Strat's vs. Tele's....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tlester, Mar 13, 2006.

1. tlester

tlester Member

Hi Guys -

I'll going to eventually have both (sooner than later). I dig them both a lot. I'd like to hear some thoughts from you guys and gals as to why you like one over the other OR what you like about Strats and what you like about tele's.

It doesn't have to be a competition between the two... just your thoughts on each.

-Tom

2. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Really love the bridge pickup on my Don Grosh Tele. Don't really love the bridge pickup on my Strat. I feel like it's too bright on the strat.

I really love the 2 and 4 positions on my strat. You can tell that "Strat Quack" immediately when you hear it on a recording and the same thing when you're playing live. You can't get that sound out of a Tele.

3. Mayflower

Mayflower Silver Supporting Member

Thank God!
    Are you a "Manly Man" ( a quote from an old sci-fi movie )?.
    Tele's are not for the player who are "faint of heart".
    Most of the hottest pickers I know use Tele's, locally and nationally.
    Our on going joke is that Strats are "girly guitars". Not true, but have all the attributes of being one. Sexy, curvy, 3 pickups, Cut-aways, belly reliefs, fancy finishes.
    Don't get me wrong, I have owned my share of Strats.
    They are like comparing an old Chevy truck to a fast-back Mustang.
    BTW, I drink PBR and don't mind fighting every now and then.:)
    Tele's are redneck all the way IMO and should stay that way.
    Sorry for the strong response, but I get into it ( all in fun)it with my Nashville buds who play Strats and give hell to my local buddies who play Strats. It's all in fun and meant no harm to them or you. They call my B-bender the "Girly Bender" LOL!!! I get a kick out of it.
    It's just my opinion and I like to poke a little fun to get poked at myself every now and then!!!!
    Now, how about you?:)
    In reality, they are both good. Play whatever inspires you to play the most!

4. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Teles have an attack that I like. Others don't.

5. Greggy

Greggy Member

I own a Muddy Waters Tele and an American Standard Strat. Nuthin cuts thru a mix like a tele, very percussive attack envelope. Whereas a strat tends to be chimier and less dynamic to my ears. I couldn't live without either, though. I also love the strat in between sounds. Whereas with a tele, no secret the bridge pup is where it's at.

6. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

So get yourself a Tele with a Strat middle and neck. Gives you the Tele bridge we know and love, plus some of those useful Strat things too.

Like, say, this Chapin TBird... :)

[​IMG]

7. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

Stratocaster.........Corvette

Telecaster............Pickup truck

8. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Love them both.. Stratocaster is just so fun to play and I love the sound as well. Somehow strat is probably the most vocal guitar out there. It's a wonderful sonic tool in the recording palette.. Live I don't use it that much, it's pretty hard to make it sound great within our bands context.

And here is where the Telecaster comes in. Nothing cuts thru better in the band mix. Telecaster is like stratocasters retarded, but very strong, second cousin ;). Teles make great recording tools and are fun to play as well.

But don't ever try to think that you can turn your strat to a tele or vice versa. It just wont work, cause the bridge has such an enormous effect on the sound. And I think it's good to understand that these instruments have the magic they are well loved for just because of the things people start to change to make them more "versatile".

9. al carmichael

al carmichael Member

I like both. Glad there are options.

Strat--If I'm called for a gig and I'm not sure what the musical style is, I'll throw the Strat in the car. It blends with just about any music. In the studio, I use a Strat if I want a more airy, sit-in-the-mix rhythm texture. There are more peaks and dips in the Strat frequency response. With overdrive, it stays pretty balanced. A Strat always sounds like a Strat, for better or worse.

Tele--First, I like the primitiveness and simplicity of the Tele. Its the VW bug of the guitar world. I love the two knob operation. It doesn't get any simpler. Compared to a Strat, the Tele has a more full bodied and punchier voice--less frequency dips--more straight across. Then there is the twang factor and nothing does it as well as a Tele. However, if you roll back the tone knob a little, it can take you toward P-90 LP territory.

The Tele makes you work a little harder, but that work can pull some amazing tones from the instrument. I also like the extremes in tone between the bridge and neck pickups--not to mention that sweet sound of both together.

They are both great instrument designs, still essential after over fifty years. Own at least one of each!

10. Seegs

Seegs Member

I tried to go exclusive...first with strats and then with teles and now I have one of each made by the same guy and it feels right...

they both go on all my gigs and there is not too much I can't do with these guitars but I almost always reach for the tele first...when I want to hear or feel something different I pick up the strat...

Chow,
    Seegs

11. einstein

einstein Member

my right hand just feels right muting on a tele bridge and the stock neck pick-up can do everything from clean warm jazztones to sustain violins with compressers and od. u gotta put big frets on them and scotchbrite and watersand the finish thin on the neck.

12. tlester

tlester Member

I'm in the both category. I definitely want to have one of each. I'm a producer, so I record a lot. I also play live twice a week or so. I recently got a tele and it's been a lot of fun to play. It's got a unique, very "chewy" mid-range that I love and the attack cuts like a knife. The bridge pickup has all the grind I could want... the neck is sweet for anything from jazzy tones, to glassy leads. The only real "nits" that I have with the tele since I've had it is that since I switch pickups a lot, the fact that the pickup selector is so close to the volume pot (in the bridge position) that the volume pot gets in the way of my finger when I go to switch pickups. Not a big deal.

Now... for a strat. I've owned a lot of so-so guitars over the last 9-10 years. Ibanez, Schecter, etc. My favorite guitar I ever owned was an American Standard Strat that I got ages ago and had to sell about 9 years ago for financial reasons. I haven't had one since. It was a magical guitar, but I haven't played another one, yet, that had that magic. I like the versitility of a strat.

My problem is MONEY (I"m sure we all struggle with that). I revamping my set up and getting rid of my other guitars. My goal is one tele one strat (and then more as money permits). I"m just not sure which I want first. I have the tele right now on loan, but I haven't decided to keep it or not, yet.

-Tom

13. IndieHead

IndieHead Member

tele experts....

i am in the process of building a partocaster... after reading the threads on teles, I realised my tele had a top load bridge with the modern 6 saddles. What should I do? I can possibly drill 6 holes into the body eh?

please advise. Cheers.

14. jreardon

jreardon Member

I like both guitars. Both are easy to play and reflect the sort of sounds I want to achieve. Strats are, perhaps a bit more flexible, but to be honest, I can get very similar sounds with both

15. KRosser

KRosser Member

If you like it, my advice is to leave it alone and tell the "experts" to go to h*ll

If you don't like it, my advice is to try out a bunch of guitars and replace it with one you like.

16. IndieHead

IndieHead Member

KRosser....

U seem to be telling me to go with my gut feel......
    as this is the first tele i ever owned.....I dun know the difference the
    bridge would make.

Like all things, I guess you gotta go with your own feel. music is
    all abt feel aint it? Cheers mate.

17. KRosser

KRosser Member

I'm just saying you should trust your own hands & ears. There will be plenty of people who will tell you top loaders suck. The relationship between you & your instrument is a very personal thing. That's why I say, ignore them. You want somebody "great" to validate your guitar? Jim Campilongo's main Tele is a top-loader. There you go.

It should be fairly easy to get a chance to play a Tele with a string-through-body bridge if you want to make a comparison.

18. sears

sears Member

Lots of people prefer top-loader teles.

I think the advantages of each are as follows. I refer to strats with springs and I only use the bridge pickup on either.

teles
    leading the band
    complex chords
    consistency

strats
    fitting in to a groove
    unpredictability, surprise and delight
    built-in reverb

19. SFW

SFW Member

Personally, I feel that every guitar player should own 1 Strat, 1 Tele and 1 Les Paul. Those are the three basic tones in music. At the moment, I am stratless, but I will soon remedy that.

Of the two, I prefer the Tele. I like the bridge tones better. Once I found the right pups (Rio Grande Muy Grande bridge and Tall Boy neck) life has been smooth sailing.

20. Mayflower

Mayflower Silver Supporting Member

Good advice!