Strictly FUZZ

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by chrismellotron, May 30, 2013.

1. Lauri Vennonen

Lauri Vennonen Member

I watched the JHS video on octave fuzzes and the Doyle Bramhall II's Reverb video and my Foxx/Prescription thing kind of caught my attention the most. I'm sure the Super Fuzz can do a lot more than what was in the JHS video, I just thought I would eatch it and pick my favorite and see where that takes me.

I'll check that one out as well, thank you very much.

2. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

Foxx Tone Machine is the Experience without the swell.

There is lots of clones of it. I'm interested in trying a Orange Fur Coat Octave Fuzz.

I have a Experience built by Quinn. It allows me to use the swell without the octave. Other than that it sounds like my Prescription Electronics.

For octave the Foxx Tone Machine is probably my favorite type. That or the Fat Fuzz Factory.

Not a Foxx but for cheap the Electro-Harmonix Octavix Octave Fuzz sounds pretty good. The one I would be most interested in trying is the Wampler Fuzztration Fuzz Octave. Anyone using this one ?

Peps and Lauri Vennonen like this.
  3. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

Starting a channel and a friend passed me his Analogman Sunface RCA model. What a fun and satisfying fuzz! Cleans up better than my Mini Bone V2 and Carcosa, although no surprise there to be honest!

wrightdude, johnetone, kinvhs and 9 others like this.
  4. Lauri Vennonen

Lauri Vennonen Member

I think the Swell function is pretty cool and something I could use myself. I found this German company DS Custom that makes an Experience clone for an ok price. I even thought about buying a new real PE from Sweden for a while but it's 460€ so I got to my senses pretty soon...

JVJ, Peps and stephen sawall like this.
  5. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

The swell part of the Experience is the Anthony Leo Fuzz box from a article in Popular Electronics in 1967.

I've owned a few Experience. Bought my first shortly after it came out. It was my main fuzz till I tried a Fuzz Factory in the late 90's.

To this day the Experience, Fat Fuzz Factory and Death by Audio Apocalypse are my favorite fuzz.
    I think I still have around 60 fuzz and have used around 300. Bought my first around 1976.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019 at 10:32 AM
    johnetone, JVJ, Peps and 8 others like this.
  6. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

Matt is one of my favorite builders, really top notch. Great board too! How do you usually use your Deco? I have an El Cap and Flint on my board too, but have been curious about the Deco

Peps likes this.
  7. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

Wow! And those fuzzes are some I really want to try. Never tried an Experience, loved the Fuzz Factory for several years and the Fat version seems promising. For DBA I am most keen on the Fuzz War. What do you look for in a fuzz?

stephen sawall likes this.
  8. Lauri Vennonen

Lauri Vennonen Member

Thanks for the info and all. I owned a Fat Fuzz Factory once but didn't really get it, I could give it another change.

9. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

Really depends on what I am doing. These three I like because they change the entire sound so much. I have plenty of others that are not as intense.
    Sometimes I just want a Big Muff or Fuzz Face ....other times I want drastic changes in the envelope.

johnetone likes this.
  10. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

I don't think the Fuzz Factory is for everyone. A lot of people are not into it.
    The Experience is much more stable and user friendly.

johnetone and Lauri Vennonen like this.
  11. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

One of the voices on the Apocalypse is the Fuzz War. Three of the five voices on the Apocalypse is based on the Fuzz War.

johnetone and Godspeed64 like this.
  12. Laservampire

Laservampire Member

Cheers! The Deco is a swiss army knife of different sounds. The tape saturation side can be used to add a bit of warmth to your sound, or a pile of saturated distortion (without the usual harsh clipping of OD/distortion pedals). You can even set it clean and use the volume knob as a clean boost.

The delay side covers everything from slapback, chorus, flanging, wobbly analog tape speed sounds, out-of-phase notch filtering, all sorts of stuff. A really fun pedal, I wouldn't be without it!

Peps, VooDooClown and Echoplexi like this.
  13. Peps

Peps Fuzzonaut / Fuzzombie / Fuzz Magisterium Bishop Gold Supporting Member

Some is there, I just need to learn how to take great panoramic pix with my phone :p

Lauri, you already got great recommendations so I'll just throw in one more. I recently got a moonstone from turnipfarmfx and its a clone of the Wyllie's moonrock, with some extras. It has the swell option and also, a gain range mod so you can go achieve the clean octave blend. To be honest, I like it better than my PE experience. It has become one of my favorite octave fuzzes. I think I posted a pic couple of weeks ago but here it is just in case:

Also, .PSHC pdls. make a very affordable clone and its 95% there
    https://reverb.com/item/30008181-pshc-pdls-piggy-octa-fuzz-boost-cob-sty
    DS Custom makes a killer spot on clones of the PE experience, but those cost more.

14. Lauri Vennonen

Lauri Vennonen Member

Thanks Peps for the info, I'll check those out. That Moonstone is a beauty for sure!

Flatscan and Peps like this.
  15. SubApathy

SubApathy Member

I purchased a Walrus Contraband a few months ago and recently picked up a JHS Cheese Ball (the Blacked Out version). I like both because they have their differences.

16. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

I have had a couple Basic Audio fuzzes on loan for way longer than I should have. Life kept getting in my way, but I found time to spend a little more time with them before they went back, so here are three relatively short (for me) tracks:

First up is the EF-ZEE-ONE, in a fairly straight ahead setting —

Next, one with the Messenger —

And finally, a joke EF-ZEE-ONE track —

17. adamajah

adamajah Supporting Member

For some reason I'm really into Supa MKI's right now. Love that vocal midrange and mega-squish. All three of these are fantastic. The Creepy Fingers was my only black friday purchase. \m/

18. songtalk

songtalk Member

Dude, I swear it is because the temperature just dropped everywhere and now the Supa Mk.1s are starting to sound better than the Mk.1s. It happened at my house too. I'm back on the Behan and the Basic Audio Supa like all the time.

junu, Tom Von Kramm, kinvhs and 5 others like this.
  19. Lung plunger

Lung plunger Member

Definitely. I've been tweaking the bias on my B.E.C. mk1.5.

Out of curiosity, how long did it take to get your Behan? Anything extra you have to do with customs or anything?

VooDooClown and songtalk like this.
  20. songtalk

songtalk Member

I think from order time to reception it may have been 3 weeks or so my wife ordered it for me for my birthday so I couldn't tell you for sure but I know it wasn't a long time. She told him I liked them quote on quote nasty and asked him to put a bias knob on it as per my usual preference which she was a tuned to. It is absolutely one of the best fuzzes I've ever played in my life.