Squier makes bending more fun again.

10. Axeaholic

[​IMG]

Squier neck is the lighter one ... Wonder why the tints to both rosewoods is so different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

Different species of Rosewood will have different colors. Even within the same tree, to a certain extent. B hefner uses Indian rosewood, who knows what Squier uses, as it's just whatever rosewood they can get at certain price points.

12. davebc

davebc Member

That looks very cool.
    At first I was thinking what's the point?
    From a practical standpoint I hop the Strat neck feels for comfortable! :aok