Strat's with Mahogany bodies, Anyone try it?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bluesrules, Jul 28, 2008.

1. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

I have a chance to buy one without playing it, but I'm thinking it would lose that much beloved "chime" or "Glass" or whatever.

I like a cleanish vintage strat "sizzle" tone. Would the Mahogany ruin that and be better suited for classic rock sustain (dirty) or smooth Jazz (clean)?

I really don't need a dark sounding guitar, please help.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  2. jetagegreg

jetagegreg Member

In general I'm not a fan of strat/tele single coils in mahogany. Try a PRS SE EG at your local GC and see what you think. Mine now has a set of Vintage Vibe Strat P-90s (Alnico V) in it. Much better both clean and dirty IMO.

My 2 cents,
    -GB

3. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

The Fender Mahogany strat that GC stocks is a very FAT sounding guitar. Not "dark" but not your typical ash and maple neck/fb spank or chime. It also has somarian cobalt noiseless pups in it which are not the greatest pups IMHO.

4. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

Yeah I should mention that it has a maple neck, which would help

hey JazzandMetal: I hate those damn Fender SCN pickups too. Match them with the S-1 switching and it sounds like everything BUT a strat! I had a Fender Deluxe once, sold it fast.

5. edward

edward Supporting Member

I made/built one for a friend long ago. It did not sound dark at all ...more "fat" or more "girth", but certainly would not call it dark by a long shot. He loaded with buckers, though, so I can't really tell you how it would sound with sc pups. If you have the chance to pick it up, I'd definitely do it, if only for the novelty of it. Should you end up not bonding with it, selling is just as easy as buying, but you don't want to end up always wondering "what if...."

Edward

6. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

Your right, thanks man. I had to pull the trigger on this one!

G&L Legacy Deluxe: Flame Maple cap on Mahogany, stock G&L single coils with stock Seymour Duncan Humbucker w/ coil tap, and it's a HARDTAIL!!!
    [​IMG]

7. edward

edward Supporting Member

MAN, that is one sweet looking axe! Not to mention G&Ls rock! If the price is right, I'd pick it up w/o hesitation!

Edward

8. jetagegreg

jetagegreg Member

9. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

$787.00 after 10% Ebay sale. With G&L hardcase and lightly used. Yes it's a USA model and I think I stole it!

10. dharmafool

dharmafool Member

You did real good. Enjoy that fiddle!

11. playon

playon Supporting Member

I once owned for a short time a stock mid-60s strat that had a mahogany body & it sounded amazing. But I think it was something of a special case maybe....

BTW your avatar is a photo that I took of my old tele...

12. uOpt

uOpt Member

No good with Fender vintage style single coil pickups.

With humbuckers? Awesome. After Les Pauls a mahogany body Strat alike with a maple neck is becoming my favorite base construction for a guitar. I have a 1980 hardtail Blazer like that. Give it the right pickups and it tiles the bear. Very focused sound but added snap compared to a Gibson from the longer scale. Just don't ruin it with a maple top. And keep in mind there are many kinds of mahogany.

13. frank4001

frank4001 Member

I played an all mohagany G&L legacy with a bridge humbucker. Acoustically iy rmined me of a Jr. for sure...Great tone...

14. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

I thought I got the picture from a dealers website, But if it's yours I'll give you a 5% royalty fee for every $1.00 I make off of it. You know Music buisness nowdays.

15. Babaji

Babaji Member

...I experimented with a mahogany Strat body from USACG. It was lightweight Nicaraguan mahogany(does a tree know what side of a border its on?). It was a bit brighter sounding than an ash body. I needed to build a Strat for playing a half-step down(Half of the gig is that way). Most ash and alder Strats seemed to loose a lot of their top end when tuned down with 11's on them. Enter the mahogany body...Its brightness made up for the loss! It sounds...Great!(JM Rolph "51"Tele bridge pu, "56" Strat N+M pu). USACG 63 carve neck, RW w/6105 frets. Thanks Tommy!
    Bill

16. JYD

JYD Supporting Member

I just picked up the Fender American Deluxe HSS Mahogany strat over the weekend. I like it...It's as heavy or slightly heavier than my ash strat. I'm not a big fan of the neck as I'm used to the Warmoth modern pro.

I'll eventually rip out the pick ups, and the S-1 switching is ok, but I'm not real sold on it.

I really like its weight and it does sound fat.

17. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

I played a mahogany G&L S500 (a gutiar that is very stratty to me) and it totally bore out your supposition below: a lot less chime, pretty darn dark. -E

18. snarkle

snarkle Member

I owned a refinished ’63 with a factory mahogany body that also sounded exceptionally good...during one of my vintage-snob phases, when a refin just would not do, I sold it to a local touring pro who used it as his #1 for years. Mine was very light and resonant...perhaps wood selection is the trick to the mahogany Strat?

19. jetagegreg

jetagegreg Member

Or 1963 strat pickups. My PRS SE EG is light and resonant--sounds amazing unplugged--but still sounded crappy with factory single coils.

-GB

20. mdog114

mdog114 Member

[​IMG]

This one is Padouk and it sounds great.