Strictly FUZZ

basicaudio

@biffoz Does that Supa Tweak you offered a clip of have one or two toggles? I'm getting confused . :)
The Supa Tweak has one toggle switch for Sag. This tightens up the squish when hit hard.
Also, the bias and Gain have been separated so you can get a full gain sweep with solid
fixed bias (Same bias as when cranked). With the gain down you can also get a good amount
of Sag with the toggle on, and a Tone knob that brings in bass or mid range mid circuit similar
to the Marq Won.

songtalk

That escalated quickly!

This thing is totally wild. The decay is rumbly crackly. This fuzz has a slight splatter-horn-like quality to it and does the folding squish thing too. The oscillation is a lot of fun and has been cool while looping. The bias knob reminds me of the starve knob on the Texsur. It has more than two "ranges" and lots of interesting tones reside throughout. The gain knob helps dial in how much of that enveloping squish rumble you want and also gives you access to awesome low gain amplike sounds. Excited to spend today exploring!

:)

Jess 1971

Silver Supporting Member
I have a pretty decent collection of solid fuzzes that I've been accumulating over the past few years, largely to be used for various recording projects, as my band makes a lot of music and I'm always chasing some different tones. After auditioning all these pedals again for the current album I'm working on, the ones that I'm using the most are my Wren and Cuff Eye See '78, BA Super Fuzz, and my Skreddy Mayo. All sound truly great and bring a unique sound to this record. However, the fuzz that I've used more than all the others combined is my ZVex Fuzz Factory. I find it difficult to keep this fuzz on my pedalboard owing to its volatile behavior, but as a recording tool, it really is spectacular. I know it's not handmade (I have the Vexter version) and doesn't have super cache value, but it's still a killer-sounding fuzz. In a mix, it can sound absolutely enormous and totally gnarly.

fitzo

Greybeard
Silver Supporting Member

That escalated quickly!

This thing is totally wild. The decay is rumbly crackly. This fuzz has a slight splatter-horn-like quality to it and does the folding squish thing too. The oscillation is a lot of fun and has been cool while looping. The bias knob reminds me of the starve knob on the Texsur. It has more than two "ranges" and lots of interesting tones reside throughout. The gain knob helps dial in how much of that enveloping squish rumble you want and also gives you access to awesome low gain amplike sounds. Excited to spend today exploring!

:)

I stumbled across that low gain surprise last week and spent three days down in that range of the dial. It was unexpected and very satisfying. This is quite a fuzz. Excellent description you gave!

I really like the finish on your pedal. Not quite as much rust as on the one I got; subsequently a bit more clarity to the print around the knobs. The finish John elected to put on these with the crystalline look of the case aluminum (native, bead blasted or vibratory finish?) coupled with the metal sheet from the old shed bring to my mind a hint of something post-apocalyptic that someone has dug out of a rubble pile and polished back up. Very cool.

Sitting next to the sparkly bronze Gnarly that showed up today (two days early!) it is quite a juxtaposition.

songtalk

I stumbled across that low gain surprise last week and spent three days down in that range of the dial. It was unexpected and very satisfying. This is quite a fuzz. Excellent description you gave!

I really like the finish on your pedal. Not quite as much rust as on the one I got; subsequently a bit more clarity to the print around the knobs. The finish John elected to put on these with the crystalline look of the case aluminum (native, bead blasted or vibratory finish?) coupled with the metal sheet from the old shed bring to my mind a hint of something post-apocalyptic that someone has dug out of a rubble pile and polished back up. Very cool.

Sitting next to the sparkly bronze Gnarly that showed up today (two days early!) it is quite a juxtaposition.

It sounds during-apocalyptic so the finish works! LOL

biffoz

I have a pretty decent collection of solid fuzzes that I've been accumulating over the past few years, largely to be used for various recording projects, as my band makes a lot of music and I'm always chasing some different tones. After auditioning all these pedals again for the current album I'm working on, the ones that I'm using the most are my Wren and Cuff Eye See '78, BA Super Fuzz, and my Skreddy Mayo. All sound truly great and bring a unique sound to this record. However, the fuzz that I've used more than all the others combined is my ZVex Fuzz Factory. I find it difficult to keep this fuzz on my pedalboard owing to its volatile behavior, but as a recording tool, it really is spectacular. I know it's not handmade (I have the Vexter version) and doesn't have super cache value, but it's still a killer-sounding fuzz. In a mix, it can sound absolutely enormous and totally gnarly.
Same experience for me: love all my fuzzes, but the Fuzz Factory always brings the juice.

Be brave a use that sucka on your board! You eventually start reliably dialing in your fave tones.

Last edited:

biffoz

@biffoz Does that Supa Tweak you offered a clip of have one or two toggles? I'm getting confused . :)

Supa Tweak, Right Fuzz, and Foxton are at the top of my list. That said, I took advantage of the Coast Sonic Black Friday sale and picked up two that were further down my BA list, a Tri-Ram and a Gnarly. Haven't got the Gnarly yet, but the Tri-Ram is cool old school tones and perhaps the loudest danged fuzz I own, even amongst my BA collection.

Happy Fuzzing to all with your new apres-turkey acquisitions!
Looks like John gave you the details! Do you already have a Supa MKI? If so, maybe you've got it covered, but I do use both toggle and Tone for various reasons. Takes other dirt stacking like a dream. Fuzz Factory into Supa is all kinds of awesome.

Byknfool

Silver Supporting Member
Want to give a shout out to the SUF Sonic Generator. I've been on a fuzz kick lately and have tried out several recently. I plugged that one in, played a power chord riff and HOLY CRAP! I haven't smiled that big in a while after a one time hitting the strings. I'll obviously have to play it more but that pedal sounds awesome!

Another cool pedal I got recently is a blackout fuzz based on a recommendation from here. That one is also a great pedal.

I'm starting to think I must be a muff guy:)

fitzo

Greybeard
Silver Supporting Member
Looks like John gave you the details! Do you already have a Supa MKI? If so, maybe you've got it covered, but I do use both toggle and Tone for various reasons. Takes other dirt stacking like a dream. Fuzz Factory into Supa is all kinds of awesome.
Thanks, Mikko! Yes, I already have a Supa MKI. Mayhap I'll hold off on that one a while. I want a Right Fuzz and Foxton, so those will likely come next and give me a couple more takes on early fuzzes. I also saw a neat Kay fuzz on John's Instagram with a couple new mods. :)

John, thanks for the explanation about Supa Tweak!

johnetone

Same experience for me: love all my fuzzes, but the Fuzz Factory always brings the juice.

Be brave a use that sucka on your board! You eventually start reliably dialing in your fave tones.
I was going to say...I'm borrowing a friend’s Toxic Fuzz Factory and it absolutely destroys. And to me its actually pretty easy to work with. I think if we demystify it a bit here, the thing is pretty simple.

level = volume
Drive = fuzz
Stab = tone (hi-cut)

gate = oscillation yes/no
Comp = crackle or sustain control

and ultimately its just a badass fuzz face with oscillating capabilities!!

Phineas Ball

Fuzz
Silver Supporting Member
the Super Fuzz is just… well… super.
It really is. Mine is currently inhabiting Slot 2 on the Big Board. Usually in half-gain mode (unless I need...more...) where it can sound like bells, and Jimi, and Jimi banging on bells. Love that thing.

I'm interested in trying a Orange Fur Coat Octave Fuzz.
It's very cool. Its octave is on a knob, and if you set that knob at 3:00 or less you can roll the octave in and out with the volume knob on the guitar while still retaining a great big wall of fuzz.

For some reason I'm really into Supa MKI's right now. Love that vocal midrange and mega-squish. All three of these are fantastic. The Creepy Fingers was my only black friday purchase. \m/
I think the reason is because they are awesome!

Just caught up on a few pages of SF with soundtrack (via Soundcloud) provided by @cbm, @johnetone, and @junu. Great stuff guys. Tone, when you hit those fast palm-muted bits at the ~3:00 minute mark of "Fuzzy Octaves and Oscillations" I was like, "Whoa!" You noodle with the best of 'em, dude.

Phineas Ball

Fuzz
Silver Supporting Member
Here's a little clip of my two favorite fuzzes these days, the Ghost Futura and the Echopark F-1, with a bit of Fabrikat super octave halo orchestra chiming in. Played on my lovely, humbucker-loaded ES-335.

Both of these fuzzes are just the bomb, plain and simple. This Futura may have -> gasp! -< ended my quest for the perfect Mk 1.

0:00 - Futura, neck at the start, then bridge
2:20 - F-1, neck pup - warm, round, a little bouncy when I really dig in
3:04 - F-1, bridge pup - instantly full of sizzle, not on the strings any harder than I just had been on the neck
3:30 - F-1, back to neck pup
3:47 - F-1, neck, with Fabrikat (man, I love that sound)
4:02 - F-1 Bridge w/ Fab
4:30 - F-1 neck w/ Fab
4:55 - Futura, neck w/ Fab
5:42 - F-1 w/ Fab and a quick burst of Bicycle Delay

My humble tribute to this mighty thread as the 44 172nd post!

An offering of Germanium Fuzz Face with a boost BEFORE THE FUZZ? Yes, that is correct.

What about a Germanium Fuzz Face played with ACTIVE EMGs? Both in a clean and dirty amp?? Gloriously thick (and even dynamic) indeed!

And of course, an AmO 50's Strat with said Germanium Fuzz Face for some high gain madness, in a clean and dirty amp as well. Most fuzzy!

Fuzz on, good Sirs!

mattpas

Silver Supporting Member
Want to give a shout out to the SUF Sonic Generator. I've been on a fuzz kick lately and have tried out several recently. I plugged that one in, played a power chord riff and HOLY CRAP! I haven't smiled that big in a while after a one time hitting the strings. I'll obviously have to play it more but that pedal sounds awesome!

Another cool pedal I got recently is a blackout fuzz based on a recommendation from here. That one is also a great pedal.

I'm starting to think I must be a muff guy:)
That's great to hear. Glad you like it.

johnetone

It really is. Mine is currently inhabiting Slot 2 on the Big Board. Usually in half-gain mode (unless I need...more...) where it can sound like bells, and Jimi, and Jimi banging on bells. Love that thing.

It's very cool. Its octave is on a knob, and if you set that knob at 3:00 or less you can roll the octave in and out with the volume knob on the guitar while still retaining a great big wall of fuzz.

I think the reason is because they are awesome!

Just caught up on a few pages of SF with soundtrack (via Soundcloud) provided by @cbm, @johnetone, and @junu. Great stuff guys. Tone, when you hit those fast palm-muted bits at the ~3:00 minute mark of "Fuzzy Octaves and Oscillations" I was like, "Whoa!" You noodle with the best of 'em, dude.
Haha thanks Phin! That part was me warming up the Kingsley Harlot which can actually get pretty fuzzy with the gain up high. It's a fantastic overdrive for people who like heavy music. But I must say its one shortcoming is that fuzz seems to overload it pretty quick if I'm going fuzz > boost > harlot. Something about the frequency content of fuzz just pushes it too far. BUT it's my favorite overdrive that I've had in years and I am just learning to adjust my gain staging a bit and to also simply turn it off and just use fuzz > boost when I want fuzz or boost > overdrive when I just want overdrive. the common denominator is that my boost (Saturn V) is generally always on because THAT is my clean sound dreams becoming reality!

adamajah

Silver Supporting Member
Here's a little clip of my two favorite fuzzes these days, the Ghost Futura and the Echopark F-1, with a bit of Fabrikat super octave halo orchestra chiming in. Played on my lovely, humbucker-loaded ES-335.

Both of these fuzzes are just the bomb, plain and simple. This Futura may have -> gasp! -< ended my quest for the perfect Mk 1.

0:00 - Futura, neck at the start, then bridge
2:20 - F-1, neck pup - warm, round, a little bouncy when I really dig in
3:04 - F-1, bridge pup - instantly full of sizzle, not on the strings any harder than I just had been on the neck
3:30 - F-1, back to neck pup
3:47 - F-1, neck, with Fabrikat (man, I love that sound)
4:02 - F-1 Bridge w/ Fab
4:30 - F-1 neck w/ Fab
4:55 - Futura, neck w/ Fab
5:42 - F-1 w/ Fab and a quick burst of Bicycle Delay
Nice jam dude! That F-1 really cuts, and pairs well with that Fabrikat setting.

Mmm... Futura

Trending Topics