JDM Little Steamer (harmonic perc)
Leona V2
Jext Buzz Tone
Jext White
Broadcast
GE Bye Bias, Square Wave, Alter Destiny
Regulus 8 can do some cool things with guitar volume rolled off

$0.02 more:

One Ring/Fuzz to rule the live board - really, almost any depending on the rig and music style, TBH...but for me, maybe:
Regulus 8
Rotobone
Sputnik
Black Rose/Spiral
Sunbender IV

Last edited:

Johannes Passion

Silver Supporting Member
$0.02

Underfuzz:
Black Rose/Spiral
Rotobone/Bones
JDM Little Steamer (harmonic perc)
Leona V2
Jext Buzzin’ Sound
Jext White
Broadcast
GE Bye Bias, Square Wave, Alter Destiny
Regulus 8 can do some cool things with guitar volume rolled off

$0.02 more:

One Ring/Fuzz to rule the live board - really, almost any depending on the rig and music style, TBH...but for me, maybe:
Regulus 8
Rotobone
Sputnik
Black Rose/Spiral
Sunbender IV

Thanks @friend33 much appreciated. I came to think that maybe underfuzz means different things to different people. I presumed it is something between an overdrive and a fuzz. Closer to amp-like gain but with a fuzzy attack that you can't get from a distortion, stacked overdrives or/and a hi-gain amp. But it seems, to me at least, that there is another kind of sound, an underfuzz that is not amp-like but works better with less gain than many "real" fuzzes. My experience is that fuzz faces for instance sound kind of weak with the gain turned down.

kinvhs

Thanks @friend33 My experience is that fuzz faces for instance sound kind of weak with the gain turned down.

Yes, but only with their gain down. If I leave my Sunface with gain almost max and turn vol (and tone) on guitar down, then compensate with amp, it stays strong. But I have super hi gain RCA and still, with guitar down, I get what I'd call cleanup.

Last edited:

Johannes Passion

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, but only with their gain down. If I leave my Sunface with gain almost max and turn vol (and tone) on guitar down (then compensate with amp) it stays strong.

That's true but to me a fuzz face with guitar volume sounds pretty much like an overdrive on top of a dirty amp. Btw, I usually set my silicon fuzz face vol and gain at three o'clock.

kinvhs

That's true but to me a fuzz face with guitar volume sounds pretty much like an overdrive on top of a dirty amp. Btw, I usually set my silicon fuzz face vol and gain at three o'clock.

I set my Sunface at 4:25 o'clock to retain character even with low guitar volume. But yes, an enhancement on top of a dirty amp. Sometimes for gnarly and chewie.

Last edited:

friend33

Gold Supporting Member

I set my Sunface at 4:25 o'clock to retain character even with low guitar volume. But yes, an enhancement on top of a dirty amp. Sometimes for gnarly and chewie.

Not sure about the exact reason, but Ge Fuzz Faces definitely like the pedal gain cranked full up. Silicon variants tend to sound better with the gain on the pedal dialed back a bit from max. And yes, both into a slightly dirty amp. :cool: Mk 1.5’s seem to have more flexibility with the gain knob, can sound good/different at a variety of levels.

Johannes Passion

Silver Supporting Member
Not sure about the exact reason, but Ge Fuzz Faces definitely like the pedal gain cranked full up. Silicon variants tend to sound better with the gain on the pedal dialed back a bit from max. And yes, both into a slightly dirty amp. :cool: Mk 1.5’s seem to have more flexibility with the gain knob, can sound good/different at a variety of levels.
I've been thinking about a mk1.5 for some time now. Manlay Sounds makes a really cool looking and sounding one, what are your favourite?

Phineas Ball

Fuzz
Gold Supporting Member
I am now and forever more One Who Has Seen King Crimson, tonight at the Greek in LA. All in all quite an enjoyable show. I would have specced a different set, but then, I only own three of their albums so I'm not qualified to spec their set. Me and practically everyone sitting near me was hankering for "Fracture" to close, but alas, no...

There are contributors here who have helped build this listener's reference points for angular, diminished, odd-timed composition, and for that I thank you.

Whoever the three drummers are, wow.

No amps on stage. Are they running modelers, or cabinets under the riser?

Speaking of drummers, Danny Carey was seated not far from me. I don't usually go for the approach, but he was receiving and how could I not thank him for that mind blowing show at Glen Helen a couple of years ago?

Unrelated FUZZ content: This 2019 PigDog Electric Eye has held the center of my FUZZ Venn diagram for months now.

Reverend Paul

Can anyone tell me if the BA Fuzz Mutant is strictly Ge or Si. Or a hybrid of the 2?
I really love what I hear but I have always had a hit or miss relationship with Ge with my setup so I’m not sure if I wanna take the chance since I can’t try before I buy. I guess I could always put it in a loop. Not that I have tried this but I’m assuming this would work. Can anyone of you Fuzz experts attest to this possible solution?
Thanks

basicaudio

Can anyone tell me if the BA Fuzz Mutant is strictly Ge or Si. Or a hybrid of the 2?
I really love what I hear but I have always had a hit or miss relationship with Ge with my setup so I’m not sure if I wanna take the chance since I can’t try before I buy. I guess I could always put it in a loop. Not that I have tried this but I’m assuming this would work. Can anyone of you Fuzz experts attest to this possible solution?
Thanks

The Fuzz Mutant is Silicon.

Squatch57

Car>Zoom

6Evgnvp.jpg

anxiousmofo

Thanks

The last thing in the world you want to do is not buy the Fuzz Mutant.

XeMeme

Thanks
A cheaper and potentially better solution would be putting your Ge Fuzz very first in your chain (which is debate-ably the classic spot for a Ge Fuzz).

I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say that you most likely have a buffered bypass (perhaps a compressor, tuner, wah, phaser, whammy, etc.) or "always on pedal" (like a boost or preamp) at some point before you would place your Ge Fuzz.

Of course, there are so many other variables at play it could be a number of things (the pick-ups you use, the amp or other effects the fuzz is running into, etc.) including that you may not have liked whatever fuzz you tried in the past.

Generally speaking, Silicone Fuzzes are more forgiving about placement in a chain, are less temperamental (not as sensitive to temperature), and are usually associated with smoother woolly fuzz sounds. My go-to fuzz, a Big Muff, uses Silicone... Silicone is the gateway transistor to the Fuzz world but could be all you need/want.

And I have a Fuzz Mutant and it is killer! It can do wall of sound like a muff, but I like the Fuzz Mutant more for playing lead and experimental parts.... it is an exotic yet comfortable fuzz for me.... like a childhood friend that moved far away that you get together with every couple of years.

Jess 1971

Silver Supporting Member
And I have a Fuzz Mutant and it is killer! It can do wall of sound like a muff, but I like the Fuzz Mutant more for playing lead and experimental parts.... it is an exotic yet comfortable fuzz for me.... like a childhood friend that moved far away that you get together with every couple of years.
I've had my Fuzz Mutant listed in the emporium and on Reverb for a few weeks now, but reading this has inspired me to give it another chance, as perhaps I was too quick to judge. I'm going to pull down my ad. Thanks for showing me the light.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom