Strictly FUZZ

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by chrismellotron, May 30, 2013.

1. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Simulation nitty gritty: So, the left bias controls the whole envelope generally (simplifying for the sake of this task, as the right one does have to be pulled back to get a better attack) and the right one specifically adds sustain in this case. It is a fine balance as too much sustain distorts the envelope. My guide is the ADSR trumpet profile, short attack, high decay spike, then medium sustain at a level less than the decay. Release takes care of itself with guitar. So much for the envelope.

A trumpet is a sawtooth shaped waveform which the De Sade has at less compressed settings, I believe.

Most important is to hear the quick amplitude spike, just after the attack; so the sustain amplitude level should not be as high as the initial spike. That makes it more trumpet like.

I could get some sustain balancing those things, more than some so called trumpet fuzz sounds that are staccato. Again, the sustain you want should be relatively quieter than the spike, so don't be greedy regarding sustain amplitude, and success should come easier, lol.

Start with everything cranked. I would get a ballpark with the right bias, then fine tune the envelope with left bias. Then at the end the right bias can add a hair more sustain, once the envelope is established.

Pretty fine level of tuning, and results improve with trumpet like vibrato, playing up the neck a bit, and phrasing choice.

Let the attack remain imperfect, as you need any pedal with an attack control to perfect that. Go for a very fast "swell". Even a volume pedal twitch could do it. Tried my pinky on the strat volume but my pot is noisy and needs service.

Final tip - on my unit the left bias wants to be turned up just a hair more than the right one for this effect. But YMMV.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    Flatscan, DBBlues, kinvhs and 2 others like this.
  2. shikawkee

shikawkee The One True King Gold Supporting Member

Little hand held's are okay. Might need a bit of mastering for professional standards but certainly good enough to post online.

JVJ, Flatscan, fitzo and 1 other person like this.
  3. Lauri Vennonen

Lauri Vennonen Member

They are pretty amazing these days. Just takes a little bit of practise to find a good spot and the right recording level. But for recording solo guitar it's really easy.

JVJ, biffoz, fitzo and 2 others like this.
  4. Pano-dilzapp

Pano-dilzapp Member

Patiently waiting for my D*A*M Drag 'n Fly, get here you basterd !!!

fitzo, adamajah, VooDooClown and 4 others like this.
  5. PSQRCL

PSQRCL Member

Dropping by to let everyone know of some cool fuzz tones we got from the ZVEX Russian Fuzz Factory 7 ( :

Anyone else rocking the ZVEX Russian Fuzz Factory 7 and would like to share some settings?

Plenty more to come so feel free to subscribe to the channel ( :

JVJ, johnetone, Flatscan and 8 others like this.
  6. XeMeme

XeMeme Silver Supporting Member

Room for a blender on there? ;)

I'll see you this upcoming Saturday. Anyone else going to make it out?

wrightdude, DBBlues and shikawkee like this.
  7. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

Picked up a Basic Audio Scarab Deluxe recently from a member here. I’ve had three before, but I guess always moved them on to fund something else or searching for...whatever. These are so versatile and easy to get a killer sound with though, I remember why I keep coming back to having one.

JVJ, Gary Ladd, Flatscan and 14 others like this.
  8. scopa

scopa Member

Is there anything out there, like the Sputnik II from SpaceMan? Thanks

fitzo and DBBlues like this.
  9. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too. Silver Supporting Member

No matter how clean or dirty you run your amp, no matter what you have running before or after it, no matter what guitar you're using or what you use to power it, it just works.

fitzo, VooDooClown, gigsup and 7 others like this.
  10. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

Exactly!

fitzo, DBBlues and shikawkee like this.
  11. chrismellotron

chrismellotron Member

I use a Timmy for this application.

adamajah, DBBlues, kinvhs and 3 others like this.
  12. XeMeme

XeMeme Silver Supporting Member

The closest would be the Sputnik I or I think I've seen one clone of the Sputnik II.

The Sputnik II is an art piece with unusual and rare components. It really is it's own thing.

That said, as a Sputnik II owner, when it comes to my board, I opt for different fuzzes that get me close to my favorite Sputnik II settings because there is so much tweaking involved with the Sputnik II - it is kind of a nightmare in a live setting if you're searching for different sounds.

If I was limited to just one fuzz on my board (aside from a muff of course) it would probably be the Sputnik II. But with the ability to have different fuzzes, I opt for the Jext Telez Dizzy Tone NKT v6, Spaceman Titan II, Civil War Muff, and Caroline Guitar Company Wave Cannon MKII - those cover most of my favorite Sputnik settings.

johnetone, fitzo, Tabor and 4 others like this.
  13. chrismellotron

chrismellotron Member

It's been my main FUZZ for 6 years for that reason. About to use it this July for some gigs. I still love it and it looks 40 years old.

14. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

You know the fuzz that has been stealing all of my attention for the last month or so?

Menatone Pork Bender.

This fuzz breaks most of my fuzz rules (really general preferences more than 'rules' ;)) but I can't stop playing it. It's mean like my favorite benders but doesn't dictate to me as much as most MKIs can....it cleans up with the volume on the guitar without getting weird and pissed off...it just totally works. It's just so easy to make it sound great..

JVJ, JokeSmuggler, Flatscan and 10 others like this.
  15. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Nice. I keep holding off on purchasing a FF7 because what I really want is a Fuzz Probe 7

fitzo, DBBlues, Peps and 1 other person like this.
  16. scopa

scopa Member

good point. And thans for some rec's the DizzyTone and Cannon sound good.

XeMeme, fitzo, DBBlues and 1 other person like this.
  17. scopa

scopa Member

Anyone playing the Shin-El Screaming Sister?

Peps and DBBlues like this.
  18. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

johnetone, biffoz, scopa and 3 others like this.
  19. wrightdude

wrightdude Supporting Member

please feed us a clip... want to hear that one!

Glead to hear you are digging it!
    Yeah man... see you there! :aok

Ha! The board is locked down till after the show! But I could throw the blender in the gig bag in case you wanted to borrow it....

And in case there are any lurkers from the DC area... its Hells Bottom in Takoma Park, Saturday June 29 8:00-11:00 (~$10 cover i believe?)

There WILL be fuzz!!!!! :dude

JVJ, DBBlues, Seance and 9 others like this.
  20. shikawkee

shikawkee The One True King Gold Supporting Member

I dig mine. It's kinda' crazy but cool.
    I had him put a gain control on it so I could dial a little bit out. It works best for me at 50/50 I think.

DBBlues, Peps, 3waytie4last and 3 others like this.