Strictly FUZZ

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by chrismellotron, May 30, 2013.

1. mulekicker

mulekicker Member

Just built myself a 2 in 1 with a Marshall Supa Fuzz (mkI version) and a Dizzy Tone. This is the 1st mkI I've truly gotten biased just right. I had to use some incredibly leaky Japanese trannies to nail it. I can build Dizzys and Buzzarounds and mkIII's all day but the mkI is a bitch. It sounds glorious though and shockingly they sound pretty rad together.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    JVJ, DBBlues, anxiousmofo and 9 others like this.
  2. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

Got it; thanks! I have the BA Orpheum and love it silly. I did think this was some second version, and was curious about it.

DBBlues, AXXA and basicaudio like this.
  3. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

Gotcha. Mine is a custom wedge with no writing on top, thus my confusion.

DBBlues, basicaudio and AXXA like this.
  4. Custom Deluxe

Custom Deluxe Member

If looking for a one knob fuzz, totally recommend the EQD Eruptor. Love it!

DBBlues and AXXA like this.
  5. Maggot

Maggot Member

I've had a couple of Meathead (clone) variations, and I haven't gotten along with any of the ones that actually have one knob. I've always been curious about the Colorsound because in demos it always seemed like it has more mids, less gain, and a more ripping sound than the Meatheads. I do have a 3-knob Meathead Deluxe clone in my top 5 fuzzes, and I do use it with the gain pinned. I think that the original one-knob Colorsound is a 90s grunge-era design that's based on a silicon FF, as @mulekicker said. So it's a modern interpretation itself.

DBBlues and AXXA like this.
  6. ElectricWarrior

ElectricWarrior Member

The circuit is based on the 1960ies Jennings Fuzz. It's just slightly tweaked to make it loud enough. The original had a volume limiting resistor, but even without it could hardly reach unity gain. The Colorsound version fixes this problem.

Even though it's a circuit that dates to the 1960ies it can sound rather modern..

DBBlues, AXXA, Peps and 4 others like this.
  7. Melj

Melj Member

Joe Gore Porkolator and Screech arrived in the mail today (along with a Purr...). The Screech is great - octave everywhere, quite restrained fuzz on board but combined it works really well, the octave effect comes through pretty much all over the neck and regardless of pickup...the Porkolator though is *really* fantastic. Toothy, edgy grind with a powerful fast attack. It needs an amp already slightly pushed, I think, but in the right scenario it rips. It’s one of the sounds I had in my head made real.

JVJ, DBBlues, johnetone and 10 others like this.
  8. misa

misa Silver Supporting Member

I think you'd be hard pressed to find something better than a D*A*M built Sola Sound MkII or MkIV.

There are some MkIV's ready to buy straight from Macari's in London:
    https://reverb.com/item/23744415-sola-sound-the-evil-son-of-the-green-bastard-tone-bender
    https://reverb.com/item/13355482-sola-sound-tone-bender-mkiv-built-by-d-a-m

Their MkII is excellent as well, but I'm not seeing any up for sale. You could just wait for the right moment with a wad of cash. Big enclosures, fairly rare, a bit pricey...they kind of make a good celebratory gift to oneself worth keeping and remembering (plus they sound great).

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    DBBlues, Lung plunger and DaveLizmi like this.
  9. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

I was looking at the more recent DAM version, in the big blue box. I was worried it wouldn’t be loud enough, because I like loud fuzz! Does that version have decent output?

DBBlues likes this.
  10. JWLee

JWLee Supporting Member

Does anybody have an experience with Blackstrap Electric co. pedals?
    They does look nice (using vintage parts, caps etc...)but the price range is almost up to some of the DAM or Jerms pedals.
    I don't know if they are well known builder,,

DBBlues likes this.
  11. Sloppyslim

Sloppyslim Member

after figuring out how to use an exp pedal with my kingmaker, I'm done buying dirt.
    I'll probably keep most of the 50 i already have but there no point in buying more. it's that good

a shame too, I was still drooling over a Sputnik II, Rotobone, and Candiru ... it is expensive hanging out here

JVJ, DBBlues, wrightdude and 5 others like this.
  12. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

Whoa! That's crazy talk.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the Kingmaker, but it doesn't come close to being able to pull off the three you mention. Well, it might be able to get sort of close to the Candiru, but the Sputnik or Rotobone? No way.

13. Sloppyslim

Sloppyslim Member

i'm not saying the kingmaker can cover those three, but that's ok, I'm not buyin a Lambo, Ferrari, or Pagani either....

14. fitzo

fitzo Greybeard Silver Supporting Member

With my Kingmaker hooked up to the desktop editor full time, it is a wonderful playground that never leaves my effects array. The other 3 fuzz slots get changed out nearly daily.

I hope to slow down buying fuzzes one of these days, or perhaps even break the habit as you have done. But, today is not that day. :)

Enjoy that Kingmaker and its bazillion possibilities!

JVJ, DBBlues, Sloppyslim and 2 others like this.
  15. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

just added a Reflex to my setup today. Excited to try it with the Kingmaker.

DBBlues and fitzo like this.
  16. jnam

jnam Supporting Member

Just received this Fuzz War v1 (7-gainstage) tonight, and i've never seen another red one before.
    Does anyone have any knowledge about the history of these? Was it just a different spraypaint color, or are there
    further differences from the Fuzz War v1?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JVJ, friend33, DBBlues and 12 others like this.
  17. fitzo

fitzo Greybeard Silver Supporting Member

Two nights ago I mentioned to my wife that there were only 3 Reflexes left on Reverb, and if I was going to get one it should be now.

Then, today, your posts about its versatility, or lack thereof because of the 50k pedal, gave me a serious case of hesitation.

I hope you’ll consider posting here or the other thread how satisfied or not you find yourself with what it does for creativity with SA pedals. Thanks!

DBBlues and anxiousmofo like this.
  18. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

No idea about the red, but that’s awesome! What do you mean ‘7 gainstage’?

DBBlues likes this.
  19. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

Yep, excellent builder and great customer service in my experience

DBBlues, JWLee, Lung plunger and 2 others like this.
  20. Peps

Peps Fuzzonaut / Fuzzombie / Fuzz Magisterium Bishop Silver Supporting Member

Fuzz war is based around a Supa Tonebender, which is a ram's head without the first clipping diode plus a few changes. V1 has 7 transistors while V2 has 4 and is a modded muff. V1 and V2 sound almost identical to my ears, but I feel like the circuit was "cleaned up" in V2, and it has a lower noise floor and a bit more volume on tap.
    They’re among the best fuzzes that money can buy. Vintage recreations, amp grade components, NOS transistors, etc. He is definitely among the best fuzz builders and one of the best customer services in the biz.

Bill Lumberg, JVJ, DBBlues and 12 others like this.