Strictly FUZZ

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by chrismellotron, May 30, 2013.

1. XeMeme

XeMeme Member

I've owned a lot of muffs over the years and they've ranged all over the place in terms of price, features, and special sauce - my absolute favorite is the Chicago Stompworks Civil War Muff. A quick disclaimer though, while it is in the same sonic territory as my other Civil War inspired muffs, it does sound a bit different and I don't believe it to be all that faithful to the original.

Hopefully that helps you decide whether or not to pull the trigger on the Ram's Head clone.

what? and Flatscan like this.
  2. adamajah

adamajah Supporting Member

Same to you, fuzzbreaux! Now where are the other 90% of your fuzzes?
    d-:

junu, johnetone, friend33 and 7 others like this.
  3. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

I think they feel very similar. The big CC seems a little more open and direct. Maybe sort of like how you might think of a single ended amp vs a push pull (with the CC2 being the push-pull in this scenario) but I don't think the feel is hugely different; the big box might just feel a little more immediate or something and has a slight bit more definition and clarity with the CC2 giving a little fatter sound (could just be different transistors and parts tolerance etc).

The other switch reduces the input gain, yeah... Dave Fox said it's like turning that internal trimmer on the big box one about 1/3 of the way down from max. It's a simple mod to adjust how drastic the input gain reduction is should you want even lower gain sounds out of that toggle.

johnetone likes this.
  4. Jhuttyhut

Jhuttyhut Member

ww shall see I pulled the trigger on it!!!

5. friend33

friend33 Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, that’s the most Wyllie’s I’ve seen together in a long time. You’ve been holding out on us, @rhinocaster ! ;)

XeMeme, Peps, VooDooClown and 5 others like this.
  6. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Hahaha! The key to getting more Wyllie is to avoid talking about Wyllie! It's pretty much dried up...:(

7. Lung plunger

Lung plunger Member

I'm in a predicament. For xmas, do I get some more fuzz or trade in my ac15 plus cash for a princeton or deluxe reverb?

I've played vox forever, so I'm stuck on the greener pastures thing.

8. 7thString

7thString Member

The Earthquaker Fuzz Master General is the best 'clone' IMHO. I actually prefer it because the tone knob sweeps between the scooped and mid heavy modes of the original - making the pedal a lot more useable in a mix.

BOSS FZ-2 is also killer and very similar.

9. friend33

friend33 Silver Supporting Member

Vox + more fuzz :beer

Doesn’t get better/greener than that...:cool::cool::cool:

Peps, VooDooClown and Lung plunger like this.
  10. Laservampire

Laservampire Member

So, the little Blackstrap Electrik Mk1 Tonebender is absolutely killer.

OC75 and 2G374’s, in a 125B enclosure. This is the only Mk1 I’ve ever played that has legit volume knob cleanup.

The attack knob goes from unstable low gain (transistor noise, no gating) to full gain and saturation around 1 o clock, after that the gating kicks in.

Anywhere before the gating point you can roll back the volume on the guitar to clean up a bit so can get all of the low gain Mk1 sounds without even touching the pedal, as long as you’re at the sweet spot.

The only downside is the Carling switch was faulty, not Matt’s fault at all but he’s making it right.

It’s entirely good enough to kick the jerms Mk1 off my board, at least for a while:

[​IMG]

Peps, Echoplexi, adamajah and 8 others like this.
  11. rhinocaster

The Wyllie stuff is the most special to me....Glenn was such an unbelievably original fellow. I tend to buy them on the rare occasion I seen them but it's down to less than 1 each year. I used to have about 5 or 6 more (including a pre standard case Moonrock) but sold them to a friend when I always thought I could get more.....and he's too smart to sell them back!

Peps, friend33, ericb and 3 others like this.
  12. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

13. songtalk

songtalk Member

I have a Moonrock and I'm borrowing a later Rising Sun from my uncle and they are incredible. The Rising Sun is the best Superfuzz I've ever played and I'm heartbroken it's not actually mine. LOL

Peps, friend33, ericb and 3 others like this.
  14. rhinocaster

I hear you! I miss the ones I've sold....The Rising Sun is certainly one that is a 'must have' Wyllie I think. If I could only have one it would have to be a Moonrock as I think of that one as THE Wyllie but they're all so cool!

Below are two of the unusual ones I had. And original Moonrock that feels like it's carved out of lead...it's more aggressive in any way than the other Moonrocks I've owned as well. The Fuzzmite has a stacked knob set (level and tone if I recall) as well as accepting AC....I've never seen another Wyllie that could runn off a wall wart...I believe that it's all original.

[​IMG]

johnetone, Peps, friend33 and 6 others like this.
  15. Lauri Vennonen

Lauri Vennonen Member

Hi guys, what are the best affordable Prescription Electronics Experience and COB clones out there? I haven't had an octave fuzz for awhile and after a little research these two were the ones that got my attention. Unfortunately I don't have 500 bucks to spend on one of them, so are there any good alternatives? EQD Tentacles sounded pretty promising.

Peps and Flatscan like this.
  16. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

The Super Electric COB clone (i.e., the "Octaver") is awesome and highly affordable. Jimmy seems like a very nice fellow during my limited interactions with him.

17. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

Tentacles is nice. Pretty sure it's a Green Ringer variant though. I like the Chicago Stompworks Octave Up a little bit better and it's a lot cheaper too.

If you don't need/want the swell mode of the Experience, the Basic Audio Foxton sounds great. I also really like the COB clone John built me.

JVJ, biffoz, adamajah and 2 others like this.
  18. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

I have a small handful of octave fuzzes, and the one I use most is the BA Super Fuzz. The BA Foxton and the Source Audio Kingmaker are also worth a mention, but the Super Fuzz is just… well… super.

wrightdude, JVJ, friend33 and 4 others like this.
  19. CoastalRyan

CoastalRyan Supporting Member

I purchased one of these off Reverb and really like it.

“Handwired Prescription Electronics Experience Clone”

Sellers name is Harmon Custom.

20. Lauri Vennonen

Lauri Vennonen Member

That's great to hear, I've had his Bloomin Rose and it was top notch Fuzz Face, just not perfect for my setup. He is also perfectly located in Ireland so no custom taxes.

That makes sense it being without any controls, I guess I misunderstood some reference along the way. Foxton could be an alternative but a bit pricey to order from here.

VooDooClown, chankgeez and Flatscan like this.