Straub Cantus opinions...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by AmpliFIRE, Aug 19, 2005.

1. 6120

6120 Member

Timmo, since I was the one resurecting this thread and soliciting opinions I have to say I got your point when you knocked the Straub in your first post, the next few have come off a little combative and mean spirited. I was looking for info on the amp (which your first post provided), not to start an argument. Thank you for the info.

2. wolfpack

wolfpack Supporting Member

I don't want to seem defensive to your use of the term 'counter productive people' but I am curious who you're referring to ?

What is the thread title ?

These are valid OPINIONS from other users of this amp, everyone hears something a little different :YinYang

3. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Yes, there'll be no squashing of opinions. Any novice player's opinion is as important as those who have more experience. Please don't throw a musical resume out there like it should justify instant agreement.

No flames, just lets let other opinions stand.

4. matte

matte Senior Member

hand an eskimo a split headstock explorer and tell me what he/she does with/to it. the value of any object or event is determined by the individual for the individual. it's quite likely that your opinions regarding any range of subjects will be of absolutely no value/significance to me and visa versa. that's a no issue for me.

5. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

??? :NUTS

And I had hoped my 700th post would be so much more meaningful.

6. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Member

No offense intended, but that makes no sense to me what so ever. How can a novice player's opinion be as important as those who have more experience? Regardless of the endevour, by the very definition of the term, the novice bases their opinion on less information and experience than a well seasoned veteran and this is likely to be less accurate.

7. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

Timmo

Your opinions are quite welcome from me.

I sometimes grow weary of all the glowing praise some things get.

Every one has a different opinion of their ideal tone!

:BEER

8. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Generally true.

But I've met and played with many experienced musicians who knew very little about tone. Not bad sounds, but certainly were'nt very concerned about it (concentrating on playing, guitars, etc). And also others who within a few years, knew more about different amp tones and how to achieve it than most will in a lifetime.

I guess my own belief is that I will listen to anyone's opinion. I dislike the assumption that someone who has played for 30 years is going to be a better judge of tone than one who's played 3. Just take a gander at the 'worst tone' thread, and you can see how many seasoned pro's don't get it right (yes, much of that is opinion, which reinforces, rather than negates my point.)

I agree to disagree. Thread hijack in process....

9. matte

matte Senior Member

your emotional relationship to this issue is your business. i prefer to look at this from an existentialist bent. in cliff's case, yes, his opinion holds more water than your's and many others, not simply because of what he's done, but why he was chosen for it. his resume is the result of a skillset that is valuable to many people in an extremely competitive and ever changing industry.

10. Jack Luminous

Jack Luminous Member

Personaly, I wouldn't trust a review of a product from someone who has any kind of financial interest in promoting it. :)

11. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

Jack, if thats the case, then very little in the marketing world will apply to your theory.

Endorsers of products have been around a long time, and that does not necessarily mean the product is being hidden under the protection of their resume.

I for one, know that CliffC, has experience, is a straight shooter, and should capture the attention of anyone who is looking for a valid point of view, based on experience.

12. Jack Luminous

Jack Luminous Member

I have no theory. I just stated my own opinion. You used the word marketing , not me. But I agree. Sometimes, reviews are reviews and sometimes reviews are marketing. Not saying anything about any reviews in this thread.

Well OK, but it has nothing to do with what I said.

13. Guitarfever

Guitarfever Supporting Member

Getting back to the Cantus review for 6120....I have owned my Cantus for 5 months now, and can say that I am even happier now with it than when I first obtained it. I have a matching Bob Burt 2 X 12 vee front cabinet loaded with Scumbacks, an H55 & H75. The amp sounds just amazing, I have also learned to utilize the boost function, which is really great. Please Read my Harmony Central review for the Cantus. Not that it matters to some, but I'm a 50 Y.O. player, started when I was 13. Until just the last decade or so, I was only able to afford rather "middle end" equipment. I have since been fortunate enough to acquire some very nice "high end" pro equipment. So I believe I am comparing "apples to apples" in my review of this amp. All of my musician friends (I'm a working musician) agree that the Cantus sounds fantastic...even our drummer! If your in the market for a Marshall Plexi type amp, with some extras, you really need to consider the Cantus 50. I would just like to put in a word for Harry Straub & Cliff Cultreri. These guys ARE first class, check out Cliffs website
    www.destroyallguitars.com. Read about his music industry experience, hell this guy's famous! His merchandise is top end, it pretty much sells itself. Harry is one of the most accomodating amp builders in existance. He went beyond expectations for me. The customer service these gentlemen provide is stellar. To me, this is an important part of an equipment review.
    While I'm at it, my thanks to Jim at Southbay amps (Scumback Speakers), and Bob Burt Cabinets. All of these fine products allowed me to assemble a great looking & sounding amp. I will be posting pictures soon....
    My whole experience with these products and fine persons is very positive. I highly recommend the Straub Cantus 50 and all the other products I've mentioned, no disappointments whatsoever.