Strictly FUZZ

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by chrismellotron, May 30, 2013.

1. shikawkee

shikawkee The One True King Gold Supporting Member

It sure gets fuzzier than most, if not all, Astro's. This one gets just fuzzy enough I think. Solid territory and cuts pretty dang well. It has an input gain control that when it gets above 2 o'clock is very fuzzy with the fuzz knob above 2 o'clock as well. Of course it can go all the way down to OD territory too. High cut knob controls the top at lower gain. I dig it. Especially since I didn't have an Astro in my collection. I like how it's tuned. Can get very warm if you want it to. Solid.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    DBBlues, PlexiFuzz, friend33 and 3 others like this.
  2. kinvhs

kinvhs Member

In clumsy praise of Harmonic Percolators, this is Les Paul both pickups dimmed > Little Steamer full Roast, Steam 11 o'clock > Neunaber Wet
    No volume knobs were touched.

JVJ, wrightdude, Peps and 15 others like this.
  3. Laservampire

Laservampire Member

Will do soon! I'll have to get out my proper tube amp first.

Unfortunately it seems that the OC44 got damaged in transit as it has a constant static crackle going on, like vinyl surface noise or bacon cooking in the other room. The builder is awesome though and is sending me out a replacement PCB!

Still sounds really damn good though, despite the noise.

DBBlues, shikawkee and chankgeez like this.
  4. mulekicker

mulekicker Member

Get the Fuzztainer. I build em and push em on everyone I know. GREAT circuit. One of my all time faves.

Peps, DBBlues, PlexiFuzz and 3 others like this.
  5. corbetta

corbetta Member

Alright fuzzheads, what’s some cool recommendation on a fuzz that can go from singing sustain to crumbly/textured sort of sounds (not necessarily just with volume knob adjustments on the guitar, but that’s a plus). Especially interested in novel/unusual suspects. Got a Tornita, MiniBone, and 2065 in the arsenal.

DBBlues and shikawkee like this.
  6. Boltagon

Boltagon Member

The EQD Erupter can get you sustain for miles on one end and gated sputter on the other with many shades in between. And the Fuzz is thick!

7. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

PSA: deadendFX now has a Spaceman Spacerocket pcb clone called the "Sprocket".

8. urQuill

urQuill Supporting Member

Gosh even the bit of hiss sounds great. I thought of Shellac, something on EIG. Yes I did. But your own thing, of course.

It’s a terrific fuzz clip, the response of the Steamer is very interesting and good. But I’ll bet that Les Paul sounds fantastic just by itself.

JVJ, Davin Kuntze, DBBlues and 4 others like this.
  9. friend33

friend33 Silver Supporting Member

Nice clip, @kinvhs . I love the Little Steamer - my favorite of the HP variants I’ve played. Everybody does it a little bit different with this odd duck of a circuit. JDM gives you all the just right controls, IMO.

Did you have the diodes on or lifted? (The LS is actually the only one where I’ve found both settings useful. In most, it seems I end up lifting them 90% or more of the time.)

Peps, DBBlues, chankgeez and 5 others like this.
  10. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

I just recently picked up an Echopark F1... only two knobs on the face but there's quite a bit of range. It definitely gets crumbly with the fuzz knob around 8:00 and there's a lot of sustain when you crank it (the attack still has bite and texture at high gain settings). I think past noon on that knob blends in a second GE transistor where before noon is just a single transistor sound.

I really liked the Little Steamer too... and the Land Devices HP-2. The Little Steamer tends to be more crisp and articulate where the HP-2 is a lot warmer. I also preferred the diode lift setting on both.

I'd like to try the JDM Elektrika (MKI/Zonk).

Peps, DBBlues, chankgeez and 4 others like this.
  11. kinvhs

kinvhs Member

Thank you so much. The hiss I really don't mind and it comes from Roast cranked full and pickups on cca 3 - 4. The Les Paul is a fantastic 1K $ Edwards with SH-1n and SH-4, my very first electric guitar. I spent years and moneys looking for a better pickup combination but ended up buying that particular (stock) combination back. Didn't expect there would be such big differences. Made me conclude pups are the most crucial part.
    What is EIG?

Thanks. I always have clipping off. I feel it would neuter the sound.

Today I just got import customs notice of Basic Audio Pirk being detained for taxation. So excited!

JVJ, DBBlues, anxiousmofo and 5 others like this.
  12. songtalk

songtalk Member

Very excited to hear the Pirk!

I'm at the beach and my fuzz collection is looking much more mutated this father's day weekend. There's some sort of glowing green jungle/swamp creature with four knobs from deep in the more isolated parts of West Virginia wreaking havoc here on the Carolina Outer Banks!!!

I will be conducting research and running tests all weekend and will be sure to submit all my findings to the board for review.

;)

(So excited!!!!)

Edit:

While I'm at the beach I'm gonna demo these sweet machines :)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    JVJ, Davin Kuntze, AXXA and 8 others like this.
  13. Custom Deluxe

Custom Deluxe Member

I second this. This is a great pedal and the one knob makes it easy to dial in for the tone you want.

DBBlues and shikawkee like this.
  14. basicaudio

basicaudio Member

Ha! Cool. Sure does drone.
    I ran the circuit into the red
    and was a bit hesitant to go
    into Oscillation but I'm ok
    with it now after hearing that clip.

15. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

Trying to figure out how I ever missed hearing Sungrazer until now. I think I'm in love.

Peps, StratmanSteve, biffoz and 9 others like this.
  16. urQuill

Excellent Italian Greyhound, Shellac’s fourth album. 2007? It’s the sounds you got but also the use of space. I’m always arguing for space in bands and on recordings ... very hard with some players.

... customs notice on a Pirk? Where might you be, roughly? John is awesome with shipments to Canada. Deep fairness. Probably the same for anywhere ... I love him for that, on top of everything else.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    biffoz and DBBlues like this.
  17. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

o_O

DBBlues likes this.
  18. Tom Von Kramm

Tom Von Kramm Vendor

This is awesome.

Peps, XeMeme, shikawkee and 2 others like this.
  19. urQuill

quoting glitches, is what. yup.

20. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

I enthusiastically agree!