“Strattiest” Strat?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by supersoldier71, Apr 12, 2019.

1. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

Any Strat sounds Stratty.
    Use a lower output single coil pickup.

Gig Young and qblue like this.
  2. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

Necessarily, a Strat sounds like a Strat.

But having owned three that provided varying degrees of that Strat sound, I’ve determined that I prefer other guitars for my non- Strat sounds, so I want my next Strat to give me something in the neighborhood of classic Strat tones.

3. jazzgitter

jazzgitter Member

I remember back in the 80s I bought a partscaster that was made by a guy in NY. It was made with https://mightymite.com/ parts and Duncan single coils. Wish I new exactly what the pickup model was. I did a disco studio date in NYC and the studio owner offered me $1000 on the spot to sell it to him. It sounded amazing going direct to tape. After that I held on to it for many years until it was stolen. It weighed a ton with a hard rock maple body but sounded as stratty as any strat I've ever played or heard.

Gig Young likes this.
  4. qblue

qblue Member

I gotta agree on the Laces. I have a 1990 Strat Ultra HSS with similar pickups, except it has a Dually red faux humbucker in the bridge. Though the pickups are high output Lace Sensors, it out-Strats my 1970 Stratocaster, especially in the #2 position. Actually, I have to choose which coil in the bridge I should use for maximum quack. The bridge has a 3-way toggle that allows for UpperSC/HB/LowerSC operation, and while it works for both SC's, I find the lower bridge coil the 'strattiest'.

I used to think this, that lower output single coils made for more 'strattiness', but after comparing the 1970 Strat (upgraded to a 5-way switch, same original pickups) it just isn't true. I can attest to this.

cutaway likes this.
  5. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

I've had a number of Strats over the years. Always chasing the tone and feel of my first ('82 MIJ '62 model). The one that probably came closest (except for the tall frets) was my first year, Roadworn 60's Strat with Tex-Mex pickups. The Tex-Mex are probably the quackiest pickups I've ever owned. Lower that middle pickup way down for maximum quack!

I haven't played any recent Strats... So, I don't know what Fenders current pickups sound like. Maybe there's something more Stratty or quacky? Dunno. But, those Tex-Mex were it. If I get another Strat, I will probably go cheap and easy to find, and pick up another set of those.

Daka3 likes this.
  6. LReese

LReese Member

Its amusing seeing 4 pages on discussion on what is Stratty. There's a lot of recipes, even from Fender.

Run the racks, find one you like as is and leave it alone. That is until you play it enough it needs repair/maintenance. Or be like me and have a dozen give or take and enjoy them all. LOL

7. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

I’ve got two shops in my city: the crazy expensive one and Guitar Center. The Guitar Center has nice guitars, but no one to go grab them off the wall.

Small town disadvantages man.

cutaway likes this.
  8. Mikhael

Mikhael Member

I've had 4 Strats, and the Strattiest guitar was a Parker P-38. Go figure.

Gig Young likes this.
  9. ozraves

ozraves Member

The very best Strat I've played is the 1956 Fender Stratocaster, which was loaned to me for a few months.

As far as a reasonably affordable guitar, I think the best production Strat style guitar in the last 25 years in my opinion might be the G&L Fullerton signature model. I've got one with a three bolt fat V neck. And, if you search around, you might find one within your budget or close to it.

10. LReese

LReese Member

If you don't want to take a day trip where you can cruise the racks, adopt one out of the emporium. When I was younger, my town was small too and had to go to a bigger city to do that type of shopping. Also not nearly the choice we have today. Not even close.

We're not even talking consistency within a specific model.

Probably will get more info from a forum member selling in the emporium than at a shop anyway. Still nothing like holding it in your hands.

11. nolenuttt

nolenuttt Gold Supporting Member

What he said-For the money, and even if you want to spend more, they’re insanely good for the money-

Figaro likes this.