1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

Strictly FUZZ

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by chrismellotron, May 30, 2013.

1. normal ninja

normal ninja Member

I notice fuzz sounds in mastodon & ghost listening to the rocks that i like

i listen to everything david torn shares for sure

songtalk likes this.
  2. Lung plunger

Lung plunger Member

The Brotherhood man. Brotherhood.

I guess I need to start looking at boosts. My Nebraska Crane is pretty much at unity when dimed, and stomping on the 2065 is sonic mayhem. I like the loudness of the 2065, good lord that thing is gnarly. I mean dang.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    Porfirio, JVJ, StratmanSteve and 9 others like this.
  3. '90s Pacifica

'90s Pacifica Member

4. Junco Partner

Junco Partner Member

Ronald Jones-era Flaming Lips defined putting ugly, boundary-pushing sounds into the context of (relatively) catchy rock music, when I was a teen.

Billy Corgan might be the world’s most difficult D-bag in interviews and such, but he deserves to be mentioned in any thread about fuzz lead players. Siamese Dream brought that sound back to the mainstream for an awful lot of people.

Also Kevin Shields, J Mascis, both the Mudhoney guys (they have an album named after two fuzz pedals, forchristsake!).

I know it’s sacrilege to blues lovers, but I was blown away the first time (and every successive time) I heard Electric Mud.

Pete Townshend and Ron Asheton, Superfuzz abusers extraordinaires.

People don’t really associate Steely Dan with dirty fuzz tones, but for their first couple albums, when they were actually a band (as opposed to a studio project) they had a hot guitar duo in Denny Dias and Skunk Baxter. Listen to the last part of Boston Rag for a fine example of slick Steely Dan songcraft with an absolutely filthy fuzz solo on top.

5. '90s Pacifica

'90s Pacifica Member

6. Phineas Ball

Phineas Ball Fuzz Silver Supporting Member

So much killer music. The Brotherhood - ooh, me like.

JVJ, StratmanSteve, friend33 and 9 others like this.
  7. Phineas Ball

Phineas Ball Fuzz Silver Supporting Member

After acquiring zero fuzz for a while, I've gone on a mini tear. Started with the FFF back in December, which was one of those classic #enabledbySF moves that has reaped big bennies - what a killer fuzz. Then the aforementioned China Fuzz and Crimson King. And today I just pulled the trigger on a Dwarfcraft Necromancer because its gonna doom like I think I need to doom - especially after sampling the music posted on this very page of SF.

So that's an indirect #enabledbySF.

stanshall, friend33, Peps and 7 others like this.
  8. Flouncingfleasbag

Flouncingfleasbag Member

:);):mad::eek:- dropping some ultimate stoner on that 2kuss. Dont blame me, you guys started it.​

9. wrightdude

wrightdude Member

BEAST!

Peps likes this.
  10. JumpinBradFlash

JumpinBradFlash Member

When it comes to fuzz, Marc Ford is THE man for me. I believe this song features a London Fuzz

11. Flouncingfleasbag

Flouncingfleasbag Member

The bridge gets so fuzzy
    Love these guys

Porfirio, JVJ, StratmanSteve and 6 others like this.
  12. Lung plunger

Lung plunger Member

I LOVE dead meadow. Being a Tennessee native, I've been lucky enough to see them a few times.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On another note, it's been a little while since I've gotten a nice fuzz. Being the sole income in a young free-living household can kinda put a damp on GAS unless you want to sell off something. I dont. It's the time of the year where people are cashing in tax checks... not me, the govt takes mine for student loans. That really sucks. But.. we've got our emergency savings padded up a little and I've got the funds for the next keeper. On the hunt, but im not sure what it'll be yet?

JVJ, wrightdude, Peps and 2 others like this.
  13. Flouncingfleasbag

Flouncingfleasbag Member

Yeah, I hear you on the cash flow, bills bulls bills... but we squirrel away.

I got lucky to see Dead Meadow almost everytime they came to NYC. They are definitely a band that's sound is made for hearing live, hard to translate that energy and moving vibrations to a recording.

I really wanna get the YES! Pedal only $99, he's got a new run coming soon.

JVJ, adamajah, wrightdude and 8 others like this.
  14. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

Any thoughts on this? I’d feel silly if I sent it back to z vex only to get a “they all do that” response. But I don’t remember my old ones doing this. Thanks!

15. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

Mine is noisy as hell unless I gate it, which is what I do anyway. Unless I’m going for oscillation of course! Mines a vexter

Peps and Lung plunger like this.
  16. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

Thanks! Like crackle/popping noises or oscillation?

17. Flouncingfleasbag

Flouncingfleasbag Member

This should get more likes... I'm not just saying...this is the best band I've heard in 20 years.; I truly believe that.

JVJ, Lauri Vennonen and basicaudio like this.
  18. Byknfool

Byknfool Member

One of my current favorites

JVJ, StratmanSteve, fitzo and 7 others like this.
  19. basicaudio

basicaudio Member

Drones is good also. You can hear the progression to Tropical....(same singer/guitarist).