Strictly FUZZ

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by chrismellotron, May 30, 2013.

1. Lung plunger

Lung plunger Member

That's awesome. My bday is coming up, and I think I'll drop massive hints to get my girl to do the same. I'm sure it'll be a go considering Jimmy has cats all over the Super Electric page. She loves cats, and Ireland to... ha.

Lauri Vennonen, songtalk and adamajah like this.
  2. adamajah

adamajah Supporting Member

Dood.

I've been contemplating the possibility of that because all three are sounding especially good in this weather.

Time to invest in a pedal fridge.

3. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Good to see that you are enjoying the Blackstrap.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 4:57 PM
    Lung plunger, adamajah and songtalk like this.
  4. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

The Unidrive that I bought from Jimmy came very quickly (less than 2 weeks from memory). It had no customs obligations.

There was a signature requirement (which is fine).

5. Lung plunger

Lung plunger Member

Awesome. How do you use the unidrive? Boost into saturation, or can it be used as a tone sweetener?

6. Flatscan

I actually sold it even though I very much liked it. I used my Empress ParaEQ to emulate its EQ and then set its boost to taste.

Appreciating that the Uni is largely a cleanish boost, the key elements of the tone are preserved sans the noise (the Uni is not quiet).

All of the applications that you describe are worthwhile. I tend not to stack and most always run a warm (not hot) amp. If you're interested I can share a picture of my EQ match.

Lung plunger likes this.
  7. biffoz

biffoz Member

All this Supa talk has me singing my praises of the BA Supa Tweak. That midrange honk is pretty dang amazing and blistering at full gain.

8. Flatscan

You have to be careful with those Supas, they're prone to exploding.

;P

9. adamajah

I'd say it's more like imploding :B

10. biffoz

biffoz Member

11. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

12. adamajah

Yes! It's very tasty, and Blackstrap build quality is very impressive.

13. fitzo

fitzo Silver Supporting Member

@biffoz Does that Supa Tweak you offered a clip of have one or two toggles? I'm getting confused . :)

Supa Tweak, Right Fuzz, and Foxton are at the top of my list. That said, I took advantage of the Coast Sonic Black Friday sale and picked up two that were further down my BA list, a Tri-Ram and a Gnarly. Haven't got the Gnarly yet, but the Tri-Ram is cool old school tones and perhaps the loudest danged fuzz I own, even amongst my BA collection.

Happy Fuzzing to all with your new apres-turkey acquisitions!

14. songtalk

songtalk Member

I have a Pirk that should be here soon! Got a raw gnarly green rusted burned down shack faceplate. All the clips convinced me plus self oscillation!

I'm super stoked on it. I also snagged a really solid deal on a Basic Audio Superfuzz which I'm very excited to try! Everyone seems to love em!

15. Lauri Vennonen

Lauri Vennonen Member

16. basicaudio

basicaudio Member

The Supa Tweak has one toggle switch for Sag. This tightens up the squish when hit hard.
    Also, the bias and Gain have been separated so you can get a full gain sweep with solid
    fixed bias (Same bias as when cranked). With the gain down you can also get a good amount
    of Sag with the toggle on, and a Tone knob that brings in bass or mid range mid circuit similar
    to the Marq Won.

17. songtalk

songtalk Member

That escalated quickly!

This thing is totally wild. The decay is rumbly crackly. This fuzz has a slight splatter-horn-like quality to it and does the folding squish thing too. The oscillation is a lot of fun and has been cool while looping. The bias knob reminds me of the starve knob on the Texsur. It has more than two "ranges" and lots of interesting tones reside throughout. The gain knob helps dial in how much of that enveloping squish rumble you want and also gives you access to awesome low gain amplike sounds. Excited to spend today exploring!

:)

18. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I went back for seconds but they were all gone.

Lauri Vennonen and Peps like this.
  19. Jess 1971

Jess 1971 Supporting Member

I have a pretty decent collection of solid fuzzes that I've been accumulating over the past few years, largely to be used for various recording projects, as my band makes a lot of music and I'm always chasing some different tones. After auditioning all these pedals again for the current album I'm working on, the ones that I'm using the most are my Wren and Cuff Eye See '78, BA Super Fuzz, and my Skreddy Mayo. All sound truly great and bring a unique sound to this record. However, the fuzz that I've used more than all the others combined is my ZVex Fuzz Factory. I find it difficult to keep this fuzz on my pedalboard owing to its volatile behavior, but as a recording tool, it really is spectacular. I know it's not handmade (I have the Vexter version) and doesn't have super cache value, but it's still a killer-sounding fuzz. In a mix, it can sound absolutely enormous and totally gnarly.

20. fitzo

fitzo Silver Supporting Member

I stumbled across that low gain surprise last week and spent three days down in that range of the dial. It was unexpected and very satisfying. This is quite a fuzz. Excellent description you gave!

I really like the finish on your pedal. Not quite as much rust as on the one I got; subsequently a bit more clarity to the print around the knobs. The finish John elected to put on these with the crystalline look of the case aluminum (native, bead blasted or vibratory finish?) coupled with the metal sheet from the old shed bring to my mind a hint of something post-apocalyptic that someone has dug out of a rubble pile and polished back up. Very cool.

Sitting next to the sparkly bronze Gnarly that showed up today (two days early!) it is quite a juxtaposition.