Strictly FUZZ

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by chrismellotron, May 30, 2013.

1. brian_ward

brian_ward Member

Hey gang! I’m shopping for a fuzz but I can’t quite nail down which one. The sound I hear in my head has the big immediate firm low end of the muff family but has the more grindy mids and highs of a tonebender style thing. I don’t care more for the super splatty sounding low end thing a lot of tonebenders seem to do (from the clips I’ve heard) and having owned muffs, I could never really get the mid range response I wanted. Any help would be appreciated!

DBBlues and Peps like this.
  2. Peps

Peps Fuzzonaut / Fuzzombie / Fuzz Magisterium Bishop Gold Supporting Member

Have you check the Buzzaround? Sounds just like the sound in your head :)

DBBlues, friend33, johnetone and 2 others like this.
  3. shikawkee

shikawkee The One True King

That La Riva from Wren and Cuff is a ridiculously awesome Muff and can get the mids too. Everything you need in the Muff family right there. Also maybe, maybe, take a look at Wilson Effects new World War distortion. It can get Muffy with more mids, fuzzy with less woof and all the way down to OD. Sounds killer.

But like @Peps suggested a Buzzy might be just the ticket. Massive but cuts.

DBBlues, friend33, brian_ward and 2 others like this.
  4. brian_ward

brian_ward Member

Excellent. I’ll look into those! I’ve been curious about buzzaround style pedals ever since I heard clips of the stonefly grizzly. Dang! Anyone else make one of note? Also, is a master volume a good thing to have with the circuit? I heard it gets very loud. Can anyone comment on skreddy pedals? Specifically the lunar module mini dlx, cognitive dissonance, p19?

DBBlues, Peps and shikawkee like this.
  5. shikawkee

Not a Skreddy fan but Super Electric, Ghost and Monsterpiece make killer Buzzy's and Dizzy Tones for that matter. Arcane Analog makes a great Buzzy too.

DBBlues, Peps and brian_ward like this.
  6. Peps

Couldn’t agree more with @shikawkee Monsterpiece makes a killer bzzz that’s spot on. I borrowed one from a fellow TGPer, and at the moment, I can compare it with the grizzly, a Blackstrap, and a Ghost, and it sounds just like them. Closer to the Ghost, actually. Arcane also makes great Buzzarounds. I don’t have one, but it should be here in about 2-3 weeks. He is making a special run with NKT213, if transistors tickle your fancy :)

The P19 is like a darker muff, more mids and more compression. It nails the “Wall” tone. I thought was limited, as far as “sweet spots”.
    You can’t go wrong with Lunar Module, it’s a time machine. Extremely tweakable silicon fuzz face. Nails the “dark side of the moon”. And I have no experience with the cognitive.

DBBlues, brian_ward and shikawkee like this.
  7. brian_ward

brian_ward Member

Will do some digging. Thanks! Also I’m gonna sit down with one of those La Rivas. A shop just down the road from me carries W&C

DBBlues and shikawkee like this.
  8. brian_ward

brian_ward Member

Alright sounds like the p19 is out! Still want a LMMD buuuuut the buzzy sounds like it might but the answer for this specific sound.

DBBlues and shikawkee like this.
  9. ibzprestige

ibzprestige Supporting Member

Just got one of the new Creepy Fingers Harakiri Fuzzes from axe and you shall receive, talk about a ton of fun and different textures available in one box!!! The upper octave tones on my strat sound great too! Really enjoying it! It does seem a little noisy though, does anyone else have one, is this normal for super fuzzes? Lots of static and kind of a high pitched white noise in the background.

EDIT: seems like maybe the super fuzz likes to run with a clean amp better, I turned the gain down pretty low on my amp and and it got better, still a little noisy.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    DBBlues, misa, friend33 and 5 others like this.
  10. shikawkee

Oh and Stephen Douglas also made a killer Buzzaround. I don't know if he's still around but you could look used. The ones I listed would be my first choice though. Good luck!

11. Vash33

Vash33 Supporting Member

I wanna get one too!!! Having trouble finding one though. Can’t find a website for Dandrive. Would love to contact him to get the Simo tweaked version.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    DBBlues, Björn S and Peps like this.
  12. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

Thanks, I forgot about the Nonts.

Your descriptions and comparisons are really helpful, thanks! I'll be curious to hear more about the Low Volt once you've had some time to explore. Imploding Major Wreckage sounds alluring... not a bad band name either...

Thanks for posting those clips. You make both pedals sound great but the more intense possibilities from the ByeBias seem more like what I'd be after.

By the way I made it out to one of the Sun of Goldfinger concerts on your recent tour. What a fun, adventurous trio! I last saw Tim Berne play live like 15 years ago so that was a treat and a bit of a time warp. Excellent playing all around (dunno if you had the Bye Bias that night). I should really pick up a copy of the album you released.

DBBlues, wrightdude, friend33 and 6 others like this.
  13. Björn S

Björn S Member

Send him an e-mail: info@dandrivepedal.com :) There is a two-month waiting time as of now.

DBBlues, Vash33 and shikawkee like this.
  14. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

Must have a zombie box

DBBlues and Peps like this.
  15. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Another random one one is the BA Foxey Lady fuzz, modeled after the Muff precursor fuzz.

gravy, DBBlues and shikawkee like this.
  16. XeMeme

XeMeme Silver Supporting Member

And if the Buzzaround doesn't have enough gain/fuzz for you, check out Dizzy Tone circuits (I have a Jext Telez v6 version and I think Ghost Effects makes a reputable one). I believe it was designed back in the 70's based off of the Buzzaround with more fire on tap. People on this thread have described it as a muff for people who don't like playing muffs. There are some Tone Bender qualities to it and it reacts to my guitar very similar to my Sunface too.

I run it first on my board fwiw.

DBBlues, wrightdude, friend33 and 2 others like this.
  17. Peps

I spent few hours last night with the HP-2

It feels like a distortion, and it acts like a fuzz. It can actually behave like an overdrive too. It enhances your tone at lower volumes, when cranked, it freaking melts your amp and sounds like it’s breaking the sh!!t out of it, in the best possible way. The louder, the better. Amazing sustain, specially with humbuckers, very musical with superb note definition, and 7.1 surround sound 3D hi-fi harmonics like you’d suspect. Now I know why you rarely see them for sale.

I just found out that Chuck Collins is making the Interfax HP-1, same parts same everything, only 17 minutes away from where I live. I’m definitely giving him a call and ask him if I can stop by. Here is the link if anyone interested, it’s called theremaniacs (it’s also a sign that I need to get a theremine):
    http://www.theremaniacs.com/about.html

@brian_ward I forgot to mention that I recommend the Buzzaround with a master volume because it’s stupid loud. One of the loudest pedals ever. And installing a master will give lots of tones.

18. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

my first suggestion would be the Red Noise Stonebender; in the IG link below, maybe swipe right to listen to that clip first, then swipe back & listen to the first one.

these were both recorded with the fuzz set in its slightly-greater-than-medium bass response.

JVJ, gravy, DBBlues and 15 others like this.
  19. Peps

That was wicked, splatt!

20. Björn S

Björn S Member

Very cool!

DBBlues and splatt like this.