1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Strictly FUZZ

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by chrismellotron, May 30, 2013.

1. wrightdude

wrightdude Supporting Member

OK, here is a shorty with the @basicaudio Duplex working with the Jackson 8-string:

^^^ Jackson 8-string > Duplex > EHX Grand Canyon > Princeton (w/12" Cannabis Rex) > SM57

Sorry about the rather pentatonic lead... thats about all I can play reliably on that guitar at this stage... :rolleyes:

So glad we could pull it off! Next time I am in the same time-zone. . . :)

ha!

I see some recent clips... will be back to check em out soon...

Phineas Ball, Empros, JVJ and 15 others like this.
  2. basicaudio

basicaudio Member

Wow. What a sound!

Flatscan, DBBlues, wrightdude and 6 others like this.
  3. Peps

Peps Fuzz Magisterium Bishop Gold Supporting Member

So, @Phineas Ball, I stacked the Nebula with a Faceless MkI and it sounds thicker and spittier, just plain amazing. Like it grew an extra pair. Your recommendation was pot on. It makes you wanna keep playing non-stop. And I dig being able to throw some octave here and there. Like flying katanas when cranked. The Nebula is good by itself, but stacked is amazing. This characteristic of the pedal, to me, is worth keeping. It’s an expensive stacker, tho :p.

This is what I have on my plate tonight:

Also, I received this:

The Silbermaschine is an octave fuzz. Definitely in the brighter spectrum. Feels like an uncompressed and more articulated Tonebender. At certain settings gives you a fuzz face vibe. I’m very impressed of how interactive the three knobs are. It can go from sounding like a banjo all the way to playing a sitar with a katana. Too bright for my taste, tho.

The buzza into the peavey and into the grazer is extremely fun and twisted. ThenCt5 just arrived from Montréal, I was able to snag one few weeks ago thanks to Instagram. I have only tried it with the Ghost Fax and I’m hooked. I’m really digging it, so I’m going to use it with everything you see in the first picture.

Phineas Ball, JVJ, johnetone and 9 others like this.
  4. biffoz

biffoz Member

I now have tilt-back legs on my Power Engine and it's pretty dang sweet.

New, downsized pedalboard has PTD Bone GTX and Fat Fuzz Factory as the main fuzzes, with Spark doing boost/voicing duties. The slot for the Bone is the variable and most often it's the Looking Glass, but I dig Duplex and Carcosa there, cause they both do low-gainer stuff and stack well. I can hang overflow pedals in the junction box, where another insert handles a volume pedal.

[​IMG]

During the WrightDudeFest, my laptop display finally fully separated from the body, the hinge completely disintegrated from a single drop about a year ago; after some weak, hinky efforts, Pro-Black-Duct Tape was acquired and is solid. *-) I'll do more wrapping so it sags less. Not buying no stinking laptop anytime soon.

[​IMG]

And dang if I ain't reposting Systolic, the new hit single from Dood and the Loons DudeFestival Bonanza. I'd know that guys sound anywhere.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Empros, JVJ, raj007 and 14 others like this.
  5. JoePerkinsMusic

JoePerkinsMusic Member

Just compared a MkI, II and III from Williams Audio...such an amazing trio of classic fuzzy goodness!!

JVJ, stonecabin, Squatch57 and 12 others like this.
  6. songtalk

songtalk Member

Arcane Analog Buzzaround incoming!

My first Buzzaround but i love Crimson.

I got a feeling I am gonna love it!

The 2065 is giving me tons of joy. The interaction between the tone/bias/attack knobs is absolutely insane and produces a wonderful myriad of textural complexity. It also just sounds amazing.

I'm also smitten with the Basic Audio Supa Mk.1. It has such a musical voice. Where normal Mk.1s hiss and sputter and screech the Supa Mk.1 moans and purrs and howls. It's freaking sweeeeet! Big expressive sound!

Mk.1 = crispy / Supa Mk.1 = crunchy

7. dpark89

dpark89 Supporting Member

Damn! Kicking major ass as usual! Sounds friggin huge and awesome playing. Love the ending bit too. And to think that you're able to get all those sounds out of a Princeton and a SM57. Just goes to show your mad skillz. Great stuff!

biffoz, shikawkee, johnetone and 3 others like this.
  8. adamajah

adamajah Supporting Member

I’m curious about this too, especially with the Benson. Might have better luck in their respective threads.

9. wrightdude

wrightdude Supporting Member

Yeah... not every fuzz likes the Jackson... that was the first time I tried the Duplex and was pleasantly surprised! :)

"hit single" ha! :)

You will love it! Still have mine... it is a mean machine!

All I did was point and shoot! Yeah, I threw the ending on mostly cause I liked the envelope the Duplex made with those vol swells...! Thanks!!!

biffoz, shikawkee, basicaudio and 2 others like this.
  10. Drewbaru

Drewbaru Member

I’ve been thinking about the Hawaiian Pizza. I already have a Carcosa. Would they be different enough? Or is there too much overlap?

DBBlues and shikawkee like this.
  11. songtalk

songtalk Member

I'd say they're different. But can cover similar ground. The Pizza is really nice and voiced in a way that I think is fairly different overall than what the Carcosa sounds like. The Pizza wants to do more singing sweet sounds that can crumble. The Carcosa wants to do crunchy and screechy sounds that crumble but can smooth out a good bit with the hi cut and drive pedals upstream.

For something very different I suggest a germanium fuzz circuit as they just behave and sound different than silicon in general.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  12. johnetone

johnetone Supporting Member

I love playing the Nebula by itself into reverb. It sounds nothing like any of my other octave up fuzzes either. So sometimes I stack it with more octaves.

13. JRzoidz

JRzoidz Member

Not really fuzz...more like middy high gain...I do not have a working EQ...WAYYY too middy...you have to scoop.

DBBlues and shikawkee like this.
  14. shikawkee

shikawkee Mad King Edmund Gold Supporting Member

Incoming. I made a whole album a few years ago with just this and a PTD fuzz and it sounds superb. Can't believe I sold that one so this rectifies my error. And I dig pink:

[​IMG]

15. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

All is right in the world.

Arcane makes a great Buzzaround, nice buy!

16. Phineas Ball

Phineas Ball Fuzz Silver Supporting Member

Damn! Nice!

17. mydogisarobot

mydogisarobot Member

Slow fuzz day? Well, let me share with you how I write homework problems:

18. Peps

Peps Fuzz Magisterium Bishop Gold Supporting Member

19. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

@splatt has an article about his new album in Premier Guitar, super cool!

DBBlues, anxiousmofo, dpark89 and 9 others like this.
  20. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

ah, thanks! just a little spotlight, there, on my Sun of Goldfinger release on ECM Records, now avail. as a pre-sale at Amazon & etc.; available on Bandcamp as well, at Screwgun Records.
    cd & vinyl.

anyway, t seems like something of a much broader scope might occur for me with Premier Guitar, soon.

here’s the label’s “teaser” for the release; i had to cut from 2 pieces whose combined length was 43:20 down to 02:38 for the video artist, lol argh lol ha!
    damn. insanely difficult, when each of the 3 pieces from the “record” clock in @ >20:00.

to stay on topic, i’m using two different fuzzes in this minimal clip; first a GhostFX 2065 (into a Whammy ricochet, or not), then my BasicAudio ByeBias Si in the final segment.

DBBlues, Tabor, Echoplexi and 33 others like this.