1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Strictly FUZZ

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by chrismellotron, May 30, 2013.

1. Daniel Brothers

Daniel Brothers Member

I bought “arctic white” fuzz based on reading this thread.

It is good but not nearly as good as “wren and cuff tall font”

I think the wren and cuff tall font is the best and most versatile fuzz

2. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

Hey @splatt, do you recall what fuzz(es) you used on Gidya Hana?

Also, have you ever done anything with Steve Tibbetts, or talked about doing so? That would kick some ass, by my estimation.

Dandolin and DBBlues like this.
  3. Phineas Ball

Phineas Ball Fuzz Silver Supporting Member

Nice. When you're ready to unleash the stack, try running a dark-ish fuzz into the Nebula and blending at like 2:00 to 3:00 or whatever. You're a lover of Mk 1s... try one of those. Oh yeah. Yum.

Thanks a lot, man. The pitchy stuff would be a Thermae, that son of a pitch! It's all I've got that pitches. The swoosh would be the Explorer. With my regular jam trio, I've been playing a Twin Reverb for a few years now. Its headroom makes it possible, easy even, to layer loops (with an Infinity) with lots of different textures from clean to superfuzzed and everywhere in between. I've found that when the density gets (arguably too) dense, a slow phasing from the Explorer stands out beautifully, whereas a Phase 90, which is of course a lovely effect, is too soupy.

None of my amps at home have that same headroom, so the clarity from one part to the next tends to get smeared. The Princeton run clean works OK. FWIW, I used to play a JMP 50 all the time, and while I loooovvveeee that amp and Marshall tone in general (who doesn't, I wonder :D), when it's dialed to sound great, breaking up, layered looping kind of goes out the window.

I have now! :D

I've had this thing going lately with a Voyager and its envelope control, super fast onset slowing down through the sustain. At a peak moment of a jam that effect can really send the intensity into orbit.

Tremolo can do such cool stuff. In this clip, I was sitting on the floor, managing the feedback in a Meed Maude, which was feeding a Hexe Revolver, feeding an Explorer, feeding a Voyager, and clicking the Voyager on and off. (I might have smoked something, it's legal here :D). As the Explorer cycles through louder and softer passages, the Voyager speeds up and slows down, and clicking it on and off... well, fun times!

I'm 50 PPP man, myself.

Coupla years ago I read the whole thread from the top. Considering where it is today, the first couple of pages are hilarious. And it is a time machine, and part of what we learn is the timelessness of fuzz.

4. Phineas Ball

Phineas Ball Fuzz Silver Supporting Member

However one pages it out, that was the 40,000th post to this thread.

@chrismellotron - look at your baby, all growed up!

dpark89, DBBlues, johnetone and 5 others like this.
  5. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

i’ll check, and get back to ya.
    pretty sure it would have been a FuzzFactory or a Prescription Electronics Experience, but it might have been something more arcane.

at last count — 2016? — we were maybe gonna do a trio w/leo kottke: ha! didn’t happen.

6. Stephen J

Stephen J Member

Ordered a Supa mk1 through John- my 4th BA , pretty excited though I've got to find some discipline - listening to more and more Bye Bias clips..

What reverb suggestions pair well with fuzz in mind? I've had a red Panda on order for quite some time, though I've been wondering about the Caroline Meteore lately. Recommendations?
    My delay is a Rubberneck,and tremolo a Source Audio Vertigo

dpark89, DBBlues, Echoplexi and 4 others like this.
  7. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

Thanks. That would be appreciated.

As for Steve, man I would love it if you two ever did do a project together. Seems like a great fit, and you're both top notch folk. Not that I've met you in person, but I have met Steve a number of times.

DBBlues and splatt like this.
  8. Peps

Peps Fuzz Magisterium Bishop Gold Supporting Member

My favorites are Immerse , Space Race, Transmisser, and my beloved Peavey SRP-16. Transmisser is creepy. Creepy good.

Im getting the Dwarfcraft Threeverb when it comes out, I’ll let you know how it goes. Good luck, and Fuzz on!

dpark89, DBBlues and Stephen J like this.
  9. Gone Fission

Gone Fission Member

Hells yes to hearing a Torn and Tibbetts teamup.

(Found Steve in college nearly 25 years ago, and that led me to his first college-project album. So for electronic music studio I was bringing my Strat and 12 string acoustic to layer with the ARP synth and was flipping tape. His project was a lot better, but oh man I had fun.)

Dandolin, dpark89, DBBlues and 3 others like this.
  10. johnetone

johnetone Supporting Member

Maybe you should try the White Atom V2 (4-knob) now?

Man, I just love the Mercury 7. It sounds great with all of my fuzz. Even when they’re all turned on at the same time. It’s real punchy and sounds fantastic.

11. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

The Supa Mk1 is phenomenal. Ive been liking my Flint with it for reverb (and tremolo).

dpark89, DBBlues, shikawkee and 2 others like this.
  12. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

Here, on the highest numbered Strictly FUZZ page (to date), is the longest ever Lunar Asylum track (to date). It's roughly 33 1/3% longer than our precious record holder, but we have a good excuse. Sitting in was @wrightdude !!! so we had 33 1/3% more players. There was fuzz. And delay.

It was a total pleasure to have Jack here, and he fit right in immediately. I mean, this was supposed to be the sound check, but we didn't stop for almost an hour.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  13. Flouncingfleasbag

Flouncingfleasbag Supporting Member

Has there been much discussion of fuzz into Solid States on here?

Anyone use a Quilter with fuzz?

Related- Hudson Broadcast, JHS Color Box, Bogner and Benson Preamp users, how do you like hitting those with fuzz ( pre and/or post)?

The Jext Telez White Pedal and the new Caroline Hawaiian Pizza have "that sound", as heard via youtube demo's, that I imagine I crave. The new CBA Automotone hits much of that for me, too.

My Jext Telez Uni-drive does a good job that way. As do Klone(s) and DOD 250's. I have shied away from Fuzz into overdrives and boosts as of late but I really want to replicate the sound of my very nice, flat studio headphone monitors plugged into a kind of junky DJ mixer I have. Of course, it's kind of an impossible ask, as very nice headphones are going to sound so different with Fuzz than an amp. I love the full spectrum sound of a fuzz pedal without the typical guitar amp voicing. It's so much more rich sounding.

* full bodied sound. I wonder if 4x12 ( or 10') closed back cab would help. It's been a long time since I've owned one. I used to have an old Sunn 2x15 that matched my Sunn Soldano head, but I wasn't yet full on fuzz-head back then. Bass amp? Something like a nice quality JBL powered speaker, like the way synth ayer use them? That combination with the compression from a mixing board type of sound. That might be more satisfying than a Bass amp, but I've never tried that.

14. Seance

Seance Member

Great stuff! I haven't listened to the entire clip. I made it to.....
    Sonic cilia. Paisley paramecium. Petri dish pyrotechnics.
    Haunted pocket calculator cascading down staircase shadows.

JVJ, Phineas Ball, wrightdude and 8 others like this.
  15. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

He's back!

Phineas Ball, Seance, dpark89 and 3 others like this.
  16. dpark89

dpark89 Supporting Member

Very cool! I'm a huge of the tremolo (have a Basic Audio Throbby), but I've been using it for that slow, smooth bias trem type sound. Sounds like it's time for me wade into choppy territories! Sweet setup you have there and I'm a big fan of the SG. The iPhone recording sounds great man. Before I got the OX, I would do the same thing and it surprised me how well it seemed to work.

Sweeeet. Thermae has always intrigued me and Chase Bliss stuff is awesome. I owned a Tonal Recall BK version a while ago but am always interested in what they have cooking. The Twin thing makes sense. I don't have/play with a looper but have been interested in the Pigtronix Infinity for some time. I've yet to dabble with a phaser and really dig the way you use it.

Dig the new clip! It's always a pleasure and I really enjoy how you're able to put everything together, from the effect choices, recording, playing and production. Great stuff!

17. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

It's national pizza day and no Hawaiian Pizza on sale anywhere.

adamajah, dpark89, shikawkee and 3 others like this.
  18. dpark89

So I tried to dial in a Shallow Water inspired patch using the SA Ventris yesterday, and I was surprised at what I was able to get. Of course it won't do the SW thing 100%, but I was able to dial it in pretty close to how I was using the SW. (I regrettably sold the SW recently).

The cool thing is that you can get the effect in stereo which adds width, depth and some other interesting stuff that can't be done with the SW. But how cool is it that you can do something like this with a REVERB pedal! (At least I think it is)

The clip features the Basic Audio Zippy for fuzzy goodness. Clip noted for when effects come on/off.

EDIT: forgot to mention to listen with headphones or monitors for the full stereo effect.

JVJ, adamajah, StratmanSteve and 12 others like this.
  19. Peps

Peps Fuzz Magisterium Bishop Gold Supporting Member

Maybe this will help? :dunno
    Caroline Guitar Company Hawaiian Pizza Fuzz Overdrive
    https://reverb.com/item/16143218-ca...overdrive?utm_source=ios-app&utm_medium=share

That was pretty sweet man. I love the peace my SW gives me.

20. dpark89

Thanks! I understand what you mean. When I had the SW, I would just play a clean chord and let it ring out with the SW on just to listen to all the subtle movements. Aptly named pedal for sure.

Peps, Tabor, Dandolin and 2 others like this.