Straub Cantus vs Aiken Sabre

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DEMENTED, Oct 16, 2005.

1. DEMENTED

DEMENTED Supporting Member

Are these similar sounding? Which has more gain on tap?
    Pros and cons of each?

2. grism

grism Member

This would be an interesting comparison. I am guessing that the Sabre would have more overall gain, while the Cantus would be more true to Plexi roots. I don't think that there are too many folks here who have actually owned both though. I've got my eye on the Cantus as well, more specifically, the 12W Cantus that Harry is still in the design stage with.

3. Lavely

Lavely Silver Supporting Member

I have owned both. The Straub is really a Plexi-style amp, and the cleans are pure Plexi. It also has a boost switch that will take you to some pretty high-gain for a Plexi amp. It gets a bit over-the-top at high gain, but it's in there.

The Sabre has a more glassy, shimmery clean channel - more Fendery than Marshall, but with a bit of Vox thrown in there - not the meaty Marshall cleans at all. Then, it also has a dedicated distortion channel. The distortion has a bit of a harder edge to it, meaning it presents a more modern distortion tone than you would expect from a Marshall, even up through the JCM-800 range.

If you like glassy, Fendery cleans, the Sabre is the way to go. If you like Plexi cleans, the Marshall is the way to go. If you like Marshall-y distortion, the Straub is it. It is best for lower gain, but will get pretty gain with the boost engaged. The Sabre was great if you prefer a more "modern" edge to your distortion - kind of closer to a Boogie, but certainly not all the way there.

Lavely

strangec likes this.
  4. Timmo

Timmo Member

Lavely:
    So you sold both of them I guess and
    Did you have a preference between the two?

5. Lavely

I sold the Sabre because I don't love the "glassy" cleans and I'm more a fan of classic Marshall through JCM800 tones, and I don't care for the "hardness" of more modern, Boogie-like distortion. I have Randall's Invader, and it suits me much better!

I kept the Straub. Great amp.

Lavely

6. Lavely

I will also add - in terms of preference, the two amps are pretty different - kind of like comparing apples & oranges.

The Sabre is a channel-switcher, with a clean & mean side.

The Straub is a Plexi almost-clone, with a boost function that gets it dirtier.

The Sabre has more gain on tap.

Lavely

7. BrentSP

BrentSP Supporting Member

Of the two I only own the Sabre. Its modded marshall to the tilt. If an XTC, Cameron Jose modded Marshall and a Soldano SLO had a threesome the Sabre would be its spawn.

8. DEMENTED

Yeah, I have the Sabre but was wondering if the two were in the same ballpark. I had an SLO but think the Sabre sounds better.
    I had a modded Marshall JMP 50 watt that I had hoped would sound like the Sabre does. It didn't:rolleyes:

9. Timmo

Timmo Member

I'd like to ask you more about the Straub Cantus in a PM if that's ok?

10. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

But that's because you wouldn't listen to me after you asked me about 8 times if it sounded like Metallica. (if you're referring to Rik's modded JMP50 ) I told you over and over it wasn't hi-gain modded and it was modded to sound EXACTLY like Stevie Salas meets Hendrix.. .That's it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have loads of amps that are awesome hi-gain amps but noone ever claimed that one was! ERIC

11. Lavely

Timmo - shoot away via PM or email (easier for me) - jlavely AT ghf DOT net

Lavely

12. DEMENTED

I knew it wouldn't sound like Metallica. I thought it was modded enough to be in the same zone as an amp like the Sabre or SLO. both of which I consider to be "modded-Marshall "types. It didn't disappoint me, it just didn't sound like I thought it would. Although now that I have picked up a Fulltone OCD I think I could put the JMP where I wanted it. I can buy it back from my buddy anytime...just might do that.:D
    It sounded the way you said it would Eric, just didn't turn out to be the "one" for me.

13. BrentSP

BrentSP Supporting Member

So are you digging the Sabre? You don't seem to be all that excited about it.

14. DEMENTED

Oh I am digging it. Haven't been able to put much time in on it yet.
    The dirty channel is sweet and the clean is just what I like. I am running it into an oversized Mesa Recto 4x12 with V30's, do you think that is a good cab match?

15. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I know, but I really tried to tell you! I have modded Marshalls that are hi-gain modded Marshalls. I have my 2204 jcm800 modded by Bruce Egnater with extra tubes, etc and holy **** that kicks hi-gain butt. I've had others too ,but I just wanted to let you know for Rik that one was NOT a hi-gain modded Marshall. It was a modded Marshall in a TOTALLY different way . Had a very active eq , cleaned up 100% with volume pot, and turned into a fuzzy sound when gained out ,instead of your cliche hi-gain marshall distortion. I just felt bad when you bought it and sold it instantly . I would've bought it in a HEARTBEAT if I had any more money .. I already have about 6 Marshalls too! ERIC