Strictly FUZZ

cbm

Silver Supporting Member
Hi guys, what are the best affordable Prescription Electronics Experience and COB clones out there? I haven't had an octave fuzz for awhile and after a little research these two were the ones that got my attention. Unfortunately I don't have 500 bucks to spend on one of them, so are there any good alternatives? EQD Tentacles sounded pretty promising.
I have a small handful of octave fuzzes, and the one I use most is the BA Super Fuzz. The BA Foxton and the Source Audio Kingmaker are also worth a mention, but the Super Fuzz is just… well… super.

CoastalRyan

Hi guys, what are the best affordable Prescription Electronics Experience and COB clones out there? I haven't had an octave fuzz for awhile and after a little research these two were the ones that got my attention. Unfortunately I don't have 500 bucks to spend on one of them, so are there any good alternatives? EQD Tentacles sounded pretty promising.
I purchased one of these off Reverb and really like it.

“Handwired Prescription Electronics Experience Clone”

Sellers name is Harmon Custom.

The Super Electric COB clone (i.e., the "Octaver") is awesome and highly affordable. Jimmy seems like a very nice fellow during my limited interactions with him.
That's great to hear, I've had his Bloomin Rose and it was top notch Fuzz Face, just not perfect for my setup. He is also perfectly located in Ireland so no custom taxes.

Tentacles is nice. Pretty sure it's a Green Ringer variant though. I like the Chicago Stompworks Octave Up a little bit better and it's a lot cheaper too.

If you don't need/want the swell mode of the Experience, the Basic Audio Foxton sounds great. I also really like the COB clone John built me.
That makes sense it being without any controls, I guess I misunderstood some reference along the way. Foxton could be an alternative but a bit pricey to order from here.

I have a small handful of octave fuzzes, and the one I use most is the BA Super Fuzz. The BA Foxton and the Source Audio Kingmaker are also worth a mention, but the Super Fuzz is just… well… super.
I watched the JHS video on octave fuzzes and the Doyle Bramhall II's Reverb video and my Foxx/Prescription thing kind of caught my attention the most. I'm sure the Super Fuzz can do a lot more than what was in the JHS video, I just thought I would eatch it and pick my favorite and see where that takes me.

I purchased one of these off Reverb and really like it.

“Handwired Prescription Electronics Experience Clone”

Sellers name is Harmon Custom.
I'll check that one out as well, thank you very much.

Foxx Tone Machine is the Experience without the swell.

There is lots of clones of it. I'm interested in trying a Orange Fur Coat Octave Fuzz.

I have a Experience built by Quinn. It allows me to use the swell without the octave. Other than that it sounds like my Prescription Electronics.

For octave the Foxx Tone Machine is probably my favorite type. That or the Fat Fuzz Factory.

Not a Foxx but for cheap the Electro-Harmonix Octavix Octave Fuzz sounds pretty good. The one I would be most interested in trying is the Wampler Fuzztration Fuzz Octave. Anyone using this one ?

Foxx Tone Machine is the Experience without the swell.

There is lots of clones of it. I'm interested in trying a Orange Fur Coat Octave Fuzz.

I have a Experience built by Quinn. It allows me to use the swell without the octave. Other than that it sounds like my Prescription Electronics.

For octave the Foxx Tone Machine is probably my favorite type. That or the Fat Fuzz Factory.

Not a Foxx but for cheap the Electro-Harmonix Octavix Octave Fuzz sounds pretty good. The one I would be most interested in trying is the Wampler Fuzztration Fuzz Octave. Anyone using this one ?
I think the Swell function is pretty cool and something I could use myself. I found this German company DS Custom that makes an Experience clone for an ok price. I even thought about buying a new real PE from Sweden for a while but it's 460€ so I got to my senses pretty soon...

The swell part of the Experience is the Anthony Leo Fuzz box from a article in Popular Electronics in 1967.

I've owned a few Experience. Bought my first shortly after it came out. It was my main fuzz till I tried a Fuzz Factory in the late 90's.

To this day the Experience, Fat Fuzz Factory and Death by Audio Apocalypse are my favorite fuzz.
I think I still have around 60 fuzz and have used around 300. Bought my first around 1976.

Last edited:

Echoplexi

Silver Supporting Member
So, the little Blackstrap Electrik Mk1 Tonebender is absolutely killer.

OC75 and 2G374’s, in a 125B enclosure. This is the only Mk1 I’ve ever played that has legit volume knob cleanup.

The attack knob goes from unstable low gain (transistor noise, no gating) to full gain and saturation around 1 o clock, after that the gating kicks in.

Anywhere before the gating point you can roll back the volume on the guitar to clean up a bit so can get all of the low gain Mk1 sounds without even touching the pedal, as long as you’re at the sweet spot.

The only downside is the Carling switch was faulty, not Matt’s fault at all but he’s making it right.

It’s entirely good enough to kick the jerms Mk1 off my board, at least for a while:

Matt is one of my favorite builders, really top notch. Great board too! How do you usually use your Deco? I have an El Cap and Flint on my board too, but have been curious about the Deco

Godspeed64

To this day the Experience, Fat Fuzz Factory and Death by Audio Apocalypse are my favorite fuzz.
I think I still have around 60 fuzz and have used around 300. Bought my first around 1976.
Wow! And those fuzzes are some I really want to try. Never tried an Experience, loved the Fuzz Factory for several years and the Fat version seems promising. For DBA I am most keen on the Fuzz War. What do you look for in a fuzz?

The swell part of the Experience is the Anthony Leo Fuzz box from a article in Popular Electronics in 1967.

I've owned a few Experience. Bought my first shortly after it came out. It was my main fuzz till I tried a Fuzz Factory in the late 90's.

Thanks for the info and all. I owned a Fat Fuzz Factory once but didn't really get it, I could give it another change.

Wow! And those fuzzes are some I really want to try. Never tried an Experience, loved the Fuzz Factory for several years and the Fat version seems promising. For DBA I am most keen on the Fuzz War. What do you look for in a fuzz?
Really depends on what I am doing. These three I like because they change the entire sound so much. I have plenty of others that are not as intense.
Sometimes I just want a Big Muff or Fuzz Face ....other times I want drastic changes in the envelope.

One of the voices on the Apocalypse is the Fuzz War. Three of the five voices on the Apocalypse is based on the Fuzz War.

Laservampire

Matt is one of my favorite builders, really top notch. Great board too! How do you usually use your Deco? I have an El Cap and Flint on my board too, but have been curious about the Deco
Cheers! The Deco is a swiss army knife of different sounds. The tape saturation side can be used to add a bit of warmth to your sound, or a pile of saturated distortion (without the usual harsh clipping of OD/distortion pedals). You can even set it clean and use the volume knob as a clean boost.

The delay side covers everything from slapback, chorus, flanging, wobbly analog tape speed sounds, out-of-phase notch filtering, all sorts of stuff. A really fun pedal, I wouldn't be without it!

Peps

Fuzzonaut / Fuzzombie / Fuzz Magisterium Bishop
Silver Supporting Member
Same to you, fuzzbreaux! Now where are the other 90% of your fuzzes?
d-:
Some is there, I just need to learn how to take great panoramic pix with my phone :p

Lauri, you already got great recommendations so I'll just throw in one more. I recently got a moonstone from turnipfarmfx and its a clone of the Wyllie's moonrock, with some extras. It has the swell option and also, a gain range mod so you can go achieve the clean octave blend. To be honest, I like it better than my PE experience. It has become one of my favorite octave fuzzes. I think I posted a pic couple of weeks ago but here it is just in case:

Also, .PSHC pdls. make a very affordable clone and its 95% there
https://reverb.com/item/30008181-pshc-pdls-piggy-octa-fuzz-boost-cob-sty
DS Custom makes a killer spot on clones of the PE experience, but those cost more.

Lauri, you already got great recommendations so I'll just throw in one more. I recently got a moonstone from turnipfarmfx and its a clone of the Wyllie's moonrock, with some extras. It has the swell option and also, a gain range mod so you can go achieve the clean octave blend. To be honest, I like it better than my PE experience. It has become one of my favorite octave fuzzes. I think I posted a pic couple of weeks ago but here it is just in case:

Also, .PSHC pdls. make a very affordable clone and its 95% there
https://reverb.com/item/30008181-pshc-pdls-piggy-octa-fuzz-boost-cob-sty
DS Custom makes a killer spot on clones of the PE experience, but those cost more.
Thanks Peps for the info, I'll check those out. That Moonstone is a beauty for sure!

Trending Topics