Strictly FUZZ

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by chrismellotron, May 30, 2013.

1. JWLee

JWLee Supporting Member

New Fuzz incoming...

2. Phineas Ball

Phineas Ball Fuzz Silver Supporting Member

OK! Looking forward to the reveal. I do fear my own Mk 1 horizon remains n+1.

Killer.

Don't know about the Marqui, but for a Marquis, I'd pay a couple hundee knowing how good it is. I haven't played a De Sad... make that, De Sade... which is all the rage. What do you propose to replace the Marquis with?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2019
    DBBlues, Peps, Lung plunger and 4 others like this.
  3. Phineas Ball

Phineas Ball Fuzz Silver Supporting Member

Had a weird trouble-shoot this evening, which may be of some value to my fellow fuzz mavens. I rearranged my home board specifically to add a booster to it*, specifically because I'm looping into a modest-headroom amp (pick your basic Tweed/Brown Fender type thing) and when I go to the Electric Eye, I needed more bang to top existing loops.

But this thought was nagging in the back of my head, someone in this very thread waxing excited about how loud Mk 1s are...

So I went investigating. And sure enough, my clean tone was waaaayyyyy sparklier plugging into the last pedal (a delay) than it was going through the whole shebang. Long story short, I hooked up a buffer after my fuzz section and the EE EXPLODED through the chain into the amp. Whoa! Super duper loud. As were the other fuzzes at the front (a Dizzy Tone and a Reg 8). So naturally I tried going straight from the EE into the amp, and sho 'nuff, all the explosive explosiveness of the EE was right there. After a bunch of if/then logic, I traced the problem to one of my current favorite pedals (dang it!): the MWFX Judder. Something in its input impedance sucks tone like a vampire on a Victorian lady's neck. The pedal is not true bypass and is always "listening," so if a cable's running through it, it's in the chain. The buffer in front of the Judder restores 100% of the volume and 90% of the tone, but dang it, that 10% lost is gonna nag my mind.

Anyway, yeah, so, un-neutered, Mk 1s are loud. :D

*an Atlas, as it turns out, because it's prettier on the home board than a Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso, even though they sound basically identical. Now having trouble-shot the real problem, I don't think I need it.

DBBlues, adamajah, songtalk and 7 others like this.
  4. Lung plunger

Lung plunger Member

I'm not too sure just yet. It's sounds great, but I'm needing more bottom end in my life.

DBBlues and shikawkee like this.
  5. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

as far as MkI’s go:
    DeSade w/the extra bass switch?
    MarqWon w/its switch in leftmost position?
    to some “sultry male” degree, maybe a Ghost 2065? smoooth low-end on mine, butt-ressed by solid low-mids.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    DBBlues, adamajah, kinvhs and 7 others like this.
  6. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Post delete and warnings issued
    Spamming your reverb ad in the discussion area is well, spam

7. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

Saw that, looks sweet!

JWLee, DBBlues and splatt like this.
  8. Lung plunger

Lung plunger Member

Solid recommendation there. Thanks dude.

I'm wondering if the Mklll and MklV would be more up my alley. Hello 'ol rabbit hole... nice to see ya'gain... It's been a long time your just as lovely. I want a 'bender with Neil Diamonds vocal bottom end. Not too deep, just sultry.

DBBlues and Lauri Vennonen like this.
  9. Peps

Peps Fuzzonaut / Fuzzombie / Fuzz Magisterium Bishop Gold Supporting Member

Not if you want more bottom end in your life

DBBlues, kinvhs and Lung plunger like this.
  10. Lung plunger

Lung plunger Member

In the end I'll probably just end up with a muff. *or a mk1.5

Peps and DBBlues like this.
  11. splatt

revisit my post, as i’d addended it.

DBBlues and Lung plunger like this.
  12. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

13. splatt

if that’s the case — that the MkI isn’t your thing, but you dig some of the sting & texture of ‘benders w/the butt-weight & heft of some Big Muffs — i’d still suggest trying a RedNoise Stonebender, a JAM Eureka or a Basic Audio Alter Destiny.

14. hubberjub

hubberjub Silver Supporting Member

Just to clarify, you suspended a user for posting a link to a Reverb page that they were asked to share?

15. big mike

I won't discuss the specifics of anyone's warning. We don't do that. I can give you the general rule rundown.
    I never stated someone was 'suspended' just that a warning was issued.

Posting a reverb link is not acceptable. Any kind of spam is not acceptable in discussion areas.
    PM would've been acceptable. This is NOT a new rule.

Also it's rare anyone is ever suspended for a single warning. there would have to be multiple rule infractions.
    Not stating what/if whatever anyone specifically has, just pointing out the way it works.

but from the rules everyone agreed to in order to participate here:

"No Spam. Posts for buying, trading or selling are only allowed in the emporiums. You must be a Supporting Member to post ads in our emporiums. Soliciting members via unsolicited Private Message or email is spam. Spam in signatures is still spam. If it's not music gear, it's spam. "Price check" posts that look too much like an ad will be deleted and treated as spam."

Mistakes happen, and we understand that. Please be aware and also not bait fellow posters into breaking rules.

Hope that clarifies your question. Any further query I would be happy to address via private message. No warning is ever personal. If it was, I (or any other mod) would refer to another moderator.'

Edit to say...frankly I dislike giving warnings/suspensions at all. I'd prefer people respect the rules and not put us in the position to act. We don't troll for things to moderate, nor do we view/approve every post. Things are reported by membership.

johnetone likes this.
  16. johnetone

johnetone Member

@big mike this post was specifically asking for the link. It might still be against the rules. But I wouldn’t say @shikawkee was spamming.

Edit: what I would say and your rules are obviously two different things. Thanks for clarifying.

mydogisarobot and hubberjub like this.
  17. big mike

Not going to argue further. Please see above post.
    I do not like giving out warnings. Period.

Edit: I don't make the rules FYI.

18. Braunzo

Braunzo Member

19. big mike

I will also say I understand the 'club thread' vibe is easier to forget it's not ok to mention things for sale.
    I get it. It's natural. You want to share with your 'club buds'. But it's still the rules.

Not fun for me either.

20. CJReaper

CJReaper Member

The Keeley Fuzz Bender has landed (One of the nice things about working in shipping & receiving is that you get your stuff right away when it arrives.) Will be giving it a test run later tonight, I'm sure it will sound great but I can say for sure it looks awesome, I really like the white/orange graphics, very nice looking pedal. The Carcosa should be here Friday...

I'm on "Stay-cation" next week so in addition to exploring the world of Fuzz with those two pedals I'll also be building a couple of pedal boards (Finishing up the Dingbat Medium and re-purposing the V1 Pedal Train Jr) and starting a couple of guitar restoration projects as well. Man, G.A.S. is a real problem when you have Peter Pan Syndrome... ;)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019