Strictly FUZZ

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by chrismellotron, May 30, 2013.

1. Phineas Ball

Phineas Ball Fuzz-o-mite! Silver Supporting Member

The Spooky does have great decay and it's a great fuzz. Can go all "white noise into resolution" kinda thing. You said "I play rock, punk, alt, indie and smoke pot," which struck me as being right up the Orpheum's alley. It'll rasp and it'll grind, it's unruly, and it'll get ******* loud.

Obviously, you should get them both.

I'm sad to report that there's nothing on my radar I want. I must have a fever or something. Well, I guess I do kinda want the EHX Triangle reissue, but it's a Muff (obviously) and I've never grokked the Muff, so I'm only so motivated to pick one up. The Supa Mk 1, Nebula, Gold Bender, and Bad Pixel Buzzaround that I acquired in the first half of 2018 keep hogging all the play time, because they're great.

I really probably could strip my whole collection down to those four plus the Echopark F-1, Fuzz Mutant, and I6W9 BC183.

Not that I'm going to!

2. Phineas Ball

3. calfzilla

calfzilla Cynical Hack Silver Supporting Member

Need some Monsterpiece! *poke poke*:D

4. Peps

Peps Fuzz Connoisseur Silver Supporting Member

Thanks man! I sent him a message through Facebook. Fingers crossed, Scott at BMF told me he will build it if I find someone to paint it. Cheers

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    AXXA, biffoz and shikawkee like this.
  5. Peps

I’m sure it’s wasn’t the circuit you build. It was a one knob and a toggle switch pedal.

John, since you make them from scratch, what pedal would complement best the fuzz mutant? I was leaning towards the orpheum cause I want gobs of fuzz, from A to Z. I want psychedelic, trippy sounds full of fuzz. I want to create an ambient full of bubbles of fuzz that when popped, create a gorgeous wavey decay. Is it too much putting a throbby between the orpheum and the mutant? Guide me, John.

Sorry for the long post, and best wishes.

lonelylooper and shikawkee like this.
  6. biffoz

biffoz Member

I happen to have both and they have contributed to many tracks in surprising and inspiring ways. Still not completely acclimated to Orpheum's low-end and how to sit it in a mix (when playing; no prob after), so it's not my first choice, only for that reason. Spooky's rad and in some ways, I tend to feel Spooky and Orpheum have some similarities.

Haha, I must have that same fever Phineas. While I've had Muffs and utilized them gleefully, I find Duplex gets me close enough, with the added benefits of it's extreme range and flexibility in the low-mid gain range—add the top-secret Starve Dongle and it's a contender in the gated fuzz and splatty realms too. So Duplex really is my star fuzz atm and like you, I'm not sure I need anything just now. Plenty of wants, but few needs. With the tourbox coming, I'm pretty sure I'll be wanting something new. (Supa MK1!) *-)

7. Custom Deluxe

Custom Deluxe Supporting Member

I just saw John posted a picture of his version of an Ampeg Scrambler on IG. Looked rad!

8. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

Ooh, looks like a nice one! :love:

AXXA, Flatscan, ellsworthman and 13 others like this.
  9. basicaudio

basicaudio Member

The Fuzz Mutant and the Orpheum are pretty different so you'd cover a good bit of ground.
    As far as stacking I'd go for the Wildcat which stacks well and also does well with the Thobby before it
    for some swell and pulsing (almost univibe like fun).

They are cousins and share some skeletal similarities.
    Overall different sound but they share a bit here and there
    as far as texture and how they operate.

ChampReverb, Flatscan, JVJ and 4 others like this.
  10. Peps

Thanks for the response, John. One more before I make up my mind; If I would get a spooky tooth, a bye bias, an orpheum and a fuzz mutant, two fuzzes per box, what configuration do you recommend to create the wickest ambient?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  11. basicaudio

basicaudio Member

All of those are pretty strong/textured and very charactered pedals,
    not necessarily the best stackers because of that. Not to say that it
    won't work but it's hard to say how they would stack and still retain
    what makes them cool. At lower gains per each I think they would be nice though.
    I'd say Spooky into Bye-Bias and Orpheum into Fuzz Mutant. So lowest gain or
    the ability to get lowest gain into Higher gain. It's hard to say.

12. Peps

Thanks, John. I figured it would be too much strength, so I kind of gave up o with the idea of stacking. However. What I want to do is to be able to complement the fuzzes; jump from one ambient to another "smoothly" without loosing the vibe, the flow. For example, start with one fuzz into a pigtronix keymaster, and then switch to the other fuzz, and vice versa. I agree, it's key that the fuzzes retain what makes them cool.

DBBlues, basicaudio and shikawkee like this.
  13. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

my last post here was on another pedal. but I ordered this cause how could you say no to this baby???

14. Tom Von Kramm

Tom Von Kramm Silver Supporting Member

I've been chasing this fuzzstortion for a while, but TBH it is a little disappointing. Very noisy.

[​IMG]

kor, PurpleJesus, AXXA and 7 others like this.
  15. Peps

Is it an orange flavor fuzzy dirt?

DBBlues likes this.
  16. calfzilla

calfzilla Cynical Hack Silver Supporting Member

Sorry to hear that Tom!

DBBlues likes this.
  17. Tom Von Kramm

Supposed to be, and there is some Orange flavor that is more on the OR80/100 side than the modern RV/TV.

Peps, DBBlues and shikawkee like this.
  18. Tom Von Kramm

I've been fiddling with the 3 internal trim pots (on cursory glance, it looks like they control Q1/Q2/Q3?) and I can tame the noise a bit, but it sacrifices gain and the "happy" range is very, very, small. I don't hate it, I'm just more "whelmed" than "overwhelmed," more "non-plussed" than "plussed..."

PurpleJesus, Flatscan, biffoz and 7 others like this.
  19. Phineas Ball

"Naturally, I aded some volume to the circuit." :D

I had exactly the same reaction. I'm such a sucker for a pretty finish.

Great knobs, though.

Tom, your Facebook page is like the best tease ever. Can I just sign up now to buy whatever you're making?

20. ck3

ck3 Member

This month continues to get more fuzzy by the day. My preordered Earthbound Centurion was delivered today.

I tend to equate Fuzzfaces with Rock and Psychedelia. The Centurion definitely covers expected territory, but can also out doom most of my current Muffs with its dense mids and Bee-Baa-like ripping overtones.

Some settings remind me of starved Option 5 Destination Squarewave textures, though the Centurion is capable of far more saturation and output than the aforementioned fuzz. There is a bit of hiss when it is active, and no battery clip, but the Centurion is still a keeper.

I plan to conduct an A/B doom comparison when my inbound EHX Triangle Muff RI arrives.