• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Strictly FUZZ

Empros

I'm hankering for a Tele. Any recommendations?
My Tele's got P90s and my Jazzmaster's got Tele pickups.. I'm the wrong one to ask... They're both Danocasters, which seem to go for absurd prices now.

If I had to get one now, it'd probably get a plain old regular Fender Tele.
Or that new Fender Jimmy Page Dragon Tele to make my 13 year old self's dreams come true....

fitzo

Greybeard
Gold Supporting Member
Several years back I had an impulse to get a Tele to roll pickups. I picked up a Mexican Tele with a maple board new off the shelf from my local purveyor. The pickups and electronics sounded like one would expect from a cheap Tele and were yanked immediately and replaced with Klein Epic Broadcasters, 4-way wiring, and a ToneStyler tone control. It has a great neck that is as stable as a rock and fits my arthritic hands great; the neck has never needed adjustment after initial setup and the same can't be said for the Andersons I usually play. And, after 4 years of hanging out of the case in the dry (inside) Midwestern winters, there is no fret sprout. Impressive.

The Kleins sounded so perfectly old-school with an icepick back pickup that I have never changed them out, though lately I've been thinking about trying something else, perhaps something noiseless.

Might well be the best bang-for-the-buck guitar I've owned in the course of a lot of guitars over the last 50-some years. Sometimes you get lucky.

cbm

Gold Supporting Member
When I wanted a Tele for a project, I ended up with a G&L ASAT Special. It's Tele shaped, but has the larger G&L MFD pickups, which are sort of like the next evolution of Jazzmaster pickups, but wider range. It also has the G&L Saddle Lock top-loader bridge, which is a very nice design. Leo Fender never stopped coming up with improvements. I like both of these improvements on the ASAT Special, and like all of the ASAT models, is well-regarded among Tele lovers, but the ASAT Special is possibly the least traditional of the ASAT models.

Bryan T

guitar owner
Double Platinum Member
When I wanted a Tele for a project, I ended up with a G&L ASAT Special. It's Tele shaped, but has the larger G&L MFD pickups, which are sort of like the next evolution of Jazzmaster pickups, but wider range. It also has the G&L Saddle Lock top-loader bridge, which is a very nice design. Leo Fender never stopped coming up with improvements. I like both of these improvements on the ASAT Special, and like all of the ASAT models, is well-regarded among Tele lovers, but the ASAT Special is possibly the least traditional of the ASAT models.
One of my all-time favorite neck pickups. Very versatile.

biffoz

@3waytie4last: Digging that butterscotch-Bigsby beauty! Need!

A Covidian fairy tale . . .

One more lockdown monday
Another meditation
My friend knockout monkey
Brand new medication
Chasing something restless
Fearing what will come
Poison in the garden
Looking towards my next rest

Last edited:
I've got way more Tele recommendations here than I ever did in the Guitars In General forum, which was a big goose egg. I want that Tele because I'm really hankering to get that Spaghetti Western twang and FUZZ. The Tele has everything to do with FUZZ n Twang for me. Plus, the impeccable intonation I keep hearing about. I really want that "plank of wood with a neck" design. I've played a few and always loved the neck and natural tone just going straight into a Twin, slathered in 'verb. The ones I've played had chunky necks, which I prefer over thin ones. Thinking about the butterscotch/maple neck ones, but I like rosewood necks and jumbo frets. Thanks for the replies.

Trending Topics