• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Strictly FUZZ

fishleehooker

Silver Supporting Member
What amp? Try it with the amp crunched up a little if you haven’t already

It looks great in white, and that Tele looks striking! Love a Tele with binding

Now make clips of all the other Fuzzes!
Yeah I...some of my fuzzes sound better with it cleaner, but that Silvertone 5 watter needed to be louder. That's my quick plus in combo but I'll show more with the Supro Thunderbolt. I really need to place the phone closer too. Its like 13 feet back! LOL I will now start posting things. I need to learn how to imbed these videos but also pay attention to the whole set-up (mic, placement, etc.) so you all can really hear the fuzz better!! I'll probably use my macbook next time and see whats up.

adamajah

Silver Supporting Member
Here is my secret third.

I have had it for a while, played it in a shop while passing through the city for work and decided to circle back and buy it. I just love the old two-tone bursts and the neck and fingerboard feels exactly like a real '65 I once spent some time with and was ruined by. I had the Zvex pickups for over a year, I wired the pickguard up last summer I think, little switch for different caps. It's an interesting set, the neck and bridge are coil-tapped. Still working out how I feel about the sound ... takes me time to understand. The guitar had old Evans pickups in the neck and bridge, which absolutely sounded like that sound that certain great players were using in the '80s, around that time I always wondered not only how they all got that sound but why, all that astonishing and beautiful guitar playing and all those strange sounds ... anyway. Those had to come out right away. And the stock hardware on these Tokais, especially the bridge, is not nice. But the Vega-Trem is awesome, that and the Sperzels, the other hardware bits that have yet to go on, those are the isolation distractions. Always in progress!
I like where that's going @urQuill. I've been wanting to do something similar to my strat, right down to the Vega-Trem and locking tuners, but it magically started staying in tune recently. I don't know anything about those pickups - I'll have to look them up.

fitzo

Greybeard
Gold Supporting Member
@urQuill The Tokai looks great with the changes! The trem fills the cavity enough that it doesn't look awkward at all, and you've already commented on its performance. Hope the Sperzels provided the rest of any needed stability. Are those pickups Zexcoils or the ZVex you mentioned?

Still waiting on shipping confirmation on my Vega-Trem. CoVid made a mess of Spain. Hard to imagine it will be here by the end of the month from Spain if it hasn't shipped yet, which was their expectation last time I inquired. Hope it doesn't turn into a Charlie Foxtrot and I eventually have to invoke Paypal to get my money back. I'd much rather have the trem.

Last edited:

urQuill

Silver Supporting Member
... Are those pickups Zexcoils or the ZVex you mentioned?
:bonkI totally wrote "Zvex", didn't I? I totally meant, "Zexcoil". @adamajah - please don't look for Zvex pickups. I think I really like them. I had no expectations really but they are pretty different. I think they need to be much closer to the strings than we would normally set vintage-spec Strat single coils with pole magnets.

I'm kinda chasing a sound that would meld an old Strat with the dry, bright stringy-ness of an old Selmer acoustic and also the very unusual acoustic qualities of the Epiphone archtops from the thirties, like a beautiful blonde Deluxe that visited the ranch for a while, gawd that was a great guitar. The Stimer pickups that were first used to amplify the Selmers and many of the DeArmond pickups were very interesting sounding pickups, they seemed to capture ... oh I dunno what I'm talking about.

Lung plunger

Damn, have got a few pages to catch up on. Here's mine, and it sounds weird but someone had to die for me to get this old girl.

I was actually going to ask what everyone prefers with their fuzz... p90s, single coils, regular, low wind, or hot humbuckers? I'm pretty set on replacing my bridge pickup when I replace the bunk pots. Just dunno, too many choices. I loved the BG Pure90s I used to have, but he's at roughly 8 weeks lead time.

urQuill

Silver Supporting Member
Damn, have got a few pages to catch up on. Here's mine, and it sounds weird but someone had to die for me to get this old girl.

I was actually going to ask what everyone prefers with their fuzz... p90s, single coils, regular, low wind, or hot humbuckers? I'm pretty set on replacing my bridge pickup when I replace the bunk pots. Just dunno, too many choices. I loved the BG Pure90s I used to have, but he's at roughly 8 weeks lead time.
THAT is as nice a 335 as has ever been, and all the better for having had a proper refret. Tell us more about it - at least, the year.

as for what pickups are good for fuzz ... :dunno

most should be adaptable to fuzzes to some degree

We need our brilliant fuzz builders like @Tom Von Kramm @basicaudio or @pickdropper or who else hangs around ... @songtalk ... i know there’s many others who know a lot about this

I once thought if a guitar worked well into a 5E3 it would work well into fuzz but that’s a pretty narrow vintage-spec approach

Last edited:
My recent fuzz favorite. An early to mid-sixties wood bodied Airline with the pickup in the universally accepted proper position. Sadly it does not have it's original bridge, but it is strung with TI Jazz Swing flatties.

chandra

The mom & pop in town has a used Mastotron for $89, was tempted but these pots just gotta go. How you like it?
Haven’t gotten a chance to plug in yet, but I’ll let you know later!

Love how you qualified that and ran off the tracks before even reaching a period. o_O ;)
Hahaha! I was actuallu about to grab another one as I was typing that post, but had to stop myself.

fishleehooker

Silver Supporting Member

1st off: GLORIOUS guitar!!
2nd: the fuzz can be a moving target. The transistors change with the temperature often! But they aren't real predictable as other gear can be....which is why its so GREAT!! Its wild and unruly by nature. BUT.....
3rd: I like low output pickups. I think its less about the type. If the pickup is too high output for a Fuzz, you could roll the volume and or tone knob down, or even lower your pickups possibly? BUT...
4th I like single coils best for Fuzz, but a coil split humbucker is wonderful, as are P90s, especially vintage lower output, like 7-8k. I am finding great results with my Dynasonics which is how PTownshend did the Fuzz. Yet to try Gold foil type but Splatt is your answer there. Truth told SPlatt could make any pickup sound pretty dang great or wonderfully terrible. LOL!!( I hope you know what I mean there Splatt/ others) I havent tried filtertons but want to. Lipsticks LOVE fuzz. Lipstick pickups and fuzz are like 2 dogs in heat if you will.

johnetone

Everybody’s posting virus guitars, particularly short-scales. Me? I decided to go the other direction to 34”, and bought a bass (G&L Tribute LB-100). I think I could carve that up into two Jag necks, if needed...o_O

I bought it mainly because I’m getting more heavily into recording and will mostly be using it DI for tracks, but the wheels will likely come off pretty quickly and it’ll get routed through every fuzz I have. (Bass through a Rotobone? :eek:)

Might need to pick @johnetone ’s brain on this one...or anybody else here who has fun fuzz advice for bass. :cool:
You ever want to borrow my Dizzy for some tracks, let me know! I can mail it to you or whatever. It would be cooler to see you in person though brother!
I guess I gotta throw a guitar on here now huh? Here is the one I had wanted for a year. I got it during Quarantine. They sold one like it at Wildwood last year but that one had a black back. I prefer natural or brownish backs, so I said that would be the one I would order. I spent the rest of the year pining over every duojet I saw and almost bought a sweet one...I think a '53? Anyway this one couldn't have popped up for sale at a better time. I had the $ and had thought it through for a year straight on specs. I was patient and diligent. Unlike the way I am with Fuzz. I thought about that a little too last night. I think buying all the Fuzz is actually highly educational to me and I like that and maybe need that still? I like learning about all the litle nerdy things we talk about like transistors and which pedal a musician may or may not have used. I am a Rock history maniac. I love everything about it from a learning standpoint and the Fuzz must have been a blind spot. And now I am just trying to drink in as much as possible. Which is to say there may be 2 more circuits I really want to explore more: Rangemaster and Tonebender II, but I am gonna take my time there. Anyway here is the Duo. It absolutely loves the fuzz, seems to really like it when I lose the pick and is kind of begging for Flatwounds. I need to revisit that discussion on here. Its probably 20 pages back by now though!

To mo, everything about this guitar screams play crazy wild Fuzzy psychedelic, etc
That guitar rocks my world! What beauty, style and grace!

Lung plunger

THAT is as nice a 335 as has ever been, and all the better for having had a proper refret. Tell us more about it - at least, the year.

as for what pickups are good for fuzz ... :dunno

most should be adaptable to fuzzes to some degree

We need our brilliant fuzz builders like @Tom Von Kramm @basicaudio or @pickdropper or who else hangs around ... @songtalk ... i know there’s many others who know a lot about this

I once thought if a guitar worked well into a 5E3 it would work well into fuzz but that’s a pretty narrow vintage-spec approach
Hey thanks for the compliments dude, much appreciated. About the guitar.. It was made in 2000, Nashville. A regular Dot I believe. It's taken over a year and a half, but I think I've finally bonded with it. It's an awesome player, and handles fuzz/gain amazingly.

Empros

All of them sound great with fuzz.

It really depends on the fuzz, too. My Spooky Tooth and Fuzz Mutant sound best with my Tele pickups.
My Scarab Deluxe sounds best with Humbuckers.
Texsur, Orpheum, Marq Won, Foxton, Unpleasant Surprise all sound best with P90s to me.

The way I've seen it, in general:

Single Coils, being the lowest output (usually) and thinnest pickups will usually let the Fuzz take over the most. You'll get most of the fuzz pedal with single coils.

P90s will impart some of their character on the fuzz.

Humbuckers will drive the fuzz harder so less fuzz character.

That's all generalizing, and really depends on the guitar, amp, fuzz... The real answer is they'll all sound awesome!

songtalk

For me, everything has its place. I find that some fuzzes really like low output pickups to do their magic and others really benefit from some thick chunky slamming pickups. Some fuzzes need a hot amp with some mids and some are right at home in a scooped clean machine. Some don't reach unity and really only want to be used in a studio. Some sound awful when you plug in right after buying it to "test" but at the practice space with the band jaws are dropping.

It's largely contextual. Talk to your builders. Let them know what you use and how you tend to use it. We can usually suggest things or adapt what we do to your rig.

It's all about harmony. When you find a fuzz that sings with YOUR rig, it's magic!

Trending Topics