Strictly FUZZ

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by chrismellotron, May 30, 2013.

1. tedm

tedm Member

Settings were fuzz on full, other settings minimizing synth effects, with a bit of vibrato:

JVJ, wrightdude, Peps and 4 others like this.
  2. triviani

triviani Member

Nice! Let us know the differences with the Nkt. I’ve played the first version in big and smaller enclosures, and an oc44 that was a later v8. The v8 had a bit too much gain for my vintage fuzz liking. I prefer the first version in the big box (more sag than the smaller enclosure), such a mean fuzz, love it. But I’ve wanted to try the oc44yj for a long time! Contact me if you ever want to let it go..

XeMeme, Peps and DBBlues like this.
  3. JosephZdyrski

JosephZdyrski Member

I made a low budget fuzz VLOG.... I only have 3 fuzz pedals so I condensed the 3 into the first episode and as I get a new fuzz I’ll make another one.

In the first one look at (basically just Noodle around with)...the:

-Joyo Voodoo Octave
    -Way Huge Swollen Pickle
    - Devi Ever Hyperion

Now originally I had done some jams with the fuzzes for the VLOG too but including all the good material I ended up with would’ve made the video super long. So I used that to make another video. So if you like Jam Band style stuff check this one out. I use the Voodoo Octave in the first Jam and the second one I use the Hyperion and was really feeling that last solo and it’s a great example of how awesome the Hyperion can sound.

JVJ, wrightdude, DBBlues and 2 others like this.
  4. Laservampire

Laservampire Member

5. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

6. shikawkee

shikawkee The One True King

This just arrived yesterday. Just had enough time this morning before getting on a plane to London today. It's pretty great. Serial number 1 of 10 made (I think Spruce Effects has one left):

JVJ, Pano-dilzapp, chv and 12 others like this.
  7. Peps

Peps Fuzzonaut / Fuzzombie / Fuzz Magisterium Bishop Silver Supporting Member

That's the one I asked about in my last post. How fuzzy does it get? And if it's not too much to ask, how would you describe the fuzz? Have a nice flight, Ed!

<Edited to add that the last one sold while I was adding it to the cart. That sucks. >

8. shikawkee

shikawkee The One True King

It sure gets fuzzier than most, if not all, Astro's. This one gets just fuzzy enough I think. Solid territory and cuts pretty dang well. It has an input gain control that when it gets above 2 o'clock is very fuzzy with the fuzz knob above 2 o'clock as well. Of course it can go all the way down to OD territory too. High cut knob controls the top at lower gain. I dig it. Especially since I didn't have an Astro in my collection. I like how it's tuned. Can get very warm if you want it to. Solid.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    DBBlues, PlexiFuzz, friend33 and 3 others like this.
  9. kinvhs

kinvhs Member

In clumsy praise of Harmonic Percolators, this is Les Paul both pickups dimmed > Little Steamer full Roast, Steam 11 o'clock > Neunaber Wet
    No volume knobs were touched.

JVJ, wrightdude, Peps and 15 others like this.
  10. Laservampire

Laservampire Member

Will do soon! I'll have to get out my proper tube amp first.

Unfortunately it seems that the OC44 got damaged in transit as it has a constant static crackle going on, like vinyl surface noise or bacon cooking in the other room. The builder is awesome though and is sending me out a replacement PCB!

Still sounds really damn good though, despite the noise.

DBBlues, shikawkee and chankgeez like this.
  11. mulekicker

mulekicker Member

Get the Fuzztainer. I build em and push em on everyone I know. GREAT circuit. One of my all time faves.

Peps, DBBlues, PlexiFuzz and 3 others like this.
  12. corbetta

corbetta Member

Alright fuzzheads, what’s some cool recommendation on a fuzz that can go from singing sustain to crumbly/textured sort of sounds (not necessarily just with volume knob adjustments on the guitar, but that’s a plus). Especially interested in novel/unusual suspects. Got a Tornita, MiniBone, and 2065 in the arsenal.

DBBlues and shikawkee like this.
  13. Boltagon

Boltagon Member

The EQD Erupter can get you sustain for miles on one end and gated sputter on the other with many shades in between. And the Fuzz is thick!

14. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

PSA: deadendFX now has a Spaceman Spacerocket pcb clone called the "Sprocket".

15. urQuill

urQuill Supporting Member

Gosh even the bit of hiss sounds great. I thought of Shellac, something on EIG. Yes I did. But your own thing, of course.

It’s a terrific fuzz clip, the response of the Steamer is very interesting and good. But I’ll bet that Les Paul sounds fantastic just by itself.

JVJ, Davin Kuntze, DBBlues and 4 others like this.
  16. friend33

friend33 Silver Supporting Member

Nice clip, @kinvhs . I love the Little Steamer - my favorite of the HP variants I’ve played. Everybody does it a little bit different with this odd duck of a circuit. JDM gives you all the just right controls, IMO.

Did you have the diodes on or lifted? (The LS is actually the only one where I’ve found both settings useful. In most, it seems I end up lifting them 90% or more of the time.)

Peps, DBBlues, chankgeez and 5 others like this.
  17. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

I just recently picked up an Echopark F1... only two knobs on the face but there's quite a bit of range. It definitely gets crumbly with the fuzz knob around 8:00 and there's a lot of sustain when you crank it (the attack still has bite and texture at high gain settings). I think past noon on that knob blends in a second GE transistor where before noon is just a single transistor sound.

I really liked the Little Steamer too... and the Land Devices HP-2. The Little Steamer tends to be more crisp and articulate where the HP-2 is a lot warmer. I also preferred the diode lift setting on both.

I'd like to try the JDM Elektrika (MKI/Zonk).

Peps, DBBlues, chankgeez and 4 others like this.
  18. kinvhs

kinvhs Member

Thank you so much. The hiss I really don't mind and it comes from Roast cranked full and pickups on cca 3 - 4. The Les Paul is a fantastic 1K $ Edwards with SH-1n and SH-4, my very first electric guitar. I spent years and moneys looking for a better pickup combination but ended up buying that particular (stock) combination back. Didn't expect there would be such big differences. Made me conclude pups are the most crucial part.
    What is EIG?

Thanks. I always have clipping off. I feel it would neuter the sound.

Today I just got import customs notice of Basic Audio Pirk being detained for taxation. So excited!

JVJ, DBBlues, anxiousmofo and 5 others like this.
  19. songtalk

songtalk Member

Very excited to hear the Pirk!

I'm at the beach and my fuzz collection is looking much more mutated this father's day weekend. There's some sort of glowing green jungle/swamp creature with four knobs from deep in the more isolated parts of West Virginia wreaking havoc here on the Carolina Outer Banks!!!

I will be conducting research and running tests all weekend and will be sure to submit all my findings to the board for review.

;)

(So excited!!!!)

Edit:

While I'm at the beach I'm gonna demo these sweet machines :)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    JVJ, Davin Kuntze, AXXA and 8 others like this.
  20. Custom Deluxe

Custom Deluxe Member

I second this. This is a great pedal and the one knob makes it easy to dial in for the tone you want.

DBBlues and shikawkee like this.