Strats - lightweight or not?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Paul Conway, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

This question has come up with me recently. I'm not sure the lack of body in the acoustic tone of a light strat can be dealt with by changing pickups, and that I may have to give up and find a heavier guitar. However, I am prepared to accept I could be wrong here. I'd welcome your thoughts.

2. gitarboy

gitarboy Silver Supporting Member

Hi Paul,
    I've had several heavy and light strats... my experience has been that you can find a real gem when you're not expecting it... in otherwords I wouldn't base my tonequest on weight at all. If the guitar rings acoustically and sounds deep and clear amplified that's all you can ask for... if it happens to be light as well then that's a plus... if it doesn't have "it" then a pickup change will not fix it... at least that's what I've found, been playing for 44 years ...

Steve :BEER

3. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

As a data point I have a ~6.5lb Suhr ash/maple Classic that rings very loud and cuts well amplified.

4. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

The one I put together consisted of a solid rosewood neck and a very light alder body. Sustain is good and it projects well without the amp. Overall tone is really good and I prefer it to most of the Strats I hear in the stores. My tech thinks that the neck plays more of the role in this than the body. The overall weight of the guitar is lighter than most.

5. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Thanks, guys. This guitar has an even response across the strings, but is oriented towards the treble and upper mids. Very 'snappy.' I have sort of the opposite problem to most strats I've tried. Usually, big, wide single-note tones come out relatively easily, and it's the snappy, low-string funk sound that's hard to get. This guitar is the other way round. I have to really hold back on the pick attack to get a round, full note. Notes have a real 'pop' to them otherwise.

6. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Try using some pure nickle strings on it.
    I do this on one of my Strats, using Gibson Vintage Reissue's, and it made a nice change.

7. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

Watch the steel blocks as well. They can increase the higher end of tones, I personally am not a fan. Heavy, light makes no difference, it is the wood. Neck makes more of a difference than body, etc, etc.