Straub Cantus-Video clip

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wedewer, Feb 19, 2009.

1. wedewer

wedewer Supporting Member

I just uploaded a video clip of my Straub Cantus to youtube. As you can see by the fact that I am in my paint clothes, I have not been getting much work done today. Cant stop playing this amp.

Here is the setup: Straub cantus with Ultimate Attentuator set to about 11 oclock. Orange 212 with vintage 30's. Bedroom switch off, plexi switch off. Volume on amp around 7. 2000 Les Paul classic with skatterbrane pups. Straight in. No pedals.

The video was recorded with one of those ipod size flip video cameras from about twelve fee away. Please forgive the playing. I wasn't warmed up. I just threw together another short clip and added it to this post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=embKhhouNds

I did a second short clip since I first posted this yesterday. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOkeJkXy8IA

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  2. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

Sounds real nice. Thick and chewy. Tell me, how would you say the Cantus compares to the Emplexador and Shiva you have?

3. wedewer

I think the Emplexador and the Shiva are a more refined marshall sound. The cantus, at least the way I run it, is straight up 68 plexi. If you said the emplexador and shiva push open a door, the cantus kicks it open. Cleans up more with the volume knob and is more responsive to pick attack. It really is a fantastic amp. The emplexador cleans up pretty well with the volume knob and it very verstile with the vintage/modern switch, boost switch, and fat switch.

4. HCStraub

HCStraub Member

Hey Rob,
    KILLER video, thanks for posting it. I need to check out the UA, it sounds great. I really like this clip, you can tell you are getting the tubes driven in the sweet spot.

Harry

5. sixkids

sixkids Gold Supporting Member

I don't know about you guys, but I'm hearing led Zeppelin II - Heartbreaker out of that Cantus clip.

6. wedewer

If you turn up the volume a couple more ticks it's van halen I. Little dreamer anyone?

7. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

I had one of those. It is an extraordinary plexi-style amp. As good as anybody else's.

8. 6120

6120 Member

Straub amps are the best . The build quality is tops and the tone is superb. Ten years from now these will be the"Trainwrecks", in my opinion.

9. oinge

oinge Member

Agreed, the Cantus is a great amp. Hooked to a full stack, its true rock bliss. Mine is driving a mix of greenbacks and v30's. If I didn't have to go to work, I'd just stay in the basement all day, plugged into the Cantus.

10. wedewer

I did end up spending most of the day in the basement with the Cantus yesterday. Its a shame more people don't have the chance to try one out. I think they would be floored. Plus you couldn't find a nicer guy on the planet than Harry. I would bet I could take this to his assisted living facility 30 years from now and he would still take a look at if for me. It might be through a magnifying glass, but I get he would.

11. alguit

alguit Member

Hi, I really enjoyed the clip! I'm own Cantus head #10, and it remains my favorite amp, and I have quite a few.

Harry Straub IS a wonderful, wonderful person, and I recommend his amps as highly as I can.

12. wedewer

I am lucky enough to live about 5 miles from Harry. He actually loaned the cantus for about a month to try out before I bought it. How cool is that!

13. alguit

alguit Member

That's terrific! He is such a nice man, I have always enjoyed communicating with him and would like to meet him one day.

I wish you all the best with your Cantus-this is, along with my Budda Twinmaster, an amp I will NEVER sell, and I routinely get offers.

14. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

On top of everyone's comments on the amp and tone, I really enjoyed the playing....!

15. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

it also has a higher gain mode/channel, doesn't it?

16. steelvalley

steelvalley Member

Another Cantus owner - does sound great with a full stack. Yes is has a toggle that engages an extra stage of boost. Also has a pretty good PPIMV, though I think it sounds best cranked. I use a THD HotPlate with great results.
    I'm gonna need new power tubes soon - have any of you guys replaced yours yet? Any suggestions?

17. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Me too........... I think I dig the name the most. "Straub Cantus" just sounds cool. Bob

18. wedewer

If you own a cantus you should get an ultimate attenuator. It kills. Harry told me he's heard it with a lot of attenuators and it by far sounds the best with the UA. Harry also gave me a 12at7 to put in the phase inverter position. Sounds pretty cool. Less gain and a little tighter overdrive.

In fact, I am heading down stares to crank up the cantus right now. Maybe I will make another video clip.

19. wedewer