Stress crack in pocket

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by telecopter, Feb 28, 2006.

1. telecopter

telecopter Member

I just got a MM Axis with a stress crack in one of the lower bout pocket corners. It looks to be in the finish only, and NOT the wood.

I'm very anal about that kind of stuff, though. Should I leave it alone, or try to seal it with something?

2. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

I know some people fill them with super glue , I tried it once and It turned out BAD. One wrong drip goes a long way. I did it on a Anderson, got a little on my fingers , touched other parts of the guitar and it went down hill from there. Its common to get that on a tight filtting neck (which is good). The moral is leave well enough alone!!!.

3. telecopter

telecopter Member

Thanks Edward...no offense, but I had to laugh at your story, as I'm the #1 klutz in the universe, and I could see that happening to me, only worse.

I think I'll leave it alone.

4. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

The exact same thing has happened to some of my guitars, I heard the "damage" is only cosmetic in extent. But in your post you did mention that you just got it, if it's a new guitar I suggest you return it.

If there's gonna be a ding or a cosmetic flaw in my guitar, I wanna be the one who's caused it ;)

5. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

I had a Strat with a custom body that had this too. I sold the guitar 10 years ago and the new owner has had no problems with it. (shoulda kept it!).