Strictly FUZZ

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by chrismellotron, May 30, 2013.

1. wrightdude

wrightdude Supporting Member

Really MUST get a Fuzzolo in 2018! Been on my list too long!

Thanks! Not sure what the Earplug Ernie is? But Flooper does some things that cannot be achieved with a typical passive feedback looper, especially with Fuzz... ;)

1. Flooper has a voltage controlled low pass filter in the loop, so expression pedal or CV control can be used to tune/modulate the oscillations (some fuzzes respond better than others). In that clip, an EHX 8 step was stepping through voltages in random mode to drive the Flooper CV input (Tho I also made a few pup changes and vol changes on the guitar in there as well...). You can hear the pitch/modulations as notes decay...

2. Flooper has an option to "invert" the feedback path. This is important with fuzz, as many circuit topologies inherently invert the signal. Those types of circuits will not oscillate (or sometimes not well) as the inverted signal "cancels" when fed back (as opposed to "sums" to induce oscillation).

For HEQ1, it oscillates best with feedback inverted when multiply is "off" (thats what I was using in the clip). With multiply "on" it oscillates best non-inverted.

I would say stick your fuzz in the Earplug Ernie and see what happens....! ;) :)

Purple_Plexi, friend33, AXXA and 2 others like this.
  2. shikawkee

shikawkee Mad King Edmund Gold Supporting Member

Not really similar to the Flooper but cool. I used it a few times and it's been sitting in the closet ever since. I may have to pull it out and play with it again:

[​IMG]

3. Davin Kuntze

Davin Kuntze Member

That's exactly the pedal I've got! It's just a passive feedback looper with a volume control and an on/off switch. I like to run my Ratshack reverb unit through that for weird spaceship drones. Gotta put the HEQ1 in the loop when I get home.

wrightdude and shikawkee like this.
  4. Davin Kuntze

Davin Kuntze Member

Flooper sounds interesting. I remember seeing those over on ILF earlier this year. The Earplug Ernie pedal is a passive loop pedal ... so I guess it's a flooper without the lowpass filter, inverter option or momentary switch.

EDIT: It's called the Yam Hand.
    EDIT EDIT: It's Ernie Earplugs.

5. shikawkee

shikawkee Mad King Edmund Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, it's pretty one-dimensional but cool nonetheless.

Davin Kuntze likes this.
  6. conanb

conanb Member

Picked up a double Muff and a Zvex Mastotron to play with. Loving them both. Very different but both awesome. That is all :dude

AXXA and shikawkee like this.
  7. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

Nice! I want a double muff pretty bad, I used to use a single muff fuzz/OD as my bass sound, but no longer have one. It was a bit boring on guitar though. How's it sound with both sides of the double muff stacked?

conanb likes this.
  8. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

What RadioShack reverb? The Realistic 'electronic reverb' aka short analog delay?

9. friend33

friend33 Silver Supporting Member

The Sun Lion is 2 in 1 pedal: a ge fuzzface and a ge treble booster, so you’d need versions of those two pedals. (Yes, there are less expensive and used options out there.)

dunnoaname likes this.
  10. calfzilla

calfzilla Cynical Hack

I picked up a Subdecay Flying Tomato Fuzz recently... It might have converted me to silicon fuzz, at least for the "traditional fuzz face" type of fuzz. Plenty of volume and gain; don't have to dime the knobs on the pedal and run it into an amp well into breakup to hear the effect. The two band EQ is nice. Haven't dug the wah out of the warehouse yet to see how the buffer performs... Bias knob takes you from spitty velcro to smooth sustain. Best thing ever? Most unique? Nah. But in a sea of fuzz faces that want to focus on being vintage, it was definitely worth the price of admission for a more modern offering.

11. Davin Kuntze

Davin Kuntze Member

That's the one! Been meaning to mod it for a few years to get even more spaceship sounds, but the feedback looper kinda gets me there already.

Dandolin and AXXA like this.
  12. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

Nice! I have one too. It's pretty good as a crusty lofi Fuzz too!

Davin Kuntze and Dandolin like this.
  13. wrightdude

wrightdude Supporting Member

actually... the Ernie has "return level" not "volume" per se... tho I am sure it can have an impact!!!

Flooper has return level "and" a master volume for the loop... so no need for ear plugs.... ha!

I give @TAVD credit for the master volume idea... turns out it was a really good one as some fuzzes are a little timid... but if you crank the fuzz vol they sing! Flooper master allows to adjust back to unity if desired while keeping the fuzz cranked if that' what it needs.... ;)

14. Davin Kuntze

Davin Kuntze Member

I do the same thing sometimes. Crank up that input volume for the furzzzzz.

AXXA likes this.
  15. Davin Kuntze

Davin Kuntze Member

Yes, it's not a volume (although it definitely adds volume) ... it's how much signal you recycle back through the pedal. A master volume is a great idea. Some of the extreme settings are way too loud, it would be great to attenuate them to a usable volumes. I mean, it even says as much on the pedal itself.

*Warning* Extremely high output levels are possible with certain pedal combinations. If precautions are not made, damage to other pedals, amps and speakers may occur.

16. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member

I've had this bad boy for about a week now...just unreal. It honestly might be my favorite out of all of Paul's pedals. The prefab enclosures look killer too. He used the Ford GT40 paint scheme (I think that's a badass idea), and it paid off b/c in person it looks really slick. @splatt have you gotten to play a KS2 version? I assume you've have :) Viva la Tornita! ks2.

[​IMG]

ptdesign, sanfi4u, JVJ and 14 others like this.
  17. friend33

friend33 Silver Supporting Member

Tornita is the bomb. I like the new look. Didn’t know Paul was alreay shipping out prefabs? I’m still waiting on a couple of the last hand finishes, looks like it should be this month.

biffoz, shikawkee and PurpleJesus like this.
  18. DigiTechRep

DigiTechRep Silver Supporting Member

19. johnetone

johnetone Member

That is a thing of true beauty! I’m glad I’m on the list and hope to get the call in a couple years or less. Tornita is definitely the one I want as well!

PurpleJesus likes this.
  20. ck3

ck3 Member

After a series of unexplained CT postal service delays, a Lovepedal Believe arrived today. It falls somewhere between a traditional Green Ringer and Shoe Frog in terms of standalone textures and can transform basic drives and fuzzes into various shades of snarling or piercing octave fuzz.

The internal controls are highly interactive, and it was necessary to dial back the original master volume setting a significant amount to achieve unity gain. Given there are gain bias positions that produce no output without higher master volume levels, I can understand why controls are not located on the outside of the pedal. Still, it would be preferable to have more immediate access to them.

Overall, the Believe seems like a solid pedal for the Black Friday sale price I paid. More time devoted to tinkering internal trimpots is definitely in order.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017