Street cars that can exceed 150 MPH....

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by standard24, Apr 27, 2016.

1. standard24

standard24 Member

This is a very interesting time for car enthusiasts. The number of production line autos that are capable of very high speeds, has never been greater. And this is at a time when the quality of available gasoline is at it's lowest. These machines stop, go and corner better than ever. At the same time, getting better fuel mileage than a VW Rabbit used to get.

They are squeezing an amazing amount of energy from a single gallon of gasoline, and successfully putting it to the road.

That said... what is the purpose of purchasing a car with this much capability, for regular street use? Where can one regularly drive in excess of 150 MPH, without risking a fatality, a huge fine, or losing a driver's license? Most states have too much traffic to drive at even 100 mph for more than a few moments. My brother bought a Nissan Altima, with 275 HP. Probably 100 more horses than a small car like that needs to drive way over the maximum speed limit. I asked him why, and he just said because he could.

When someone purchases a car that can go 150 -200 mph, how many total minutes in the life of that vehicle, does it spend running at 150+ mph? And how many drivers are really qualified to drive at those speeds on public roads?

My sister and her husband once traded cars with a family friend for the weekend... Sister had a Split-window Corvette, the friend had an MG. They said they had more fun at 50 mph in the MG that weekend, than they ever did in their Vette. (Very old technology on both..)
    It makes me wonder if having a sporting car of modest capabilities, pushed to it's limits, might be more fun than just barely sampling the capabilities of a car that can easily go much faster than you'd ever want it to go?

Another thought...

Are we reaching the zenith of gas powered automobile performance, or will cars like Bugatti reach for 300 mph and beyond? What about electric cars? Will they continue to go faster until the driver's neck must be restrained like a fighter pilot taking off via catapult?

Just because they can make cars go faster, doesn't mean they should...

rowla likes this.
  2. burner

burner Member

Oh yes, the absolutely should.

Faster is almost always better.....at least the capability to be faster is.
    I mean, I live in a state where there are only 4lane traffic jams an hour and a half a day, so YMMV.

pressure likes this.
  3. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

Whoa... sounds exciting!

[​IMG]

MES10, wilto, skydog and 12 others like this.
  4. mid-city tim

mid-city tim Member

My little '64 Austin Healey Sprite gave me more SPH (smiles per hour) than any other car I've owned!

It was the first one to have roll-up windows and the 949cc engine was replaced with a '67 1275cc.

5. Darkburst

Darkburst Member

Many people with these fast street cars do take them to the track to stretch their legs so to speak. I personally do not care about top speed so much. I do love cars with a lot of torque. Even going from zero to sixty in a few seconds on a highway on ramp is really fun. There's a lot of things in life we don't really need but indulge in simply because we can.

BKL71, scott944, headpond and 6 others like this.
  6. Blue Light

Blue Light Member

The top speed means nothing to me -- except for the potential of getting charged with a felony.
    But the urgency in getting going fast on a fun road, now that's something worth paying for.
    Tires and suspension advances have a lot to do with the new fun capability of so many cars. A friend was taking me through a mountain pass recently in bis BMW M3 (he's an excellent driver with lots of track time) and I was astonished at the car's capability.
    I had my own thrills driving the new Corvette last year on a winding road and I was totally wowed, even though I never got over 85 (I think).

dude9478 and Darkburst like this.
  7. Sarutobi sasuke

Sarutobi sasuke Member

when i used to live in the states i had a few cool cars, only one was capable of breaking 150 mph though. that was my trans am. one day i realized that every time i drove that car, i was a jerk. i parked it and bought a tercel. i kept it but didn't drive it anymore. living here in toronto i would never buy a sports car. it's just pointless here. i built a pretty nice 68 mustang, i went pretty far with the suspension and steering and brakes, but didn't get too crazy with the engine. on a dry road, when the front end was aligned it would corner like it was on rails. that car was alot of fun on a twisty road, and everyone loved the classic look. but the front end would not stay aligned and it ate tires for a snack.

8. NeuromancerAI

NeuromancerAI Member

It can be more fun to drive a slow car fast, than to drive a fast car slow.

neastguy, RCM78, scott944 and 3 others like this.
  9. circle_o_5ths

circle_o_5ths Member

Buying a Bugatti, Lamborghini or Ferrarri is about status, not top speed. Most sit in garages going exactly zero most of the time.

10. taez555

taez555 Member

It's really no different than a world in which most vintage full Marshall Stacks are sitting in someone's Man Cave next to the kids toys and gets cranked up once or twice a year when the wife is away.

Phletch, prytes, BKL71 and 8 others like this.
  11. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

Depends on where you live and if you participate in track events. I've been in Germany when I was doing over 100mph in the right lane and got passed like I was standing still. I've been a passenger in a Ruf RGT at over 200 mph on a back country road in Germany. And I've done years of track events where I got up to about 140 mph on every lap. It's a lot of fun if you hate money, but top speed is not very important for street driving.

12. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl Member

Y'all sound like disgruntled ditch diggers to me.

:D:D:D:D

morlll, Frankee, marktweedy and 8 others like this.
  13. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Those cars usually have higher horsepower, and many people find higher horsepower more fun to drive. Also, with a top end of 150, they're likely to cruise 75 without breaking a sweat, making longer highway drives more fun.

pressure and Darkburst like this.
  14. pjs ire

pjs ire Member

Ha! A 2016 Camero SS was recently clocked at 171 mph on a highway outside of town. Stock off the floor.

pressure and Darkburst like this.
  15. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

My 25 year old Porsche will do better than 150. And it only has 275 HP. It spends most of its life now over 100. But everybody I'm driving with is capable of the same.

Darkburst likes this.
  16. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Speed kills. It's true to a great extent. On city streets there are way too many unknowns to push a car even more than 30-40 over the speed limit. In perfect conditions you might get away with it, but if something happens where you have to make a fast correction:

1. Most people aren't trained or prepared to make emergency manuvers in their cars.
    2. Most street tires aren't going to hook up at speed if you make a sudden hard pitch to the right or left.
    3. There are many things to hit when you are out of control. Trees, poles, guardrails (they will punch right through your car and should be outlawed), buildings, big ditches, bridge abutments and other cars.

I can go on, but I think they are over doing it with the horsepower wars and it puts everyone at danger out there because everyone isn't a great driver. Who was that Fast and Furious movie star guy who died in the Porsche Carrera GT? They weren't going that fast ... and on a nice smooth street, yet they bit the big one.

If every Tom, Dick and Harry were trained to handle the power, I'd think it was the coolest thing ever, but now there to way too many boneheads on the road.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    VCuomo likes this.
  17. Bruce Lychee

Bruce Lychee Member

I know plenty of car enthusiasts who buy Ferraris and drive them every single day. They are beautifully designed cars with amazing performance.

18. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I have hit 125 on my Maxima with plenty of room to spare. Does that count?

19. prototype

prototype Member

"why do you have a $4k rig to play mustang sally"

20. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

Out here in the Bay Area, I see Ferraris, Lamborghinis and the like every day during the commute. BMW and Porsche are like Locusts.