Strats: Daphne Blue or Sonic Blue?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Blackstone, Aug 17, 2019.

Daphne Blue or Sonic Blue for a Strat?

1. Daphne Blue

50 vote(s)
    20.1%
  2. Sonic Blue

55 vote(s)
    22.1%
  3. I like them both.

52 vote(s)
    20.9%
  4. Sonic Blue with Maple Board

20 vote(s)
    8.0%
  5. Sonic Blue with Rosewood Board

83 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. Daphne Blue with Maple Board

38 vote(s)
    15.3%
  7. Daphne Blue with Rosewood Board

49 vote(s)
    19.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

When I asked Juha Ruokangas to build me a vintage-style S-recipe guitar, my wife and I spent several evenings poring over guitar books to find just the right shade of pale blue. I was looking for what I call "Volante Blue" which is the color my dad painted his International 210 sailboat (named "Volante") that he raced when I was young. It's somewhere between Sonic Blue and Daphne Blue. We found exactly the color we wanted in a photo in Tom Wheeler's big Stratocaster book. Happily, Juha also owned a copy of that book so we didn't have to deal with the variable of computer monitors. (that's a huge one!) Here's the resulting guitar. With the nitrocellulose finish the color has deepened and ambered a just bit since this photo was taken.

[​IMG]

Hawk3y3 and RYAN1987M like this.
  2. morglan

morglan Supporting Member

I'm mostly here for the pics, but Daphne with a very dark rosewood board is a beautiful thing.

It's so hard to get good pics of these two colors, especially comparison shots. So often in the pics Daphne blue isn't nearly as striking as it is in person.

HoweFan likes this.
  3. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Member

Oh, okay. Daphne Blue Grosh Electrajet Standard.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

Mine is Daphne. I’d probably have preferred Sonic Blue, but I’m never changing it now.

It’s a cheap MIM Classic 50’s body with a Classic Player 60s neck, but I wouldn’t swap it for any strat in the world now.

It’s poly, but starting to look a little worn with some knocks around the edges:

Germi and morglan like this.
  5. Corvid

Corvid Member

Sonic blue sounds cooler but I like the brighter, more poppy daphne blue. To me, the color of daphne blue is what I imgaine sonic blue to be and vice versa based on their names alone. Of course, just what is "sonic blue" and "daphne blue" varies from year to year, batch to batch, and now, manufacturing location to manufacturing location. Plus years of fading, sun exposure, tobacco smoke, etc. for older guitars.

6. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I like the Daphne Blue that looks like its pushing toward sea foam green. One of those in between colors that’s really sweet!

msquared and HoweFan like this.
  7. bossaddict

bossaddict Supporting Member

I prefer the look of Sonic Blue w/ rosewood

That said, my Strat is Daphne. :p

[​IMG]

8. morglan

I'm not a strat guy, but that is beautiful.

Not a strat, but here's my Daphne blue (with ebony board) build (liked it so much, I repainted our outdoor wicker furniture the same color!):

[​IMG]

Hawk3y3, Telechamp, ESW. and 2 others like this.
  9. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

Beautiful looking guitar. What is it? Did you say that you built it yourself?

10. SAVEStheDAY

SAVEStheDAY Member

Sonic blue tends to look a little green over time. A lot of people are completely convinced the Jag-Stang was originally available in surf green because of this. If you really want a blue that will stay blue you've gotta go with Daphne.

11. DeadLazy

DeadLazy Member

Got the Daphne just the other day.

The strat is my main and I feel like the Daphne is my last guitar for a long time.

Hawk3y3, SAB54 and morglan like this.
  12. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Member

I like both with either kind of fret board but when I had to choose a finish for my one and only custom build (T-style w maple board), I chose Sonic Blue so I guess that has to be my vote.

Daphne with rosewood and a matching headstock is ultra cool also but I'd probably go with greened out Lake Placid as my ultimate blue\rosewood strat

13. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Sometimes in different lighting these 2 colours can come really close IMO. I have a daphne blue American Pro FSR model and it has a really light coloured maple neck that I find well blends well with the Daphne:

[​IMG]

14. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

Lately I’ve really been liking Daphne with Pau Ferro

msquared likes this.
  15. SAB54

SAB54 Member

I’ve always wanted a Sonic Blue Strat. Especially after seeing a Beatles documentary where George Harrison and John Lennon each had one. I finally decided to assemble a Warmoth partscaster. I should have it finished this week.

DeadLazy likes this.
  16. wire-n-wood

wire-n-wood Member

Anyone saying sonic blue gets reported.

17. sidekick

sidekick Supporting Member

Agree. ... I once owned a Sonic Blue Nash 'S' model when Bill was taking customer request orders back then circa 2006. About two years later the top of the guitar which had more light on it whenever resting on the stand had taken on a distinct greenish hue.

18. morglan

Precision guitar kits, DC Jr with custom options (bound neck, ebony board, hb rout instead of P90, super jumbo frets).

Kit comes as 2 pieces of bare wood (body and neck), sanded (I think) to about 400 grit. Needed to fill the grains (which I didn't do well enough--this was my first time doing anything like that) then sand and paint. First coat was shell pink, with Daphne blue over that with no clear coat. As it wears, the pink should begin to show through.

johnh likes this.
  19. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

I like both, but Daphne with rosewood is my favorite.

20. burton56

burton56 Member

I’ve found that looking at picture differences of Sonic and Daphne blue are kind of like Seafoam Green and Surf Green differences. They seem to differ from manufacturer, age, and general lighting, and sometimes crossover to each other’s side. So I guess they both look great.