Strictly FUZZ

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by chrismellotron, May 30, 2013.

1. Custom Deluxe

Custom Deluxe Member

Tommy makes great stuff but I'm not sure how is he doing with new orders. I'm definitely keeping an eye in the used market. Now that you mentioned it, I think I remember seeing that pedal listed for sale, I just didn't need a Mk1.5 at the time. Killer stuff, cheers :aok[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it really is. Depending on bias, it nails that Stooges tone and then can go into really great Fuzz Face land the other way. Really versatile pedal.

DBBlues, shikawkee and Peps like this.
  2. friend33

friend33 Silver Supporting Member

My fave of the 1.5’s I’ve had was the Sunbender 1.5. The Sonic VI was also good.

If I had cash floating around and was on a 1.5 quest, I would go for a DAM ‘66 and an older Acid Fuzz that he was building with the SFT337/OC76 transistors.

For TB’s, a DAM Red Rooster would be fun to try. I’ve been through a lot of them and I also do prefer a range knob versus a switch. Personally, I’ve settled on the ARC Gamut 3-knob, which is the best post-fuzz booster out there due to the added gain knob. However, I don’t typically use a TB as a standalone drive if you are going for that.

Tabor, Peps, DBBlues and 5 others like this.
  3. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too. Silver Supporting Member

Gamut 3-knob is SO good.

Tabor, Peps, friend33 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

Matt is one of my favorite builders. I’d love to grab a Lonely Hunter one day

DBBlues, friend33, PlexiFuzz and 2 others like this.
  5. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

well, i dunno, but this Eldritch Blast is kinda freaking outrageous; yeah! a wholly unholy holy-smokes, frazzly, fritzing & instigating texturalisation tool.
    !!!
    ymmv.

DBBlues, wrightdude, Peps and 13 others like this.
  6. urQuill

urQuill Supporting Member

Do you like the Java? I have an older one, with an OC44, and I love it. So you can consider that when I suggest a Swart Atomic Boost, which, while it is a bit less flexible than the Java, I sometimes think it has a purer tone. I don't think I could pick one, I really enjoy them both, but for the simple sweet singing thing that the Rangemaster circuit can do, it does beautifully, and its reaction to the guitar controls is really fun - 2 or 3 on the Strat's volume knob still sounds completely great. The Java is awesome but I don't think it is quite that reactive ... I remember it being better with the guitar controls up a bit, but I'll try again when I'm home next. I also have a Swart amp, and the Swart boost fits the amp exactly as we'd expect. But it's beautiful into my other amps as well ... not the fanciest of options but I think it's a very good one.

7. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

I dig the Atomic Boost =).

[and the Swart Fuzzy Boost with low wattage amps]

DBBlues, XeMeme, urQuill and 2 others like this.
  8. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I really dig the EQD Hoof Fuzz.
    Just my kind of tone!

S.
    j

9. biffoz

biffoz Member

Since I downsized ma board and have no cash, I just wipe my brain, re-voice my preamp and old fuzzies are new again.

Today was a special day for good 'ol Fat Fuzz Factory, Bitquest and Marq Won.

However, that Eldritch almost makes me want to get a job, lol. Waiting for some @splatt clip love from above!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  10. shikawkee

shikawkee The One True King

Wow, that Eldritch is rad and Ian (C/E) does a great job with his demos IMO.
    And it has a Splat switch! <g>

DBBlues, friend33, fitzo and 9 others like this.
  11. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Been wanting one of these for an 'embarrassingly' long time, by which I mean life is short. Finally pulled the trigger, stomped on the switch, pick your metaphor. Every time I hear it, I love it all over again. To me it is thick with personality and can therefore contribute to a musical feeling of some kind.

This is the actual pedal. Notice the phrase, "Catalinbread/Moseley Collaboration." That is key to look for IMHO if you ever buy one, as that one to me sounds more authentic and characterful than their earlier non-Moseley effort, also called "Fuzzrite", and looking almost identical. I hope I'm not mistating that. Used and slightly scuffed as pictured, to maximize the possiblity of Howard and his team having tuned it.

This and the El Capistan are going to hook up. Morriconishness Galore!

[​IMG]

JVJ, AXXA, DBBlues and 13 others like this.
  12. chrismellotron

chrismellotron Member

I love the Hoof. You can cover so much Muff territory with it. Sounds great in a live mix.

Peps, TNJ, DBBlues and 1 other person like this.
  13. chrismellotron

chrismellotron Member

That's awesome. Love Spaghetti Western FUZZ. How's the output on this bad boy?

Peps, DBBlues and shikawkee like this.
  14. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

I know rite? Waiting on the mailwoman still...

Output reputed better than old units but will see...

Some dont like this kind of fuzz due to "harshness", and many builders do things to tame or domesticate them.

But I love em!

chrismellotron, DBBlues and shikawkee like this.
  15. Zounds Perspex

Zounds Perspex Silver Supporting Member

most excellent....actually had Matt start a Rangemaster for me last week!

songtalk, friend33, Echoplexi and 3 others like this.
  16. CJReaper

CJReaper Member

Thanks to Pete Thorn’s recent “The Secret to Glassy Clean Tones” video I am now going down the Fuzz rabbit hole (More “traditional” Fender Strats too, and I’m a pointy guitar, high-output humbucker old-school Metal guy, damn you Thorn!!!). I just started reading this thread (currently on page 16, I have a long way to go) and it’s a great resource!

I am planning on starting my “possible” addiction with an EHX Triangle reissue, MXR 108 Classic Fuzz and maybe a Keeley Fuzz Bender. I want to keep it affordable just in case it turns out I’m not a Fuzz guy after all.

That being said, does anyone know if the Keeley Fuzz Bender is based on the Tone Bender or is it it’s own thing?

JVJ, urQuill, DBBlues and 6 others like this.
  17. johnetone

johnetone Member

Maybe we should start a Strictly Fuzz Book Club? Read the thread a thousand posts at a time and discuss?

Also timelines of various contributors (aliases included) would be an interesting chart.

JVJ, DaveLizmi, urQuill and 10 others like this.
  18. Peps

Peps Fuzzonaut / Fuzzombie / Fuzz Magisterium Bishop Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, seems like my boat is floating towards BEC, at least for the Rangemaster. I really like Matt's take with 3 knobs (I also like the idea of more control), plus everything he makes sounds killer. Reason why I'm also considering his take on the Mk1.5 (vox version, that is) cause it's raspier and overall more aggressive. However, I have a custom MkI and MkII from James and they are incredible, so asking for a Mk1.5 seems like the right choice. Since Matt's has a vox version, it would be a smart choice to ask James to tune it Sola Sound style to cover two different Mk1.5 sounds :)

I had an Analogman Mk1.5 and I remember it was good, I'm definitely considering it but for the same price I can get an Acid Fuzz. No experience with that one but everything I hear and read is good. A hundie more and I'm in Blackstrap landscape. $200-$300 hundie more and I'm at DAMville. I'm always on the lookout for a well priced DAM, tho. The Red Rooster is killer, no doubt, but extra versatility is a must.

IIRC, you commented not too long ago about the Gamut, and I've been looking for one at good price since then. I remember seeing them for less that $150, now, there is only one listed and it's for $175. If I find one priced well, I'm definitely getting one despite my final choice.

I also have the OC44 that I got almost 10 years ago, and I really like the java. But I completely agree with you, it lacks reaction. I have no experience with the Swart boost but I have no doubt it's killer just like the amps. However, I don't seem to find one in the used market. Although I would prefer one with more controls, I'm gonna be on the lookout for one at a good price/

Speaking of Blackstrap.... Matt sent this Zonk on Saturday and it landed yesterday. Only had like 20 minutes with it, and all I can say is.... Holy shitzit Yo! It lacks the bass of the MkI but who cares cause it's a beast of a fuzz. When cranked, the fuzz is just so full and round and smooth and piercing and just ****!ng beautiful. Very quick attack on the note with clear definition and no 'sag' to the decay. It also has a lot of sustain, so it preserves the dynamics and fast notes runs better.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  19. Lauri Vennonen

Lauri Vennonen Member

I think you should get one germanium fuzz face to get the clean up thing properly. Dunlop is an affordable option if you are buying new.

20. Peps

Peps Fuzzonaut / Fuzzombie / Fuzz Magisterium Bishop Gold Supporting Member

The fuzz bender is not a straight tone bender clone per se, but Robert borrowed some things from it, and then added his own thing. The pedal is a killer fuzz and underrated I believe, it can go from sharp to filthy fat thick fuzz. Tons of headroom, aggressive, and destroys with humbuckers and SC. Robert added 20dB of bass and 20dB of treble so you have a wide spectrum of fuzz shades, from classic to modern. And well priced.

The MXR 108 is a great fuzz, at some settings, it reminds me of the Analogman BC108 but woofier. It's versatile, plays well with wah and it has great cleanup. Very similar to the Dunlop JH2, but the MXR has two extra treble rolloff capacitors that aren't in a normal FF circuit. A fuzz face is a great fuzz to start with, but it can be tricky finding the right one for your setup; they can be too bassy, or too dark, or too compressed, and so on.

And the triangle muff is a classic and a must, and it sounds superb. I think you're on the right track for becoming a fuzzombie. I would just add a fuzz factory and call it day (at least for a while :)) Let's us know what you decide, and welcome to the fuzzhood, where it never f***ing ends :dude

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    JVJ, Jet Age Eric, AXXA and 9 others like this.