Strictly FUZZ

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by chrismellotron, May 30, 2013.

1. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I really dig the Octron 2 as well. I hadn't seen it in a while and when looking for something else today, I found it on the top shelf along with some other top shelf pedals: 1977 Octavia, Dallas Arbiter Trem Faces, CE-1 and a Foxrox TZF (v.1).

DBBlues, krz4fx, shikawkee and 6 others like this.
  2. friend33

friend33 Silver Supporting Member

Going to check all my closets and shelves now to see if anything like that has magically appeared! :idea

krz4fx, JVJ, ubenjammin2 and 8 others like this.
  3. ck3

ck3 Member

Sounds like a winner. The Crimson King and Super Electric Buzzaround also have plenty of output without the addition of a master volume control, though the Green Shadow is capable of a more diverse array of textures given the master volume makes it possible to dime or minimize balance and timbre without a significant boost or volume drop.

I've also tinkered with the Earthquaker Devices Sound Shank, Mojo Hand Rounder, and SAE Effects Yellow Jacket (relatively obscure Silicon Buzzaround variant), and my current trio of Buzzaround clones are probably my favorites of the lot. At some point, I need to get my hands on a pickdropper Hive Mind.

4. biffoz

biffoz Member

@ck3: Yes! The @pickdropper minis seem so cool. Hive Mind and I want the Rat w/mods and more. Pedalboard FRIENDLY!

5. chrismellotron

chrismellotron Member

Facebook, I think. Someone on here posted a link to Guitar Center at a Good price. I snagged it from there.

DBBlues and Echoplexi like this.
  6. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

Thanks man

DBBlues and chrismellotron like this.
  7. chrismellotron

chrismellotron Member

No problem. Would like to try a Fuzzbud and Magnabender. Creepy Face would be sweet too.

DBBlues, krz4fx, JVJ and 1 other person like this.
  8. JVJ

JVJ Member

One more crosspost from the BA EU Tourbox thread:
    As with the other clips: LP into fuzz into UAD plexi with some plugin reverb.

First up is the Bye Bias. I was going for different textures here. The first part is with the volume barely above the point where it just gates off completely. Followed by a couple of strokes messing around with the gating threshold, followed by switching back and forth between a rolled-down bridge pickup and a full-volume neck pickup. At 1:25 I stumbled upon a particularly synthy sound and went with it for a while.

Up next is the Super Fuzz. Was going for textures with this one too. The first minute and a half are going with volume at full blast. Followed by two minutes of intermodulations and various skronking before going full blast again at the end. Ridiculous sustain in this one. There is a 'motorboating sound' for lack of better word at 1:10 and again around 4:10. It is just the lower E strummed hard, clashing with higher hammer-ons and pulloffs played softly.

I'm still working on a couple more tracks, more like sketches for songs than these two clips. But they're just taking a lot longer to finish than I had expected. And despite being off from work, I can't spend all my time fuzzing around.

I am really loving this tourbox. :)

9. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

Mr. Fripp, in the parlor, with a wicked grin...

-bEn r.

10. TAVD

Fumbling my way through a '77 Octavia and '18 SM VII (Nebula). Ronin Palus Mourn into a Tone King Meteor II set clean and bright with amp and Molecular Disruptor verbs. Maybe not the ideal or typical setup for Octavia. 45s of Octavia at lowest gain, followed by 45s of lowest gain Nebula, then a few minutes of ramping up the gain on Octavia, then Nebula (which I don't think is 100% right yet).

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    Empros, stephen sawall, AXXA and 12 others like this.
  11. krz4fx

krz4fx When too many really is TOO many... Gold Supporting Member

I hear you...boy do I HEAR YOU!!!! I just stopped pretending...

12. DBBlues

DBBlues Formerly fullertone Silver Supporting Member

Octavia! Octavia! So cool ...

tedm, friend33, JVJ and 1 other person like this.
  13. friend33

friend33 Silver Supporting Member

“Stopped pretending” = “the beginning of bin binge-buying”? ;)

krz4fx, AXXA, biffoz and 2 others like this.
  14. TAVD

Oddly enough, I acquired it during a "buy the entire product line" phase after I had already bought a Pedalflanger, loved it, then bought a Parapedal. It was probably the most I'd spent on a pedal at the time but I had to have the suite. I even have a Tycobrahe direct box and gave a live console, pa speakers, power amps and line delay some serious consideration.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    AXXA, DBBlues, friend33 and 4 others like this.
  15. Mcentee2

Mcentee2 Member

Slightly off topic, but would you mind running through that DD500 setting for fwd/Reverse with an expression pedal?

Is this an assignment in a single patch or blending between A and B OUTPUT levels (one goes up while the other goes down) ?

(I have a BA Super Fuzz on its way, all clips sound great!)

16. johnetone

johnetone Member

How much do you like those other pedals? The Octavia sounds great! I could never get my reissue ‘Octavian’ by Chicago Iron to sound half as good.

17. biffoz

biffoz Member

I don't mess with the A/B thing at all—It's a single patch, using the Assign function to simultaneously take dry volume from 100-0 and wet volume from 0-100. I have a few versions, with varying slopes for how quickly they swap, but my fave one currently is the one that toggles them instantly from 0-100/100-0. No regen, of course. Then you just party with your foot on the pedal as you play.

Super-easy and fun and probably the best simple reverse I've used, although my Red Panda Tensor has amazing reverse madness in several unique hybrid forms, so I have a couple really great reverses available almost instantly, as well as the reverse on my Digitech Obscura, which I don't use much cause Obscura is more my "cloud machine".

I use the DD-500 as my main static looper, so it's almost always in looper mode, with whatever patch I'm using turned ON, but getting no input due to expression pedal assignments—I can just pedal in various fx while looping and even grab those fx with overdubs if desired.

krz4fx, Empros, Seance and 2 others like this.
  18. DBBlues

DBBlues Formerly fullertone Silver Supporting Member

Oh, I so get it. I have almost the whole suite of MXR script pedals.

shikawkee likes this.
  19. biffoz

biffoz Member

Well, I tried the Fat Fuzz Factory in "fuzzface" mode and it's pretty rad as a straight fuzz too, with the additional benefits of having a lot of control over gating and compression with those knobs.

FFF also pretty much covers most of my White Atom's splatty/gated modes, but I'll say it again: WA has a very nicely tuned midrange, which really isn't present in any other pedals I've tried yet and that alone really keeps me coming back. Loving White Atom's Muffier modes, with bias cranked clockwise, for sweet, singing stuff. Haha, that said, FFF and FF's have a very toothy open tone, which is also really cool.

Still hiding from that pesky FNORD in my studio, but managed to wank some tracks today, so more drivel upchucking ahead!

adamajah, krz4fx, Empros and 4 others like this.
  20. shikawkee

shikawkee The One True King

Nice! What's your favorite oscillation setting?

I've also become a huge fan of the DD-500. Lots of programmable goodness in that unit. Somebody put up a faux CT5 setting recently for it on YouTube even.

Seance and biffoz like this.