stratocaster players along the lines of jim campilongo

TwoHandsTenThumbs

Silver Supporting Member
I'm guessing the OP is asking if anyone out there is making instrumental music like Campilongo, using a Strat instead of a Tele.

It's weird, as there is a tradition of instrumental Tele bangers that Campilongo is definately part of...but I can't think of a contemporary Strat example this morning. I mean, back in the heyday of instrumental guitar, there were lots of guys playing Strats.

I dig Buddy Merrill quite a bit.

candid_x

Is there any stratocaster player out there along the lines of jim, writing instrumentals?
Jim is so wildly individual, it's hard to compare him with any other guitar player. But unless you're speaking only of contemporary players, Hendrix was by-enlarge an instrumentalist. Not that he didn't also write lyrics or interpret lyrics from great song writers, but what made him also wildly individual was his mind, hands and a Strat. Jim C. mixes old classics with his fiercely individual interpretations and quirky techniques. But then, playing with ones teeth is pretty quirky too.

GarMan

Silver Supporting Member
Hmmm. Love Jim. I can't think of a strat slinger in the vein of Jim though. Maybe James Wilsey?

Andy Timmons plays a souped up S Style guitar. Completely different from Jim Campilongo. However, Andy's Chord/Melody playing is outstanding, unique, and inspiring nonetheless.

kidmo

I'm guessing the OP is asking if anyone out there is making instrumental music like Campilongo, using a Strat instead of a Tele.

It's weird, as there is a tradition of instrumental Tele bangers that Campilongo is definately part of...but I can't think of a contemporary Strat example this morning. I mean, back in the heyday of instrumental guitar, there were lots of guys playing Strats.

I dig Buddy Merrill quite a bit.
Of course he did, my bad :jo
I guess Eric Johnson, Jeff Beck, Ry Cooder, Adrian Belew,

candid_x

I also think part of the beauty of Jim is the Tele itself. Such a purely basic instrument, no body contours, Bigsby, G or D benders. That and a simple Fender amp and a cable, no pedals. (last I saw, he's using some larger models than a Princeton) And a classy suit and tie. It all sets him apart from the pack. He won't fit in a box.

riscado

It's quite a shame that I've never heard Jim playing his 1962 stratocaster signed by Roy Buchanan.

He must sound great with it. The original topic is a tall order indeed, however you've given me some names to keep me busy, some of them which I knew but it's still alright to revisit their music.

Last edited:

Jacob Van Noy

For the OP I would look into Steve Kimock and specifically the KVHW and Steve Kimock Band stuff from '99-'05. He doesn't always play a Strat but his early '60s Strat with lipsticks is his primary instrument. Campilongo has those quirky instrumentals while Kimock is maybe a little more in the small group improv thing (to me the SKB always had a Miles Davis live feel) but there are definitely great heads on his tunes with beautiful melodies.

For Strat specific tunes check out.......

Tongue n Groove
Cole's Law

Great stuff! Here is a link to a bunch of live shows.

https://archive.org/details/SteveKimockBand

Trending Topics