Strictly FUZZ

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by chrismellotron, May 30, 2013.

1. Moody Tuner

Moody Tuner Member

That demo didn’t really sound like shellac to me at all: it sounded like a distorted Les Paul. Just my ears.

I didn’t come here to debate those tones though, but to say that I get a good shellac vibe running the Black Spiral through a bridge single coil pickup with the tone knob maxed on the guitar. The Black gives that very cutting high end, that I hear in shellac guitars. The Black allows your picking attack to be defined and doesn’t muffle up your clean tone like other fuzzes do. To me, those are the characteristics: Treble presence, strong guitar attack and likely lower gain dialed up than what our ears perceive on those recordings.

Flatscan, shikawkee, DBBlues and 2 others like this.
  2. fitzo

fitzo Greybeard Silver Supporting Member

summora allora'd be a real nice thang...

DBBlues, friend33, splatt and 4 others like this.
  3. kinvhs

kinvhs Member

Never listened to Shellac before. Again a great new music discovery thanks to SF. I think I first heard HP in it's full glory on Pyramid Electric Co. Also lots of space to enjoy.
    I am in Europe and I have to pay some 30% of different taxes and ****.

I percieve and use Percolator as a distortion more than as a fuzz. With exactly the same characteristics as you describe the Black Spiral. I would just add a big dynamic explodability. Now you got me gasing for Black Spiral.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    lefort_1, DBBlues, JVJ and 6 others like this.
  4. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

5. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

BA Bye-Bias is great for this.

DBBlues, JVJ, jimijimmyjeffy and 9 others like this.
  6. songtalk

songtalk Member

Fuzz Mutant demo!

This fuzz is really beautiful and unlike any other fuzz I've played in many ways. Electrical slithering crumble. Just one setting where I mess with guitar volume and tone and playing dynamics! I use very low output pickups and I find it sounds best when the fuzz really starts to grind and churn which for me tends to happen with the fuzz fairly high. The pallete of tones inside twisting knobs and changing playing dynamics is wild. Another @basicaudio fuzz I think everyone should try!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    DBBlues, JVJ, Jess 1971 and 12 others like this.
  7. XeMeme

XeMeme Silver Supporting Member

:( Got my Dizzy Tone OC44YJ today and it is having issues - the signal is weak when engaged and keeps cutting out. The battery was unclipped upon arrival and I'm guessing it may have damaged something, although I can't see any evidence of damage.

EDIT: I've tried 3 batteries, different chords, and 2 guitars.

2nd EDIT: I went in the back started pressing on the connections and got it working. I would probably still like a professional to take a look at it, but at least I could explore it a bit.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    DBBlues, JVJ and shikawkee like this.
  8. johnetone

johnetone Member

**** man. That stinks.

DBBlues, Peps and shikawkee like this.
  9. urQuill

urQuill Supporting Member

I think the OC44 is a pretty delicate thing. I had a great Java Boost a thousand years ago, but sold it, and was on the hunt for another ... they had either an OC44 or a CV7005 in them, typically, and I found one with an OC44 on Reverb for a pretty fair price, which didn't make sense at first. But it looked funny, the transistor was not sitting on the little pad on the pcb, it was down, and you could see the printing. Usually it's up, on the pad, and you can't see the printing. Turns out, an owner previous to the current seller had most likely bent the tranny down so that the printing on the tranny was visible, it being a selling point and all that. The current seller hadn't had it long, and was letting it go at a really fair price because it was very noisy. The Java Boost is typically a pretty quiet boost - the one I had years ago, I could hardly tell it was on, until, of course, I played something, and then it was AWESOME - so I sent a note to Keeley about it. They told me that it was sitting wrong and had probably been messed with, and the glass inside those old OC44s can easily crack if they are not handled carefully, and if it cracks it can get noisy or work intermittently or quit altogether.

I hope it's a loose connection somewhere other than the transistor, but ... maybe take a look at that? I was able to get the JB sent in for a stop at Keeley on its way to me, and it was cracked. Didn't cost that much, and they managed to find another OC44 for it and ... once again, IT'S AWESOME

so I hope you get your Dizzy Tone working well because no doubt IT'LL BE AWESOME 'cause OC44s are wicked when they work.

(I have an older Swart boost with an OC44, too, and ... can you guess?
    . . . . AWESOME

oh yes yes it is)

DBBlues, XeMeme, Peps and 3 others like this.
  10. shikawkee

shikawkee The One True King Gold Supporting Member

I had an OC44 Dizzy that was glorious (v.4 I think? Or was it v.2??) but sold it in search for the Holy Grail.

Perhaps the grail was within my grasp and didn't recognize it. Perhaps that's what happened with the true grail? Alas, plenty o' fuzz chalice's to peruse in the interim. Life, and fuzz, persists and endures.

Good morn from overcast and damp Old Blighty. Heh.

DBBlues, urQuill, XeMeme and 8 others like this.
  11. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too. Silver Supporting Member

So, an update on this one. It's a göddamn beast!

And that finish, which I took to be purple sparkle, is actually all bubbled and blistered. Like it was forged in the fires of hell. Which is what it sounds like.

12. Lauri Vennonen

Lauri Vennonen Member

I have had my Ronno Bender and Hartman Crystal Valve for sale. A guy wanted to come to try them out. Luckily he didn't offer to buy either one. Bullet dodged.

DBBlues, DaveLizmi, urQuill and 3 others like this.
  13. FokenBusker

FokenBusker Member

Still learning new things with my Shigeharu. After having opened it up and having turned the internal trimpot fuzz gate the whole way up, I can now dime my DOD FX-51 into the front of it. And it cuts out SO CLEAN IT'S INSANE. Diming that trimpot has created a hiss free 2 gain pedal chain of my dreams. The repeats in my delay pedal have never been so clear, and dirty, at the same time (in the best way). OH, DUDE THIS PEDAL.

DBBlues, AXXA, XeMeme and 6 others like this.
  14. Lauri Vennonen

Lauri Vennonen Member

And my incoming Basic Audio Supa mk1 has left Copenhagen. In case you were wondering.

DBBlues, DaveLizmi, adamajah and 8 others like this.
  15. urQuill

I absolutely cannot wait to hear your take, and whatever clip you might make, with that fuzz, Lauri. Really excited you are getting one.

I loved your playing and your ideas in your Fuzz Mutant clip, by the way - didn't celebrate it beyond a simple "like" just because ... I dunno. That fuzz ... I had one and might have one again ... maybe it's too great.

When I had mine, I had a certain player's sounds in my mind and I could not shake them and have a thought of my own - not that my thoughts are all that great or anything, but my playing these days is all about finding my own thoughts, however diminutive they may be.

Really that has nothing to do with the fuzz, does it. I guess it's more that the very distinctive characteristics of the Fuzz Mutant triggers a kind of bias for me and ... I dunno, it's really weird and uncomfortable. Something for me to work on.

I do hear people really doing their own thing with the Mk1 fuzzes - each clip with those fuzzes, they are all different and cool and that's interesting. You can kind of hear the uniqueness of everyone's hands, and their own voices with the Mk1 and Supa Mk1 fuzzes ... love that. I wonder what that's about.

Or maybe I just don't recognize Mark Ronson-esques when I hear them, I dunno :rotflmao

tl;dr ~ can't wait to hear what you'll do with your Supa!

biffoz, DBBlues, JVJ and 6 others like this.
  16. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

Listen to this on repeat to cleanse yourself:

17. urQuill

HA! our DJ genius to the rescue. I think you've called attention to that one before - anyway I remember it. Funny what jumps out for me this time in that clip is the wicked wah playing - just as I'm digging into wahs. You're in everybody's heads, aren't you? Yes you are. How are you doing that?

DBBlues, AXXA, Turnipfarmer and 4 others like this.
  18. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

19. fitzo

fitzo Greybeard Silver Supporting Member

Purple rays, all in your brain...

DBBlues, johnetone, chankgeez and 3 others like this.
  20. Lauri Vennonen

Lauri Vennonen Member

Thank you for your kind words. I also feel like I'm just in the beginning of the search for my own voice in the context of solo guitar improvisations with the looper and all.

Really excited to get my hands on the Supa and see what comes out. Will definately record a clip when I get it. I just got a new Macbook so I can make a lot more hifi recordings in the future.