1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Stratocaster single coil mayhem- shields ??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by electricfactory, May 23, 2011.

1. electricfactory

electricfactory Supporting Member

Would appreciate hearing about your experiences with using Strat pickguard shields[ aluminum, copper shield plates installed under the pickguard] to tame single coil pickup noise- has this REALLY worked for you ? And which worked best, aluminum or copper ?

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  2. stormin1155

stormin1155 Member

I just installed a gold anodized aluminum pickguard on my MIM strat, and it greatly reduced hum.

3. terrapin

terrapin Member

I had one installed by Klein pickups when they built my S-5 loaded guard and the system runs very quiet.

4. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

Can't speak to a strat...but I recently just did this on a jazzmaster and it cut out the noise entirely. The guitar was so noisy before I did the shielding it was unusable. I am very happy with the guitar now!

5. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

Also, I might add, that you need to shield the entire cavity...just rigging up the pickguard won't do much for you. The idea is to basically construct a metal cage around all the wiring.

6. electricfactory

electricfactory Supporting Member

Please elaborate, what did you use to do the job ?

7. slowerhand

slowerhand Member

How does this affect tone? John Suhr said somewhere around here that aluminum pickguards are a tone killer. What about other metals?

8. bgood

bgood Member

I gave up and went with Dimarzio Areas. I have seen shielded paint with copper tape on the underside of the guard with it connected to the cavity