Strictly FUZZ

Lung plunger

THAT is as nice a 335 as has ever been, and all the better for having had a proper refret. Tell us more about it - at least, the year.

as for what pickups are good for fuzz ... :dunno

most should be adaptable to fuzzes to some degree

We need our brilliant fuzz builders like @Tom Von Kramm @basicaudio or @pickdropper or who else hangs around ... @songtalk ... i know there’s many others who know a lot about this

I once thought if a guitar worked well into a 5E3 it would work well into fuzz but that’s a pretty narrow vintage-spec approach
Hey thanks for the compliments dude, much appreciated. About the guitar.. It was made in 2000, Nashville. A regular Dot I believe. It's taken over a year and a half, but I think I've finally bonded with it. It's an awesome player, and handles fuzz/gain amazingly.

Empros

I was actually going to ask what everyone prefers with their fuzz... p90s, single coils, regular, low wind, or hot humbuckers? I'm pretty set on replacing my bridge pickup when I replace the bunk pots. Just dunno, too many choices. I loved the BG Pure90s I used to have, but he's at roughly 8 weeks lead time.
All of them sound great with fuzz.

It really depends on the fuzz, too. My Spooky Tooth and Fuzz Mutant sound best with my Tele pickups.
My Scarab Deluxe sounds best with Humbuckers.
Texsur, Orpheum, Marq Won, Foxton, Unpleasant Surprise all sound best with P90s to me.

The way I've seen it, in general:

Single Coils, being the lowest output (usually) and thinnest pickups will usually let the Fuzz take over the most. You'll get most of the fuzz pedal with single coils.

P90s will impart some of their character on the fuzz.

Humbuckers will drive the fuzz harder so less fuzz character.

That's all generalizing, and really depends on the guitar, amp, fuzz... The real answer is they'll all sound awesome!

songtalk

Damn, have got a few pages to catch up on. Here's mine, and it sounds weird but someone had to die for me to get this old girl.

I was actually going to ask what everyone prefers with their fuzz... p90s, single coils, regular, low wind, or hot humbuckers? I'm pretty set on replacing my bridge pickup when I replace the bunk pots. Just dunno, too many choices. I loved the BG Pure90s I used to have, but he's at roughly 8 weeks lead time.

For me, everything has its place. I find that some fuzzes really like low output pickups to do their magic and others really benefit from some thick chunky slamming pickups. Some fuzzes need a hot amp with some mids and some are right at home in a scooped clean machine. Some don't reach unity and really only want to be used in a studio. Some sound awful when you plug in right after buying it to "test" but at the practice space with the band jaws are dropping.

It's largely contextual. Talk to your builders. Let them know what you use and how you tend to use it. We can usually suggest things or adapt what we do to your rig.

It's all about harmony. When you find a fuzz that sings with YOUR rig, it's magic!

Thanks! (And everything I do seems to be 70s-something. I guess it was the decade when my tastes solidified.)

Thanks, David!

Yeah, this is a real time improv, like just about everything I slap up. I used to add that as a comment more regularly. Now I just comment when I put up something that's overdubbed, or heavily edited.
I was born in '70. I was raised on that music at a very early age. I'm convinced that was the Renaissance period in recorded music.

fishleehooker

Supporting Member
Only had a moment to play today but I found a spot that I LOVE on my Spiral Brute!! Really starting to learn that one and love it for what it is. Its obviously a GREAT looking piece of equipment

To be clear I have dug it since day 1, but I am getting to REALLY like it.

Last edited:

Lung plunger

All of them sound great with fuzz.

It really depends on the fuzz, too. My Spooky Tooth and Fuzz Mutant sound best with my Tele pickups.
My Scarab Deluxe sounds best with Humbuckers.
Texsur, Orpheum, Marq Won, Foxton, Unpleasant Surprise all sound best with P90s to me.

The way I've seen it, in general:

Single Coils, being the lowest output (usually) and thinnest pickups will usually let the Fuzz take over the most. You'll get most of the fuzz pedal with single coils.

P90s will impart some of their character on the fuzz.

Humbuckers will drive the fuzz harder so less fuzz character.

That's all generalizing, and really depends on the guitar, amp, fuzz... The real answer is they'll all sound awesome!
For me, everything has its place. I find that some fuzzes really like low output pickups to do their magic and others really benefit from some thick chunky slamming pickups. Some fuzzes need a hot amp with some mids and some are right at home in a scooped clean machine. Some don't reach unity and really only want to be used in a studio. Some sound awful when you plug in right after buying it to "test" but at the practice space with the band jaws are dropping.

It's largely contextual. Talk to your builders. Let them know what you use and how you tend to use it. We can usually suggest things or adapt what we do to your rig.

It's all about harmony. When you find a fuzz that sings with YOUR rig, it's magic!
Some really great analysis, advice, and takes right here. I never really thought about how a humbucker drives the fuzz like it does an amp. I guess that's why some compress too much or get muddy. Thanks y'all.

anxiousmofo

Birthday today. Got a used Push 2 as my present. Floored by it. So great to sketch out little song ideas and then fuzz out over them.

My son is pretty enamored with the device, too. Will be good for bonding.

took the Hooligan out of storage today. Was getting the fattest horn tones like never before.

another satisfied customer.

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Gold Supporting Member
Your description of the Sore and Soar controls match what my ear told me. Thank you
ah, cool.
i think that "sore" and "soar" may well be bias ctrls on 2 of the 3 transistors, but i was trying to describe what i thought the overall "effects of use" are for me w/the DeS v2.
certainly, both "sore" and "soar" also deeply affect timbral content, as well..... again, even moreso when viewed as some kinda dual-"whole".
wut?
did i say that?
ha! i did.

chandra

The mom & pop in town has a used Mastotron for $89, was tempted but these pots just gotta go. How you like it?
I like it a lot. Pretty different from some of the other fuzzes that I have currently, and the Relax/Push option is great for adjusting based on pickups. I really like the Subs option. Wish it was in a different area though.

I say get it. I doubt I’ll be selling mine anytime soon. Well built, sounds good, unique enough to live amongst other fuzzes.

Trending Topics